Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Click / Ticking Noise Over Passenger's Shoulder

I have lately become bothered by a repetitive, almost rhythmic clicking/ticking noise from the area over the passenger side's shoulder. It's not a rattle or a buzzing, but a click- click- click. Not loud but definitely noticeable. The car's top has been up since it is dirty, but I moved the top up and down- no problem. Ticking continues with the passenger window in any position, doors locked or unlocked, and so far, only when the vehicle is in motion and not always at that. I have moved the passenger seat in different locations, so I don't think it's the passenger seat. It sounds like it's coming from over the passenger's shoulder, but the top's hoops seem taut and the rollhoop windblockers are securely in place. I'm not sure how to proceed... I have also examined the trim behind the seats and around the roll bar. Passenger side is a close match to driver's side, but the clicking noise is only from the passenger side. As you can tell, it's driving me nuts. Please help. How'd you get rid of the click-click-click-click...

James

I have lately become bothered by a repetitive, almost rhythmic clicking/ticking noise from the area over the passenger side's shoulder.  It's not a rattle or a buzzing, but a click- click- click.  Not loud but definitely noticeable.  The car's top has been up since it is dirty, but I moved the top up and down- no problem.  Ticking continues with the passenger window in any position, doors locked or unlocked, and so far, only when the vehicle is in motion and not always at that.  I have moved the passenger seat in different locations, so I don't think it's the passenger seat.  It sounds like it's coming from over the passenger's shoulder, but the top's hoops seem taut and the rollhoop windblockers are securely in place.  I'm not sure how to proceed... I have also examined the trim behind the seats and around the roll bar.  Passenger side is a close match to driver's side, but the clicking noise is only from the passenger side.  As you can tell, it's driving me nuts.  Please help.  How'd you get rid of the click-click-click-click...

James

I have had the same sort of sound your describing coming from over my left driver shoulder for a couple of months. I've felt all around the roll hoops and wind blocker and can't locate its source. It seams most noticeable at the start of a drive at low speeds. (MY2000)

Neil

Have you checked the snap on connector for the tension cord on your top? This is a common problem "over your shoulder" and you can find out how to locate and secure it in your owner's manual under the section concerning engine access.

I found a fix on PPBB!

I'm not sure how to attach the link, so I'm gonna copy/paste.

"Gene, I had a very annoying clicking / ticking noise when the top was up that came from the right rear of the top mechanism. It sounded like it was coming from about ear level. I finally found there was a piece of clear tape worn through to the metal it covered on a small cable guide. I covered the guide up with a new piece of 3/4 x 1 inch of packing tape and the noise went away for good (well almost for good, I have to replace the tape every three or four months)!

HereÆs how to check yours:

Open the top almost fully so that there is about 12ö between the edge of the top and body of the car. Look into the cavity where the top goes, about 6 inches from the end of the door. You will see a red cap on part of the top mechanism. Now look a few inches further to the rear and you will see a cable that terminates on a connector with a star washer and torex screw. Note that the cable is bare for about an inch and then is covered with a black insulator. Right where the bare cable ends you will see a 1ö wide thin metal plate covered with plastic tape that acts as a guide/clamp for the cable. Check to see if the piece of clear plastic tape is worn through to the metal. If it is, just cover it with a new piece of tape and youÆre in business. (Check the other side and you should see the same thing.)

E-mail me if this is not clear. Bill"

Hopefully this will help anyone else whose car has the same problem. Such a simple fix... and it works!

James