Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
  • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Graeme Tate
      I hate my pig but I love my pig, can anyone please help me before I send it for scrap. Over the space of the last 4 years of ownership my car has been in the Porsche dealers for 2 years in total with suspension problems, to cut a long story short this is now sorted and was due to a faulty replacement air bag being fitted. Moving on after 3 months of (almost) trouble free motoring this is what’s happening now and would love some advice as the closest porsche dealers is over 200 miles away from me.

When I picked up the car from Porsche  it ran out of petrol before I got to the garage at the end of the road and although I filled it up it  the engine warning light remained on I assumed this was just fuel related and drove home with it on and reset it when I got home.
      Wind on a few weeks and the engine light came back on and gave me a camshaft position sensor error p0016 so I sent the car to my local Porsche mechanic who changed out the sensor and did a full service on the car including plugs filter oil etc etc. All this time the car has been running fine but as I wanted the sensor light out it was changed. However after changing it out the light came back on almost straight away. The car has been a bit sluggish to start sometimes and sometimes on pulling away from a stop has also been hesitant. 
      This was about 3-4 weeks ago and now it is worse again, at tickover it’s noisy, it doesn’t like acceleration and is running really rough although if you are going over 50mph it doesn’t have a problem and seems to run fine. The EML is now flashing rather than being a solid light. I attach a video of it running.
      Any thoughts would be a help before I decide to get it hauled back across again 

Sent from my iPhone
    • By Danny Hammoud
      Unfortunately, I am back with another problem or problems........
      A couple of days ago a check engine light popped up on my 997.2s and because it is my daily driver, I was not able to immediately diagnose the issue. I went ahead and ordered a "Carsoft POR II" scanner off amazon as i thought it would help my understanding in what the problem was. (Getting to the point.....)   Today while I was driving home from class, the car was running very rough. I decided to pull over and give the scanner a go...
      DME CODES;
      P0660 INTAKE PIPE SWITCHOVER FINAL STAGE
      P0153 02 SENSOR AHEAD OF CAT BANK 2 DYNAMISM 
      P2099 A/F  RATIO CORRECT. BEH. CAT. BANK 2 ABOVE RICH CONTROL UNIT
      P2198 02 SENSOR AHEAD OF CAT. BANK 2 TOO RICH SIGNAL
      P0174 BANK 2 TOO LEAN
      P0171 SYSTEM TOO LEAN
      P2196 02 SENSOR SIGNAL BIASED/ STUCK BANK 1 SENSOR 1

Being the person I am, I went ahead and cleared the codes dreaming my problems would magically go away. ?
      About 10 minutes into my commute the codes again popped up but this time, there was something a bit different.......

THE NEW CODES INCLUDED;
      P0174 SYSTEM TOO LEAN BANK 2
      P0171 SYSTEM TOO LEAN BANK 1
      P0306 MISFIRE CYLINDER 6
      P0305 MISFIRE CYLINDER 5 
      P0304 MISFIRE CYLINDER 4
      P0300 MISFIRE - TOTAL ERROR
      P0660 INTAKE PIPE SWITCHOVER FINAL STAGE

About 2 months ago I installed a new O2 sensor bank 1 sensor. While at it, I had a new AOS installed as well ( OEM parts). There are some theories I have in mind but as for now, I am truly stumped on this issue. Does anyone have any experience with this madness?! Thanks for reading! ?

This morning I started my car again and a puff of white smoke shot out of the tail pipes. The smoke did clear up really quick. 

MORE NEW CODES;
      P2A04 O2 SENSOR CIRCUT RANGE/ PERFORMANCE BANK 2 SENSOR 2
      P2099 POST CATALYST FUEL TRIM SYSTEM TOO RICH BANK 2
      P0153 O2 SENSOR CIRCUIT SLOW RESPONSE BANK 2 SENSOR 1
      P2198 O2 SENSOR SIGNAL BIASED/ STUCK RICH BANK 2 SENSOR 1
      P0171 SYSTEM TOO LEAN BANK 1

• By hugo kohl
      1999, 996,  117k miles

Due to leaking I recently changed my coolant reservoir tank, which involved disconnecting and re connecting 2 fuel lines..  Upon restarting the car I had a rough idle and CEL.  I purchased a $100b code reader, read a bunch of stuff online and decided to clean the MAF sensor, change the air filter, spark plugs, plug tubes and coils.    

upon today's startup I get an erratic/rough/low rpm idle, flashing CEL and the following codes:

P0102  mass air flow circuit low
      P1319 misfire emission related
      P1318  misfire cylinder 6 emission related
      P1315 misfire cylinder 3 emission related
      P1313 misfire cylinder 1 emission related

Somehow I went from a leaky tank to some bad stuff based on a do-it-myself moment.
      I wonder if the coil packs might not be perfectly seated?
      I'm thinking a new mass air flow sensor and all four O2 sensors need replacing??  
      Please advise.

Hugo Kohl
    • By rennbod
      Sometimes when programming the DME or Alarm control unit with the PST2 or PIWIS, you will get an error of "Test Step Aborted" followed by an error number, such as 3, 21, 25, 71 etc.

I have the PST2 manuals, as well as the KTS manuals and the 986 and 996 Dealer manuals, but one thing I have not been able to find in any of them is a list of error codes that follow the "test step is aborted message"

Sometimes, I have had the errors when I have put in an incorrect "old immobiiser code", or "old learning code", which kind of make sense.. But I often get the error when programming a control unit (yes I do have 14v onto the control unit and pin 60 powered up on the DME when it is a 5.2.2 DME)

Has anyone ever found a list of the error codes and what they mean, or even worked out what they mean?

When programming a DME 5.2.2 for example, I can often get to about 90 percent on the progress screen before it bombs out with one of these codes.

The unit will still start the car etc if it bombs out, so I don't think it is a bricked DME, but I am just curious about the meaning of the error codes

Anyone have any clues? or is my curiosity sending me towards a massive mission of discovery in an unwalked path? lol
    • By Los996
      Hello all,
      This is a continuing repair to what started as a camshaft deviation out of spec leading to the replacement of the chain tensioner pads / brake pads / chain ramps on my 2000 911 - 996 5-Chain engine. Seen here:
      That odyssey has since been resolved but I now have a new issue.

Quick background:
      Removed camshafts, readjusted the camshaft chain timing "marker" positions, replaced tensioner pads, reassembled everything per factory specs.
      On first start up got very rough idle and bad misfires. At first I thought it may have been my timing was off but went back and visually inspected all and all looked correct (visually). Upon further inspection realized parts guy had given me Bosch 7403 plugs instead of Bosch 7413 (2000 Porsche 911).

Current issue:
      Switched out and installed the correct spark plugs and no more continuous misfires / backfires. Did the initial reset (wait 1 min with ignition on / turn ignition off / wait 10 sec) On the first start up it did misfired / back fired once but I assumed that was left over fuel.

Car now runs but very rough and threw 2 codes:
      - P0300 : Porsche Fault code 62 - Misfire damaging cat. converter
      - P0301 : Porsche fault code Cylinder 1 misfire damaging to cat. converter
      Also, took these readings:
      Actual angle for camshaft bank 1: -12.53
      Actual angle for camshaft bank 2: 3.05

On positive note the main reason for doing all this work was the original problem / issue of tensioner / brake pad wear which was giving me a -10 / -2.92 reading is now:
      Camshaft position 1 deviation: 0.00
      Camshaft position 2 deviation: 0.00

So the question is now are the Actual angle for camshaft readings within specs and could incorrect timing be attributed to these new issues?

And... Do I have to give the DME time to "relearn"?

Txs all

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.