Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986 Tiptronic Transmission Mounts

Hi guys,

Finally getting around to replacing the transmission mounts on my 2000 Boxster Tiptronic.  I had priced this out a while back and had planned to buy the mounts only, without the brackets.  The price for the mounts has basically tripled since the last time I looked and my usual sources are mostly out of stock.  So, doing some digging and I hear that many people have replaced their 986 transmission mounts with the engine mount from a 993 (p/n 993-375-049-09).  However, the only references I see are specific to the manual transmission and I do not see anyone who has confirmed that this would work on the Tiptronic.  Given that the Tiptronic mounts are sold as Left and Right, I suspect it will not work (but I'm hoping, fingers and legs crossed, that maybe it will since these are 1/3 the cost)?

Can anyone confirm if the 993 part will fit the brackets on the 986 Tiptronic transmission mounts?

Also, has anyone tried the mounts from Function-First?  It also came up in my search and $250 for the pair seems reasonably priced.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Well I will answer my own question. Yes, the 993 engine mounts are basically equivalent and a bit cheaper. Fortunately the 986 mounts went back to normal prices so I just got those instead for just a bit more than the 993 version. Now, if I can only figure out how to get them back in...serious puzzle trying to feed the assembled unit back into place. 

• 8 months later...

I am needing to replace both myself. I have seen just the hydraulic unit for sale. Is that what you are referring to? Is it possible just to do those without taking the entire mount off? The triangular bracket appears to be riveted to the larger trans mounted brakes. Would love some help here. 

You have to remove the entire bracket but you only need to replace the hydraulic unit. No need for a new bracket unless there is something wrong with it. Right side is a challenge to remove. Best advice was to lower the trans on the jack a couple of inches to get some space to fish it out. Pay attention to the orientation of the bracket and mount assy as you pull it out because you will need to follow that orientation to get it back in. There are three bolts holding the bracket in. Do not remove the hydraulic unit until it is all removed from the car. Also note the orientation of the hydraulic unit on the bracket. It is a square fitting which you can reverse the orientation if not careful. The left side is a bit easier. Be patient, it does come out and go in as an assy on both sides.