Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My 2004 Carrera coupe has developed a leak.  It started after I flushed my cooling system.  Rather sure it is around the AOS/associated lines.  I've read various opinions about the difficulty of removing the AOS.  But what I am interested in doing is just replacing those lines.  Any experience or opinions on doing this?  Specifically, is it even possible?  Especially if this can be done without removing the intake manifold?

Also I am only finding the upper oil separator coolant hose.  What about the second one?

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

If you are in a mild climate ,the coolant hoses to the AOS are redundant. Some just disconnect and plug them. Search for details and comments.

Having done an AOS replacement on my car, you cannot access the AOS coolant lines without removing the Bank 1 intake.  No way to get to those hoses and clamps, even with the motor dropped down to the lowest point.  You might as well just replace the AOS while you're at it.

The coolant lines #12 and #13 - #12 comes from the water pump and #13 crosses over and goes down underneath the engine.

See diagram here http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=996-99-05&section=104-10

For a temporary fix, or total bypass of the coolant to the AOS, one just needs to plug the two hoses or find a way to connect them together.

Edited by DBJoe996

Posted (edited)

Guys,

I just removed my AOS (detailed removal write up to follow later) and noticed that the 2 coolant lines located on the sunflower face area of the AOS have no hoses attached to them!  Obviously the AOS was previously replaced but the original hoses were never connected.  And these 2 nipples were not blocked off/bypassed or connected together as mentioned above. 

So my question is where do these 2 AOS coolant hoses go/connect to? 

When I was pulling the car apart, the thin coolant hose that goes from the engine block cap (right below the alternator and connected to the joining socket part Number 99610622652) was connected directly to the 3 way splitter hose (which connects to the water pump and the expansion tank).  I'm thinking this is hose 13?

I'm thinking this coolant hose should originally be going to the AOS (right side nipple of the face) and then the left side nipple of the AOS coolant hose (hose 12?) should be going to the connection on the 3 way splitter hose?   I'm really confused now.

Car is a 1999 manual cab C4.

Edited by rhkwon

That doesn't make much sense.  The coolant lines going to the AOS are under constant pressure from the coolant system from the connection on the water pump, so they have to either be internally blocked or connected together to make a loop bypass.  The coolant lines to the AOS help heat up the AOS during low temp running/first start up to assist with air/oil separation.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Richard in Alberta
      Greetings - I have traced a coolant leak to the rear of the alternator - wondering  if anyone else has seen this and whether its repairable or I just have to commit to replacing it (once I can find a replacement - they seem to be rather hard to find at the moment).... Cheers.
    • By Leona31
      Hi there, new to the forum and new to Boxster 986 (2months).
      I recently discovered that my Boxster is leaking coolant, it all started when I parked it for like 5 hours in a slanted spot with the weight going towards the driver side, came back to go back home and noticed a big mark of coolant under the car. Once I got home I checked the water pump and thermostat area and that’s all dry and no bad signs on the pump at all (there were changed by previews owner about 3 years ago) also not a bad reservoir tank, it’s all dry under the carpet and removed the lid to see the release valve and everything is dry in there too. With further inspection under the car it seems like it’s coming from top of the engine and way back away from water pump. I went on top the engine and saw a little puddle of coolant (pink) sitting on top of the engine (car was running at running temp) vacuumed it to see any new leaks and couldn’t see anything leaking anymore. My question is are there any hoses or anymore coolant system parts under the throttle body that I should be aware of? That was May 12, I’ve been keeping an eye under the car, and coolant level and can’t see anything leaking under the car anymore. I’m assuming the small leak on top the engine gets burnt off and doesn’t make it down. Car is running perfectly, not overheating or flashing temp light. I’m very skilled and comfortable working in the car but since I’m new to it I would like to know what I’m getting into. 

Sorry for the long post 

• By Bilmar72
      Hi Everyone,

I am intrigued.  Attached is a photograph of an oil leak from the front of the engine of my 2010 Boxster S.  The pics show the front upper and lower oil pan just below the front engine mount when the leak was at its worst.  Of course this is the 3.4 DFI engine, the car is pristine and has only covered 33,000 kms.

The history is that the leak was diagnosed as a faulty AOS at the last service a month ago and the AOS was changed.  But the leak persisted, not a lot, occasionally a spot on the garage floor but not always.  Looking from above and from behind the front seats the engine appeared to be completely dry above the upper oil pan.  Also the PDK had become very sluggish and unpredictable when taking off from a standstill but otherwise the car appears to run fine.

When I reported back to the dealer they advised that both problems were caused by the AOS.  They said that the new AOS was a faulty part and happily agreed to replace at no cost.  This has now been done and after a hot 250 km run the leak has stopped but there is still some oil residue around the lower pan.  But nothing like in the attached picture.  The dealer advises that this is oil leaking from the intakes left from the bad AOS and that it will clear over time.

Miraculously the PDK is back to perfection so I guess the dealer knows his stuff.  But does this make any sense?

• By IanT
      My 1998 Boxster suddenly had hot start issues where if left in the sun here in Texas for a few hours would then crank but not fire unless you kept cranking and pressed the throttle. No issues when starting cold. It had thrown some evap leak codes a few times and a secondary AI once but nothing consistent and would also suffer from idle issues if hot start was hard.

Having read many threads I decided that it was not fuel pressure related as in my experience fuel pumps either work or they do not and the same applies to the associated relay.

I read someone blocked off the valve under the lhs air intake plenum and when I did this the hot start problem disappeared but gave other idle issues.

I decided to replace this valve and in the process also decided to clean the throttle body and iacv when I discovered oil in the aos and j tube the aos was replaced 3 years ago.

Having replaced the valve and the aos the car appears to be running better than ever.

I had no white smoke issues or oil cap pressure test problems and the old valve was in the closed position when I removed it so that may not have been an issue.

This whole situation had gone on for many weeks and also gave air leak codes in both banks but using a smoke generator revealed no issues.
    • By afilsinger
      I am starting to prepare my car for a track day at Chuckwalla valley raceway at the end of the month, and I was told that the car as it sits has oiling issues?  My car is a 2003 Carrera.  I bought the car last year with 74k miles and immediately did the following:  LN IMS bearing, Waterpump, coil packs, spark plugs, all filters and fluids, clutch + flywheel and a stock AOS. In anticipation of the event, I am going to do an oil change from M1 0w-40 to the Joe Gibbs dt40 oil suggested by Jake Raby along with fresh filters.  Is there anything else I need to do to not have oil starvation?  Is this issue blown out of proportion?  does the 2qt sump extension make that much of a difference? will it affect the streetability?  I am running 200tw tires.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.