Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Belt change with side effect

I have a 2004 Carrera C4s Cab and I am getting ready to change the belt.  Its looks good, but I am concerned with the age of it. I was recently told by a Porsche mechanic that when I put a new belt on it, the water pump will soon go.  He further said that the tension from the new belt is greater than the old one and the strain from the new one will make the pump go soon after.  Then, he told me that a new water pump is approximately $1000.00 bucks.  

Does anyone have any knowledge about new belts verses old belts ruining the water pump??

How old is your water pump? It should be replaced every 4 or 5 yrs (some may even suggest shorter interval). A new belt may put more pressure on everything but that should not be a concern as the system is designed for a new belt. Also the tensioner governs the belt preasure so that helps maintaining the pressure even on an old belt (to a certain degree).

$1k sounds about right for a shop.

• Admin

I think Ahsai touched on a potential issue and that would be the pulleys and tensioner. These are known wear points on the Mx6 engines and you should always check them to make sure they spin true and do not have any wobble. The damage that can be done by a broken pulley or tensioner at high RPMs is unbelievable - until it happens.

So, check your pulleys if you have not already.

I think the basic question posed here has been asked before.

The car involved is a Porsche.  These cars are expensive to maintain, but tend to age well if the maintenance is kept up.

Don't hesitate to change out the water pump as noted.  If in doubt, your always better off doing the work earlier rather than later.

Keep in mind that the expenses will rapidly rise if serious repair is ultimately needed.  It's not a bad idea to change the battery at about 15k as well.

And for sure check the pulleys.  Check the idler pulley off the alternator.  If there are any noticeable whining sounds, change out the pulley.

The ultimate Porsche philosophy can be summed in the old phrase, "don't be penny wise and pound foolish."  "A stitch in time" will save nine.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

changing waterpump isn't hard to do yourself, when you have decent variety of tools(sockets) also change the thermostat while you there for a lower temp one(only 4 bolts). It should not take longer then a day inexperienced. write ups available all over internet.