Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

The common coolant pipe issue seems to only affect the V8 Cayenne's. I'm wondering if my coolant leak is a common problem too. I've been losing coolant on my 3.6 V6 Cayenne at a fairly slow rate compared to the other more common issue. I'm having to top it off about once every month or two. Last weekend I was changing the oil and started investigating the leak. It looks to be coming from a black plastic coolant hose fitting on the back of the engine, passenger side.

Has anyone seen this problem before? I'm wondering if there is just a bad o-ring behind that fitting or if the whole part needs to be replaced. And if anyone knows the part number for this I would greatly appreciate that too!

Thanks

IMG_8475_LI_Moment(2).jpg

IMG_8476.jpg

The common coolant pipe issue seems to only affect the V8 Cayenne's. I'm wondering if my coolant leak is a common problem too. I've been losing coolant on my 3.6 V6 Cayenne at a fairly slow rate compared to the other more common issue. I'm having to top it off about once every month or two. Last weekend I was changing the oil and started investigating the leak. It looks to be coming from a black plastic coolant hose fitting on the back of the engine, passenger side.

Has anyone seen this problem before? I'm wondering if there is just a bad o-ring behind that fitting or if the whole part needs to be replaced. And if anyone knows the part number for this I would greatly appreciate that too!

Thanks
IMG_8475_LI_Moment(2).thumb.jpg.d03334532034cbea116b75596f7252cf.jpg
IMG_8476.thumb.jpg.36bab039a773f39098fb3850b75aff8c.jpg

I've had the same problem in my 2008 v6. After removing the 2 bolts I saw it had a rubber gasket. Waiting for the dealership to call me when it comes in. (Was the cheapest there)
It's technically for the thermostat. It's called a flange socket and sealing ring. Here's the part #'s 95510623100 Flange Socket
95510643100 Sealing Ring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Flip said:

I've had the same problem in my 2008 v6. After removing the 2 bolts I saw it had a rubber gasket. Waiting for the dealership to call me when it comes in. (Was the cheapest there)
It's technically for the thermostat. It's called a flange socket and sealing ring. Here's the part #'s 95510623100 Flange Socket
95510643100 Sealing Ring

Thanks for the PN! Doesn't look very expensive, my local dealership has it for $26 and the o-ring is less than $2.

I think the thermostat is on the back of the 3.2 V6 but for the 3.6 V6 the thermostat is on the side of the engine (driver side). I know this because I replaced it during my cooling system refresh at 90k miles. However, there does seem to be a housing for something back there, I'm just not sure what it is..

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the PN! Doesn't look very expensive, my local dealership has it for $26 and the o-ring is less than $2.

I think the thermostat is on the back of the 3.2 V6 but for the 3.6 V6 the thermostat is on the side of the engine (driver side). I know this because I replaced it during my cooling system refresh at 90k miles. However, there does seem to be a housing for something back there, I'm just not sure what it is..

I thought so too but when I pulled up the diagram it was listed under :
Porsche Cayenne M55.01 Water Pump Thermostat Housing

2 minutes ago, Mr.Flip said:

I thought so too but when I pulled up the diagram it was listed under :
Porsche Cayenne M55.01 Water Pump Thermostat Housing

Interesting. When I did the cooling system refresh I replaced the water pump (front of engine) and thermostat (side of engine) so that confuses the hell out of me why they would call that a water pump thermostat housing if neither of those components are back there.

Was it a fairly straight forward job? Doesn't look like I would have to remove much to get to it. I may take some pictures and make a DIY for the job.

35 minutes ago, shonuff said:

Interesting. When I did the cooling system refresh I replaced the water pump (front of engine) and thermostat (side of engine) so that confuses the hell out of me why they would call that a water pump thermostat housing if neither of those components are back there.

Was it a fairly straight forward job? Doesn't look like I would have to remove much to get to it. I may take some pictures and make a DIY for the job.

Yeah it was an easy job. All I did was remove the plastic covers on the passenger side of the engine bay, the exhaust shield is held with one bolt that, once removed, will pull off the clips it holds onto in the bottom. From there I just felt the two bolts (one on top one on bottom) of the plastic flange, if I'm not mistaken they are both either 12mm or 13mm. 

Edited by Mr.Flip

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks to Mr. Flips post with part #s. I was able to fix mine.  Real easy, just be sure to "seat" the 30 torx bit into bolts, the are somewhat hard to reach and seem soft metal. 

Approximately 2 cups of coolant came out that I captured with a bowl then returned it after the job was done. (DO NOT remove coolant cap during process; coolant is under pressure and more will come out).

Before and after pics. 

20191230114545.jpg

20200104080727.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, does anyone know if the 3.6 twin turbo engine is the same? I just found a coolant drip in my 2015 CayenneS. Is it easier to get to from the top or bottom? I tried to find it, but couldn't see it. Here is a pic of the leak location that I took while under the car.  I'm freaking out a bit because I bought the car 2 weeks ago, just hit 99k.

20210716_145901.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 7/16/2021 at 5:59 PM, plasticroad4 said:

Hi, does anyone know if the 3.6 twin turbo engine is the same? I just found a coolant drip in my 2015 CayenneS. Is it easier to get to from the top or bottom? I tried to find it, but couldn't see it. Here is a pic of the leak location that I took while under the car.  I'm freaking out a bit because I bought the car 2 weeks ago, just hit 99k.

20210716_145901.jpg

did you determine the source of that leak? I am having the same leak from that location on my 2016 Cayenne GTS. it only occurs when the car is running and as reach 200F (thermostat opening?) and it is a steady stream of coolant not a drip. BTW that electrical connector goes the pulse sensor, seems like a strange place for coolant.

Hi, Thanks for responding! I did find the leak. It was coming from the overflow tube running on the top of the engine. It was part #94810602622, a small composite tube. It had a small split at one of the connections and was letting coolant run down the top of the valley, which then drained out through the area in the picture. Porsche of Bellevue had a few in stock and indicated that it was a common failure point. Why they would use a plastic coolant tube, in a high heat area, I dunno.

Replacement involved removing all of the fuel injection hoses/wires and it took me about 3 hours to do it in my driveway, with basic tools & torx bits. 

data_.jpg

Thank you for the info! I was about to have the car towed 100 miles to a dealer.  see my leak area pic, just like yours. Yes the coolant system has too much plastic!

Any tutorials on removing the intake system that you used to guide you (and then me!)?

20211021_170755.jpg

• 1 year later...

I just purchased a 2016 GTS from Seattle WA and drove it back to Scottsdale AZ. Luckily it made it all the way without issue. 76k mi on the odometer. been driving it for a month and just today same issue with temp sensor warning light and to fill the reservoir tank. The overtemp dash warining was intermittent and glad I found this post. I had to deal with the dreaded coolant pipe leak on my 3.0 v6 panamera engine which cost me $2300 to fix for a epoxy plastic pipe. I was looking under the hood as to where the leak was and thought the same as the previous pics with the water at the transfer case sensor. I removed the engine cover and on the left hand side coolant vent hose, I can clearly see the plastic pipe cracked at the barb fitting and it's wet. Deciding if I should have my mechanic do the work or try to tackle it myself. 

PXL_20230428_020444444.jpg

Edited by rudyo78427
added image of issue

• 2 months later...