Jump to content

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Recommended Posts

My catalytic converter bolts are in bad shape and I want to replace them. These bolts seemed to be welded onto the cat.

 

Have any of you ever removed these? Do you know how I will get these off without damaging the cat?

 


 

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3759.jpg

IMG_3760.jpg

IMG_3761.jpg

Edited by leonidasb22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 7:56 PM, Porschedane said:

I do t believe they are welded onto the flance.  Just hit them hard with a hamme that should know them out. 

The replacement Porsche bolts now have a hex head.

Edited by leonidasb22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bolts are pressed in, you have to burn them red hot with a welding torch, and than tap with a hammer if you do not have hydraulic press. When using a hammer you have to remove the lambda probes, they can easily fail by the vibrations of the hammer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RFM said:

The bolts are pressed in, you have to burn them red hot with a welding torch, and than tap with a hammer if you do not have hydraulic press. When using a hammer you have to remove the lambda probes, they can easily fail by the vibrations of the hammer.

Wow okay RFM. Thanks for the info. Seems like you removed these bolts before.

 

Is a hydraulic press easier or the torch and hammer is the preferred method? 

 

I may try to find a machine shop that would do it for me if the torch method is still difficult. Do you think a big steel C clamp could do the trick, without torching?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leonidasb22 said:

Wow okay RFM. Thanks for the info. Seems like you removed these bolts before.

 

Is a hydraulic press easier or the torch and hammer is the preferred method? 

 

I may try to find a machine shop that would do it for me if the torch method is still difficult. Do you think a big steel C clamp could do the trick, without torching?

Another pathway is to spray the flange with a quality penetrating oil such as Kriol, then put a suitable socket over the flat end and use a large c-clamp to manually press them out.  Doesn't always work if they are severely rusted, but many just pop out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JFP in PA said:

Another pathway is to spray the flange with a quality penetrating oil such as Kriol, then put a suitable socket over the flat end and use a large c-clamp to manually press them out.  Doesn't always work if they are severely rusted, but many just pop out.

 

I bought a heavy duty large c-clamp and tried it. It didn’t work on my bolts.  I then went to a machine shop and they heated and hammered them out for $20. 

 

Thanks everyone for your support on this issue. I'm so glad I got this resolved quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By 2lflat4
      The vehicle is a 2005 997 Carrera 3.6. I cannot find the part #'s for the 3 power steering pump mounting bolts. They are exposed after removing the power steering pump pulley. In the attached picture you will see 3 holes in an upside down U shape behind the triangular pulley mount. I tried my local dealer without any luck.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.