Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Air Conditioning Slow to Start

When the car is cold it takes 5-10 minutes of driving before the compressor clutch engages, then good cold air.  However once the car is warm up and you stop, then restart the car the A/C comes on immediately.  We've installed a new compressor clutch and there's voltage to the clutch?

Anyone have any suggestions on what is going on...

Thanks,

Mitch

I don't know of anyway to actually test them other than does the ambient air temperature read correctly on cluster?  The HVAC system uses the temperature differential readings between the outside air and cabin air when you use AUTO setting on the HVAC control panel.  The system then cycles on/off the AC compressor as needed for the desired cabin temperature.  The way to get around that is to manually set the fan controls/temp.  The second thing that I have heard/read about is a sticking or faulty pressure switch causing delayed AC.  Part #21 here  http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=996-99-05&section=813-25

One other thought - when you switch on the AC, do both radiator fans come on low or are they delayed as well?  And when the AC does finally start working, are both left/right radiator fans coming on?

There is also an AC compressor relay in Relay Support 2.  Might think about replacing that relay to eliminate a potential problem.

996 Relays.jpg

No kidding...  I am going to change out the Compressor relay and check the radiator fans to be sure they're cycling correctly.  My immediate problem is finding out why my 3rd brake light isn't working.  I failed my safety inspection so I need to get that fixed, PDQ.  See my post on that...  

Thanks again,

• 1 month later...

We changed out the Trinary switch which is located next to the A/C charging ports.  But no joy...  I have the A/C relay that goes under the back seat, but

I have a back seat delete so its more involved to get to the relay.  However all my experiences have been either a relay works or doesn't.  The system works great,

but I might have to live with this until I can figure it out.  The only trouble is here in Texas you don't want to wait 10 minutes for cold air when it's a 100 degrees on a hot August day.