Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Looking to buy 2nd hand MKI CluSport

Dr. Carrera

Hi to the happy GT3-owners,

I would need some advise from you guys. I am currently looking out for a 2nd hand GT3 and tested this one yesterday:

Leuze auto

It's a Feb. 2000 ClubSport and has +/-19.000miles/30.000km on the speedo. I checked with Porsche engine checking software and the number of hours of operation result in a credible average speed of 44miles/h/ 70km/h. The car runs fabulously compared to my "ordinary" C2. The engine's power development is an extatic experience, particularly passed the 4000rpm. I really think Porsche underestimates the HP of this car. It feels like A LOT more than 360HP.

- One thing that puzzles me is how the engine runs when cold - no stable idle regime. Is this normal maybe considering the car's more a race-car for the road than the opposite? Is there a difference in factory set tuning in this respect between the "Touring" version and the "Clubsport" version?

- Although the seller tells me it's factory the exhaust currently mounted on the car looks aftermarket to me (rounded stainless-steel, Fabspeed-like muffler) instead of the typical Porsche factory muffler which is larger and has sort of a corrugated surface. Sound's super though.

- Other than the Rollcage, Recaro seats and 5-point harnessess, are there any other particular differences between the Touring and Clubsport versions.

- Brake callipers have turned shaded orange instead of red but I've seen the car a month ago when the seller just had it and they were still red. The seller himself, a keen and competent driver, during 4 or 5 Porsche track-days drove the car and heated up the brakes. I understand I should not worry too much about this. Especially considering he mounted dedicated track front brake discs and sells the car with brand-new OEM discs and pads.

Any experienced advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. ;)

I think nearly all MK1's have a rough idle and so it's quite normal.:huh:

Not sure about th exhaust it may well be that it's an aftermarket one e.g. Cargraphic

Other Clubsport differences include nomex instead of leather seats, electrical cut out switches on tunnel and under bonnet, single mass flywheel and fitted fire extinguisher. Other than that there's no other differences that I am aware of.

Brake calipers going orange is not unusual, but suggests that the car has been used hard on a large number of occasions on track.

Steve:D

The idle on my Mk1 is as rough as a badgers arse. The thing also likes to stall very easily when cold - almost like the engine management can't keep up with the lightweight flywheel and lets the revs drop too much...only for the first couple of minutes though, and noticeably when reversing out the garage so the uneducated neighbours can laugh under their breath.

Exhaust looks stock to me from what I can see from the pictures.

Brakes - should be fine, but you might also want to ask for a fluid change if the current fluid has been boiled on track.

I would enquire as to when the clutch was last replaced - it is an expensive item on the clubsport and will only last around 20K miles, especially if tracked - if it has never been replaced you may want to negotiate a bit off the price.

If you do buy it, take the front section of the cage out for road use, as unless you have a helmet on it can be very dangerous.

The clubsport is also around 0.3s quicker to 60mph due to that expensive flywheel/clutch arrangement, hence why it feels so quick for a simple 60bhp over a C2.

Thanks Steve + Greig,

The clutch felt excellent. But I will enquire when it was last changed.

65.000 EUR feels like a fair price right now but one can expect a drop in value as of next year when the 997 GT3 will arrive, don't you think so? Mk2's may be available then at more interesting prices.

Do you guys use your GT3 as a daily driver as well? How many miles did you put on it already? It would be my intention to use it more often than just for weekends and track-events. The car feels like it being fit for daily use, except for bumpy roads.

:thumbup:

I don't know if the prices will drop much further for the Mk1 - it is now being regarded as somewhat of an icon, and in some markets the prices are starting to rise again.

My GT3 is used on track and road and has done 38,000 miles now - and still drives brilliantly. I don't use it as a daily driver, but similar to you I use it for weekends and track use - it can get a bit bumpy at times, expecially if you are tired it can be annoying, but mostly you won't notice it as you will be having too much fun driving it.

Here is a picture of the back of my car yesterday, you can see some of the exhaust - if yours looks like this then it is the stock item.

post-1608-1117705832_thumb.jpg

Like Greg I use mine mostly for weekends and the track. I do dirve it to and from work but speed humps and nose to tail traffice makes it a bit of a pain in the ars*. However, spot a gap in the traffic and a bit of open road and whey hey the noise and the GForce is intoxicating.

Don't wait any longer, go ahead and buy it- you won't regret it.

Steve

• 1 month later...
Like Greg I use mine mostly for weekends and the track. I do dirve it to and from work but speed humps and nose to tail traffice makes it a bit of a pain in the ars*. However, spot a gap in the traffic and a bit of open road and whey hey the noise and the GForce is intoxicating.

Don't wait any longer, go ahead and buy it- you won't regret it.

Steve

The one shown above has been sold meanwhile. Not to me. <_<

I'm still waiting because I'm considering an MkII as well. They are becoming more affordable right now, especially in neighbouring Germany. Moreover, I'm trying to sell my C2 right now. I'll keep you posted.

Just a thought which won't be popular - I contacted the original owner of my car who then went on to have a Mk2 clubsport and a GT3 RS - he said the Mk1 was a far better car than the Mk2 - couldn't explain it, just something in the feel let down the Mk2, and that the Mk1 clubsport felt very close to his current RS.

• 3 months later...

Dr. Carrera - you will not see the prices on the GT3 Clubsports drop, to the contrary, they are RARE and in demand, so they may increase in price in the near term.

I just imported the first Mark 1 GT3 Clubsport into the USA (track use only) and I can tell you that even with my travelling to Europe frequently and working with a former Supercup team manager to find a good car -- it took 6+ months to find a car for 63.000 Euro's (all others were as much as 70.000 Euro's).

I think you should go for the car if you like the colour and the condition of the car (have your Porsche Centre check it out). The rough idle problem happens with my car also -- only upon first start up. Once its been on the track for one 20 minute session, she purrs like a kitten the rest of the day. I agree with the Scottsman (or whoever said) that its the single mass flywheel creating the idle deviations.

This car drives like a scalded cat when you stab the accelerator -- its almost as much fun as my GT3 Cup that I sold earlier this year!