Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

The Forever CEL

I sent in the DME and it was determined to need a rebuild. Waiting to get it back. I heard that if a solenoid is bad it will cause components in the DME to fail. I replaced the solenoid already hopefully this will solve the issue. v

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put rebuilt DME back in and drove for an hour or so. No CEL yet, however I have some pending codes. Didn't record them,had to do with fuel trims. I did monitor STFT and they were bouncing around a bit at idle but more or less pretty the same between 2 banks under load. Hoping the pending codes will never throw a CEL and I'm good. Are the pending codes just until the DME learns the trims...so to speak. Thanks v

Edited by vza

Since the DME has been rebuilt, I assume everything has been reset. The relearning should not cause any pending code. My guess is your variocam issue is fixed and these new pending codes are new issues such as air leak or MAF, etc. Need the actual codes to investigate further.

I would say just reset the DME with Durametric, drive the car for a week and rescan with Durametric for any pending or active codes. The reason I think the variicam issue is fixed is because the fault would have been detected quickly. Is that your experience as well from before?

Yes, It always flagged me with the P1539 before the fix. Now different codes relating to rich mix and primary coil?? I don't have a durametric only using the generic OBDII reader. Should I reset it or wait and see if it throws a CEL. These were pending codes only....no CEL as of yet! Thanks V

Not disagreeing, but wouldn't it have been reset when it was rebuilt. I reinstalled it with the bat. disconnected. I'm only saying this cause the OBDII is still saying some systems still aren't ready so I want to drive it enough so I can get it to inspection. The inspection station said I have to drive 400 miles in order for the systems to ready themselves....(dosen't seem accurate to me) so I don't want to have to start at square 1 by a reset.(I'm gona get caught sooner or later with a failed sticker) The pending faults came up about half hr into the drive when checking randomly.

For a MkII 996, it usually takes me one to two days to get those flags all ready.

Not sure about a MkI but you can check individual flags and see which one(s) are set. Usually the misifre, O2 sensors should set first followed by SAI and evap, then the cat efficiency.

One tip is keep the rev below 3k and drive on steady speed on a freeway for 10 to 15min. Then stop the car and let it idle for 5min or so (to set the evap). Then just drive normally around down for a few days and check the readiness again.

OK...All systems were set during my drive with the exception of secondary air and evap.. BUT...I threw a CEL cleared it got another.

P1313

P1314

P1314

P1319

I guess all misfires bank 1. Emission relevant. Not too sure what to do now. Already replaced MAF/AOS/Plugs/Solenoid Bank 2/Actuator ramps Bank 1 and 2/Fuel Filter/Batt.

The money evaporator is working at it's highest capacity....:wacko:

Beru. Check out warehouse33auto.com and there is also a rennlist discount code if you search around.

Are your current plugs OE and of the right spec? Is the gas fresh?

Yes, you could try to swap them between banks first.

I did have them out in the past and checked them, they were the updated ones w larger heat sinks, didn't see any cracks and checked ohms seemed good. Drove again today ….why does the codes change now I have 301 302 303 instead of 1313 1314 1315 I never cleared anything...thanks v

Yeah, actually I always thought a generic OBDII scanner can only report P030x and not P131x.

Since the misfire is bank 1 only and your coils sound fine, timing will be a strong suspect. Did you have this problem before, especially after the bank 1 variocam and cam pads work?

When doing the work I initially had the timing slip on bank 1 had a nasty tapping sound. Unfortunately I listened to some people that said it was deflated tappets so I let it idle and revved it. Any way I re-did the timing and checked compression on that side and got 195's so I'm hopeful its not valves. After replacing the solenoid I repeatedly got misfires everywhere ...both sides ,bank 1 then bank 2 and a remaining p1539. After the DME fix its down to 3 cyl.misfires on bank1 as it stands now.