Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New 996TT owner

Really depends on your planned usage (e.g., track, weekend fun, daily driver, etc.), but IMO, make sure it's up to snuff in stock form (i.e., maybe fresh coils and plugs, etc.), and then start with a software tune of the ECU.  If you don't mind exhaust drone, many owners do an exhaust next.  After that, the possibilities are pretty much limitless (or limited by how much you want to spend).  You'll love it!

Just my two cents coming from a 2002 911TT (also silver), it's a high-performing beast of a car at stock.  Mine came with a ECU tune but it made emissions fail (anything other than the stock flash makes it fail a checksum like validation) despite coming with a OBD II tool that was supposed to flash the car back and forth between stock and the tune.  Florida may be easier.  The most surprising thing though was when I took the tune off and went back to stock ECU I couldn't tell a difference -- the boost was the same, etc.  I can't say that I've tried every flash out there but I don't think you're going to get too much else out of it unless you start to spend on hardware to go with it (which is far from cheap).  To each their own but in my opinion is the stock car doesn't need much so maybe drive it a few months and see how you feel before investing in mods.  Again, just my two cents, I know someone's going to disagree and say modding their car was awesome.  In another state with less stringent checks you may be ok........

Edited by Silver_TT

Its here its here  and thank you for your input.  I think I will keep it stock ecxept to uograde radio from PCM bose with nav to new with nav, sat, backup camera and bluetooth and out originan radio aside til I decide to sell it    a long way off In sure.   

Meanwhile Im looking forward to next PCA DE at Moroso ( now PBIR ) to see how I do in this compard to my prior 3.4l 996.

20180717_171815.jpg

That looks familiar (yours is a convertible though which I'm a fan of).  Your plan sounds pretty smart to me.  There are also several outstanding members here who have TT's that will be able to help you when you need it, it's a good group.  The Mezger is a beast, try not to get addicted to boost ?

Lookin' good!!  Watch that front lip...you'll likely hit that a few times to start.  For me upgrading was a personal thing.  I enjoyed reading and talking to guys that know their stuff (Kevin, Kevin, Mark, etc.) and from there made a progression of upgrades.  Oh yeah, a triple black cab.  Enjoy and drive safe.

DSC01159.JPG

DSC01225.JPG

The lip has a few small scratches but Ill leave it till I learn how low and where it is in relation  to parking. First relatively major job next week is cab top cams they sqeak, slight leak and air.....  So I wont drop rhe top till after I cha ge out bit its too hot in Miami to do rhst till October.

First order of business is to correct the top.  I need to replace the hydraulic cylinders.  Does anyone know the lengh of the hoses in 2004 996 TT cabriolet?  I need to send the proper set to exchange and that way I can open everthing up remove and replace,  close and reprogram one time.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

Top fixed ( had cylinders rebuilt at less than half Porsche cost) and had to replace the front spoiler lip as EVERY valet would scrap and loosen the spoiler so finally I had to replace it.  I bought a softer polyurethane one off Ebay for $70 and it looks great.  

• 2 months later...

I have the Porsche PCM system and was wondering how current an I upgrade the NAV system? And what audio upgrades, backup camera or such can I do without replacing the whole system?

Two updates..   First. Yes the car is amazing and certainly more than fast enough without any mods.

Secondly,  I've been careful about the front lip but valet drivers don't seem to care so I bought a replacement off eBay. It looks almost identical bjtbuts a softer plastic so more forgiving.  Best deal I've found for a porsche, only $72.  

Edited by Porschelibrarian