Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche 996 key remote doesn’t work

Hello,

I had this car for about few month now and since I got it the remote never worked.

Things I have tried:

1). Replaced battery

2). Followed this video to reset key:

3). Tried a few things by locking and unlocking the door and it only worked a few random times then it stoped.

The car was sold to me with an after market Sony CD player and an after market amp.

I haven’t tried taking it to Porsche yet and I was wondering if there is anything I could do to fix it. The one time it worked randomly I liked how the seat also moves into position. I would really like for it to function like it should.

2003 Porsche 996 with 83,000 miles.

Other observations: The car switch for locking and unlocking the doors sometimes doesn’t work. I have to turn the car on usually for it to work or use the key manually to open passenger door or fuel tank access door. Not sure if that is normal but when trying to lock the doors using the car switch while driving the car would lock doors and sound the door locked alarm which is funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin

Have you looked at the circuit board in the key?

Sometimes the buttons just plain wear out.

A great solution is to buy the design key from Porsche (head only). Then transfer your immobilizer pill and metal key to the new design key.

911KEYHEAD.gif

Fits 2001-2004.5 Carrera 996 (except Targa). Also fits Boxster models with a one or two button remote (1997-2000).

Installation Guide - CLICK HERE

About $135 from your dealer.

• Like 1

Have you looked at the circuit board in the key?
Sometimes the buttons just plain wear out.

A great solution is to buy the design key from Porsche (head only). Then transfer your immobilizer pill and metal key to the new design key.
911KEYHEAD.gif.d4f095c7456d9122083ec590fbea034e.gif
Fits 2001-2004.5 Carrera 996 (except Targa). Also fits Boxster models with a one or two button remote (1997-2000).

Installation Guide - CLICK HERE

About $135 from your dealer.

Thank you so much Loren for your advice. I will look into it. Just to add the led on the works fine each time I press the button. It blinks red. Could be the problem be still in the key nothing in the car?

• 2 weeks later...

The description for the Porsche Design key says that you also need to transfer your old circuit board. Unfortunately, that's likely the culprit. The fix below may help. I haven't tried it yet but it's on my list, as neither of my key remotes are currently working.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, wyovino said:

Hi Loren,

https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=996RECONTROL

It says:

SPECIAL NOTE: Requires programming by a Porsche dealership to start your car and operate remote functions.

Can I avoid the dealer programming if I transfer the pill?

Yes, the pill is what the programing is all about.

On 12/16/2017 at 6:55 PM, sky217 said:

Thank you so much Loren for your advice. I will look into it. Just to add the led on the works fine each time I press the button. It blinks red. Could be the problem be still in the key nothing in the car?

My 986 key is doing the same thing, i haven't looks at the codes yet... but i suspect its time for a key and a trip to the dealer. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, rocket625 said:

My 986 key is doing the same thing, i haven't looks at the codes yet... but i suspect its time for a key and a trip to the dealer. 

I have done this a number of times.

To program a key you need:

- all the current keys to the car

- the car

- your cars IPAS codes (obtainable from any Porsche dealer with proof of ownership)

- Porsche PST2 (for older cars) or Porsche PIWIS for newer cars

9 hours ago, wyovino said:

Hi Loren,

https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=996RECONTROL

It says:

SPECIAL NOTE: Requires programming by a Porsche dealership to start your car and operate remote functions.

Can I avoid the dealer programming if I transfer the pill?

Porsche keys have 4 components, outer shell, transponder pill to talk to the immobilizer, circuit board that transmits signals to lock/unlock the car, and blade to unlock the ign switch and steering wheel lock. The pill and circuit board must be introduced to the car in order to work.

If you just transfer the pill and the blade you will have a  key that has no remote. You must also transfer the board, which in your case is probably bad.  If that key head comes with a board you will have to have the dealer program it into the car. 

Edited by fpb111
Add information

1 hour ago, Loren said:

I have done this a number of times.

To program a key you need:

- all the current keys to the car

- the car

- your cars IPAS codes (obtainable from any Porsche dealer with proof of ownership)

- Porsche PST2 (for older cars) or Porsche PIWIS for newer cars

whats proof of owner ship the registration or do you need the title?

I received my new remote key fob today. I transferred the transponder pill and the key blade to the new fob. I tried all of the resetting procedures I've found online and the remote still doesn't work.  It looks like that's $170 down the drain, unless someone has other suggestions.

On 12/27/2017 at 8:36 PM, fpb111 said:

Porsche keys have 4 components, outer shell, transponder pill to talk to the immobilizer, circuit board that transmits signals to lock/unlock the car, and blade to unlock the ign switch and steering wheel lock. The pill and circuit board must be introduced to the car in order to work.

If you just transfer the pill and the blade you will have a  key that has no remote. You must also transfer the board, which in your case is probably bad.  If that key head comes with a board you will have to have the dealer program it into the car. 

Unfortunately I saw this reply after I ordered the new key fob. Bummer.

