Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Navigation

Hi all,

Took delivery of my new Boxster S a few weeks ago from what the dealer had on the lot, wasn't too picky.

one of the things I noticed when hunting up and down southern california was that there were little to no cars (within the specs I was looking for at least) that had the navigation system installed. Has anyone had this system installed after the fact? A dealer close by appears to want $4k for the upgrade, which is juuuust over the $2600 Porsche wants for it as an installed option.

anyone with any experience in this area?

• Moderators

No experience other than I was talking to a mechanic yesterday and a 987 came in with some problem with the navigation unit. It had been retrofitted. I left as it was being hooked up to the PIWIS so I don't know what the issue was.

My wife's 997 did not come with nav, but she wanted it. Dealer ordered the parts and fully installed with 10% PCA discount came to a few dollars over $3K. Works great, except it didn't come with a manual and the dealer is still trying to track one down. I can post the parts list installed if you need it.

My wife's 997 did not come with nav, but she wanted it.  Dealer ordered the parts and fully installed with 10% PCA discount came to a few dollars over $3K.  Works great, except it didn't come with a manual and the dealer is still trying to track one down.  I can post the parts list installed if you need it.

Hmmm... Mine came with Nav and I don't have "Nav" manual...

You can find (and download) a generic PCM2 manual in our manual section here.

I printed that off for her right after I had the nav installed (great feature of the web site by the way), but still, if you spend $3K, it should at least come with instructions :eek:

My wife's 997 did not come with nav, but she wanted it.  Dealer ordered the parts and fully installed with 10% PCA discount came to a few dollars over $3K.  Works great, except it didn't come with a manual and the dealer is still trying to track one down.  I can post the parts list installed if you need it.

Was that 3k installed, or 3k for the parts? I have to tell you, these are darn near avionics prices we're talking about. One can find a nice moving map GPS with terrain avoidance built into it for not much more.

If you have the PNs I'd appreciate it, if not for anything else than a x-ref for the future.

Edited by mbodo

Was that 3k installed, or 3k for the parts?  I have to tell you, these are darn near avionics prices we're talking about.  One can find a nice moving map GPS with terrain avoidance built into it for not much more.

If you have the PNs I'd appreciate it, if not for anything else than a x-ref for the future.

$3K was for parts and labor, but that was with 10% PCA discount as well.

My memory is really getting bad. I thought there were several items listed, but the only part on the invoice is:

997-844-900-70, Retrofit Kit - Nav, list price $2,690

The retrofit kit includes the fiber optic cables, GPS receiver, etc. The existing screen inside the car was used.

The service manager said there is a problem with the earliest build cars, and more parts were needed. I was lucky in that I didn't have one of the first cars.

The retrofit kit includes the fiber optic cables, GPS receiver, etc.  The existing screen inside the car was used.

I'm had .. I need the screen as well. Only have the "regular" tuner installed.

update: Looks like just the parts for the retrofit are $4400 ... unbelievable.

Edited by mbodo

• 8 months later...

so I'm still on this quest to shoehorn a PCM2.1 unit into this 2005 987S.

One thing I have failed to ask before aquiring the PCM2.1 head unit (to replace the CDR24) is: What sort of key coding do I need in order to unlock the unit, if anything?

I would image that one simply cannot plug this bad boy in, tell the PIWIS it is there, and you'd be off and running.

Also, I don't think I have a clear grasp on the difference between the head units themselves. I have PN 997-642-131-05 which appears to be a relatively up to date PCM2.1 unit. I'm wondering if this unit will work in the 987, or if the 987 is restricted to one type of PCM unit?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am completely in the dark when it comes to M.O.S.T./Fiber Optic technology.

You should read TSB:

6/04 9112 Porsche Communication Management PCM 2.1, Including Navigation Module Installation Instructions -- dated 1-27-05.

This TSB is 11 pages long and covers parts needed and the installation process for the PCM2.1 in a 987.

That was one of the first places I went, and it did answer a lot of questions so far as the parts were concerned along with the general installation instructions. My questions were really stemming from the TSB itself.

The TSB states the PCM should be 997.642.101.11.FMH but in TSB 1/04 9110 states PN 997.642.131.05 are "no longer available once existing supplies are used up" (perhaps I am answering my own question). I am assuming that this P/N will work fine and just need an updated driver per 1/04 9110.

So I may have very well answered my own P/N compatibility question. :clapping:

With respect to locking/coding of these units, I'm interested in steps 11.1 - 11.6 in section "Code PCM2.1 and navigation module using PIWIS Tester."

11.2 Says to select gateway & code

11.3 CU and code

11.4 CU & code

11.5 CU & code

Are these "codes" simply machine addresses on the BUS, or are they the antitheft codes or things of that nature. I didn't recall getting an antitheft radio lecture when I picked up the car (like one would on a BMW circa 1991) explaining what my "code" was if the battery were to be replaced.

Thanks again for the help. :notworthy:

Part eleventeen of this epic saga:

I casually mentioned the TSBs related to upgrading software on the PCM2.1 units (1/04 9110 and 12/05 9110) and I believe I have officially received the "whachutalkin'bout Willis?" look from the service guys.

My unit is currently on SWVer 1.0 (04035AD1) and needs to be brought to Mod A so it can be brought to Mod B so I can get this new DVD to work, so the TSB story goes.

When you're getting the blank looks back from the dealer (aforementioned whachutalkin'bout Willis), what does one do? These update CDs appear to be provided to Porsche "free" per the TSB. Is it possible I could "locate" one and simply follow the directions myself for the update?

Any help is appreciated.

ps thanks for your infinite patience Loren!

I'm thinking the big red exclamation points are not a good thing...

post-5522-1141261366_thumb.jpg

I just updated my PCM/NAV to 2.1B tonight and got the exclamation points as well.

So far, I have not been able to play an MP3 CD, nor have I found the new NAV functions (browse by ZIP code, etc.)

I'm thinking the big red exclamation points are not a good thing...

post-5522-1141261366_thumb.jpg

I just updated my PCM/NAV to 2.1B tonight and got the exclamation points as well.

So far, I have not been able to play an MP3 CD, nor have I found the new NAV functions (browse by ZIP code, etc.)

Is there any tutorial on the web for PCM are any DVD instruction.

My head is spinning from the PCM manual.PCM doers not appear intuitive.