Jump to content
×
×

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
Mihai Popa

Need help with service manual on rebuilding my engine

Recommended Posts

Hello Gents, 

I recently purchased a Porsche Boxster S 2004 special edition ( gorgeous car with only 24k miles). Purchased it as a fixer upper, initial the owner said it needs a rear main seal, leaked oil and stopped then they took it to the dealership but eventually the owner decided to sell it. Long story short the IMS bearing was destroyed  and now i am looking to rebuild the engine. Mainly just to replace the IMS, ( no other damage to the engine as far i can tell)  but i have a hard time finding any documentation or steps on disassemble/assembling the engine.The Porsche service manual by Bentley does not include this info, i did found some info but this is for a 2001 Porsche S and my understand is that they might are slightly different. 

Thank you in advanced for your time and consideration.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
    You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

9 hours ago, Mihai Popa said:

Hello Gents, 

I recently purchased a Porsche Boxster S 2004 special edition ( gorgeous car with only 24k miles). Purchased it as a fixer upper, initial the owner said it needs a rear main seal, leaked oil and stopped then they took it to the dealership but eventually the owner decided to sell it. Long story short the IMS bearing was destroyed  and now i am looking to rebuild the engine. Mainly just to replace the IMS, ( no other damage to the engine as far i can tell)  but i have a hard time finding any documentation or steps on disassemble/assembling the engine.The Porsche service manual by Bentley does not include this info, i did found some info but this is for a 2001 Porsche S and my understand is that they might are slightly different. 

Thank you in advanced for your time and consideration.  

 

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

As Porsche never expected, or wanted, field techs to rebuild these engines, they have never published anything on the process, such as proper bearing clearances or even torque specs.  There are sources such as Flat Six (Jake Raby) that run classes on proper engine rebuilding techniques, and have published some information on the topic.

 

If you have suffered an IMS failure, one rebuild item that is critical is to get the engine cases and heads ultra sonically cleaned, as IMS failures result in vast amounts of very small metal particles being all through the engine passages, and proper cleaning and removal is critical as just one particle can trash a fresh rebuild.

 

Good luck...…..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much JFP, and yea i will need as much luck as possible 🙂, never really worked on a Porsche before. I found these videos and i see he is using a book for torque specs and other details but i couldn't get a hold of him, the videos are pretty old. Good stuff but not a whole lot of details.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mihai Popa said:

Thank you very much JFP, and yea i will need as much luck as possible 🙂, never really worked on a Porsche before. I found these videos and i see he is using a book for torque specs and other details but i couldn't get a hold of him, the videos are pretty old. Good stuff but not a whole lot of details.

 

 

Jake's books are available from LN Engineering: Flat Six Tech books

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mihai Popa said:

No seeing the one for a 986. 

Thanks for sharing the link.

 

The engines in the 996 is exactly the same as those in the 986...…………...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notes, Cheers. 

any knowledge of ppl from this community swapping the 3.2 engines with 3.4 from the 996?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mihai Popa said:

Notes, Cheers. 

any knowledge of ppl from this community swapping the 3.2 engines with 3.4 from the 996?

 

It can be done, but you need to proceed with caution as to which years. Reason is that each subsequent year the technology in the cars ( DME version, fuel system, use of CAN Bus technology, etc.) changed, and updating an older car to use the newer tech can be both a bear to accomplish, and result in a "Frankenstein" car with limited resale or trade value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it, i think i will stick with the rebuild since this is a limited edition and i want to keep it as close to factory as possible. do you recommend any shops that do engine rebuilds  at a resolvable price/time ( i called LN and they want 16k for the rebuild and the lead time is 3-4 months) ?

Cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mihai Popa said:

Got it, i think i will stick with the rebuild since this is a limited edition and i want to keep it as close to factory as possible. do you recommend any shops that do engine rebuilds  at a resolvable price/time ( i called LN and they want 16k for the rebuild and the lead time is 3-4 months) ?

Cheers 

 

Hate to tell you, but LN and Jake Raby are the only shops to consider, they simply are the best, and $16K is not that bad a price for one of theirs, particularly as factory remans which are no longer available were going nearly $20K for a short block.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, i agree, i have heard only great things about them and the price would be okish but the 3-4 months wait i think its way too much. I have rebuild couple wrx sti engines and they didn't seemed that complicated( but there was a whole lot more information on them than this porsche)this is why i'm thinking at a diy

Anyways thank you for the info, very much appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Mihai Popa said:

yes, i agree, i have heard only great things about them and the price would be okish but the 3-4 months wait i think its way too much. I have rebuild couple wrx sti engines and they didn't seemed that complicated( but there was a whole lot more information on them than this porsche)this is why i'm thinking at a diy

Anyways thank you for the info, very much appreciated!

 

There is absolutely no comparison between the WRX engines and one of these, have you ever investigated the specialized tooling required (all must haves), and little wonders like installing the piston wrist pin snap rings in one of these engines?  Building a ship in a bottle is child's play by comparison.  A lot of people have started one of these rebuilds, only to never finish them or farm the process out to a shop that has done them.  Be sure you really know what you are getting into before even thinking about tearing one of these engines apart.

 

wristpininsertionJakeRaby_zps5256f0ed.jp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that was actually the first thing i researched, specials tools, and i think i pinned most of them( they are not cheap that is for sure). So i can get the tools, i have some basic knowledge but i'm really missing  the confidence and that mainly because i don't have very good documentations and instructions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.