You can buy the whole key and just transfer the transponder pill and metal key blade - that will work fine too.

Hello Loren,

My car switch for the doors to pick and unlock blinks red but doesn’t work now. Any clues? Sometime it works and sometime it doesn’t.

• Admin
1 minute ago, sky217 said:

Hello Loren,

My car switch for the doors to pick and unlock blinks red but doesn’t work now. Any clues? Sometime it works and sometime it doesn’t.

Do a search here.

1. Try a new battery (and clean an debris from the circuit board).

2. Try the reset by reversing the battery for a few seconds.

3. Inspect the circuit board especially the buttons - they do wear out.

Do a search here.
1. Try a new battery (and clean an debris from the circuit board).
2. Try the reset by reversing the battery for a few seconds.
3. Inspect the circuit board especially the buttons - they do wear out.

I am trying to reset. Reverse the battery on the key? +and-?

The key apparently had a bad battery.

• 2 years later...

I need some help and am willing to pay for it. Previously I sent my ECU Imoblizer to a California electronics company which was listed on Ebay with a spare for a replacement.  They repaired it but it did not have the separate cable fitting so I sent it back and they sent me a different unit with cable. The car still did not start. So I sent the replacement ECU Imoblizer along with the engine DME with keys to get them to match them up, i.e. talk to each other.  They came back and I installed them. The car still will not start. The Durametric Code says wrong key or transponder pill.  The key fits the door lock, unlock and locks it, sounds the horn, etc.  They key rotates in the ignition just fine but does not start the car. I have replaced the ignition switch lock system but kept the original cylinder with the key. I have replaced the number 53 relay fuses right down to a new starter.  I checked all the fuses and they are okay. I do not know what else the hect to do.  The local Porsche dealership can’t give me a straight answer about how much their analyzer costs will be although Durametric says that their codes will be the same as mine. Can anyone assist me???

Arnold Husser
kojac@triad.rr.com

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Arnold Husser said:

I need some help and am willing to pay for it. Previously I sent my ECU Imoblizer to a California electronics company which was listed on Ebay with a spare for a replacement.  They repaired it but it did not have the separate cable fitting so I sent it back and they sent me a different unit with cable. The car still did not start. So I sent the replacement ECU Imoblizer along with the engine DME with keys to get them to match them up, i.e. talk to each other.  They came back and I installed them. The car still will not start. The Durametric Code says wrong key or transponder pill.  The key fits the door lock, unlock and locks it, sounds the horn, etc.  They key rotates in the ignition just fine but does not start the car. I have replaced the ignition switch lock system but kept the original cylinder with the key. I have replaced the number 53 relay fuses right down to a new starter.  I checked all the fuses and they are okay. I do not know what else the hect to do.  The local Porsche dealership can’t give me a straight answer about how much their analyzer costs will be although Durametric says that their codes will be the same as mine. Can anyone assist me???

Arnold Husser
kojac@triad.rr.com

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

From the sounds of it, the company in CA sent you a different unit which does not recognize your keys.  You need to either get your original unit back from them, or you are about to spend a lot of money for keys, immobilizer, and programing at your local Porsche dealer.  These units cannot simply be swapped, they have to be programmed to match the car and keys.

20 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

From the sounds of it, the company in CA sent you a different unit which does not recognize your keys.  You need to either get your original unit back from them, or you are about to spend a lot of money for keys, immobilizer, and programing at your local Porsche dealer.  These units cannot simply be swapped, they have to be programmed to match the car and keys.

Agreed.  A trip to your local stealership seems to be on the horizon.  Good luck. 

There is so much wrong with this approach I don't know  where to begin.  Agreed, a trip to the dealer MAY sort this out, but I would hold onto your wallet.  The key, immobilzer and DME/ECU must all be programmed with the same codes only Porsche Stuttgart can provide, to a licensed Porsche dealer with PIWIs.  What you have done is replace parts with other parts and expect them to work.  It doesn't work like that.  Key provides both the mechanical laser cut key blade that works the electro-mechanical parts of the door locks and key switch, BUT, also includes an passive RFID pill that must match the key code programmed into  the immobilzer.  The key RFID pill is read when the key is inserted into the ignition switch by the ignition switch surround. The pill must match the immobilzer key  codes.  If it is correct, the  immobilzer communicates a go (or no go) to the DME/ECU.  All must be programmed the same. The codes in each must all match or the car will not start.

You are looking at least at several hundreds of dollars at a Porsche dealer for programming.  If the keys, immobilzer and DME/ECU need to be replaced, several thousands of dollars...at a Porsche dealer.  And bonus, the immobilzer can only be reprogrammed a limited number of times, then it must be replaced. Walk very carefully on this one. Remember, this is a security feature  of our cars so they cannot be stolen, and only the Porsche factory in Stuttgart will provide the codes to a licensed Porsche dealer.  Good luck.

• Upvote 1