Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

A/C condenser and filter change

Hi,

Due to a leak I have to exchange the A/C condensers of my 996 4S (2004). However, my question is A/C and not car specific.

After draining the system in the shop, I have removed the condensers some days ago and my new ones will arrive probably today. Sure, I will replace the filter as well.

My concern is: Since the system was open for a while, ambient (humid) air came into the system. What is the preferred procedure for the filter then? Do I better exchange the filter immediately after 

I closed the A/C circuit (installed the new condensers) or better only short prior to refill the system (which could be after the weekend only). Or should I even only close the system short before refilling?

Any experience or suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Edited by thormann

• Moderators
6 hours ago, thormann said:

Hi,

Due to a leak I have to exchange the A/C condensers of my 996 4S (2004). However, my question is A/C and not car specific.

After draining the system in the shop, I have removed the condensers some days ago and my new ones will arrive probably today. Sure, I will replace the filter as well.

My concern is: Since the system was open for a while, ambient (humid) air came into the system. What is the preferred procedure for the filter then? Do I better exchange the filter immediately after 

I closed the A/C circuit (installed the new condensers) or better only short prior to refill the system (which could be after the weekend only). Or should I even only close the system short before refilling?

Any experience or suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks!!

I believe you are referring to the dryer assembly as a filter.  I would suggest the best path forward would be to change out the dryer for a new one, close up the system, and pull a very high vacuum on the system for 30 min. to 1 hour to get rid of any moisture.  Check the system can hold the high level of vacuum without the pump running for 15-30 min.; if it does hold, start the recharging procedures.

Thanks for your reply, JFP!

You are right, my question refers to the dryer.

Prior to refilling the shop will vacuum and test the system on Monday. 

Is it advisable to change the filter and close the system right now or shall I better wait until Monday.

Thanks again!

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, thormann said:

Thanks for your reply, JFP!

You are right, my question refers to the dryer.

Prior to refilling the shop will vacuum and test the system on Monday. 

Is it advisable to change the filter and close the system right now or shall I better wait until Monday.

Thanks again!

You should install the new dryer just before putting the system under vacuum.