Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

porsche 996 noise on cold start

Hello,

After 5 minuets when the engine is warmed up that sound goes away and I hear this sound here like there is something is leaking:

Please comment and let me know what you guys think.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Loren
fixed video showing

The first video is the SAI pump. Needs lubrication or replacement. I can't hear the noise you're talking about in the second video.

Thank you very much I was worried it would was something else. I will look into how to lubricate it. I was even scared to drive it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Ahsai,

After some investigation I did find an air leak on the vacuum line and fixed which fixed everything and car runs great.

I also found out where the coolant is leaking from as attached in the picture. I just don’t think that’s the job I can do.
6f4d7b95077556b1ddeebbeeb37dd258.jpg
After hearing that I will have to drop the engine scared me off.

I will try to take it to a mechanic tomorrow and see how much they will quote me for it.

Your recommendations or comments are always welcome.

Peter

Yes, a lot of things need to be removed. You may also need to LOWER the engine (not dropping the engine). Support the engine bottom and remove the engine mount nuts, then you can lower the engine by a few inches and that creates all the space you need to work on top of the intake manifolds.

• Like 2

I'm not sure that oil leaking from what looks like the oil cooler would make that gurgling sound.

check out other threads on the forum.

How's the coolant level?  Have you put on the updated 997 reservoir cap?

glad you found the vacuum line leak.  Good luck.

I'm not sure that oil leaking from what looks like the oil cooler would make that gurgling sound.
check out other threads on the forum.
How's the coolant level?  Have you put on the updated 997 reservoir cap?
glad you found the vacuum line leak.  Good luck.

The noise is from the SAI pump and I got that fixed just like what Ahsai mentioned. The post I added was from a coolant leak I found under my car.

Yes, a lot of things need to be removed. You may also need to LOWER the engine (not dropping the engine). Support the engine bottom and remove the engine mount nuts, then you can lower the engine by a few inches and that creates all the space you need to work on top of the intake manifolds.

It’s hard for me to do all that since I don’t have a garage, but thank you for the details. I took the car to reputable Porsche mechanic and they were very honest with me with decent price quotes. They have found more vacuum air leak and they are fixing that as well. I can’t wait to get the car back. I already missed it.
I also hope that I could have some peace after that for a while at least with no issues.