Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2002 996 Problem taking fuel

Hi There;

I am having trouble getting fuel into my 996. I have tried moving the filler pump to the top down & all around.

But still will not accept fuel.

I have checked all the fuses and none are blown.

I am presently in California, where most of the filler pumps are the new style, I have heard that older pumps work fine.

Hoping to not have to take my 996 to the Dealer in California, as I am from Canada.

Any Tips would be appreciated.

Sechelt

This generation is VERY sensitive to the flow level/pressure of different pumps. I've had situations with my 4S where I simply gave up at one filling station, drove to another and things worked fine. In general, this is the most difficult car to put gas in I've every had. So, join the club. As annoying as it is, try filling slowly; moderating the pump trigger tends to get things done. Hope this helps.

Thanks DRA, I have found out and you confirm fueling up can be difficult. Strange that pumps where I am now in California have worked before, but do not work now.

I wonder if the tank has to be below 1/4 full to accept fuel? I just tried 4 different gas stations with the same result.

I will have to try some more stations.

Any other comments would be welcomed.

Sechelt

From what I remember on this issue is that the fuel filler neck has a magnetic reed valve very close to the top of the fuel filler neck and it has either fallen out of the plastic holder or it is faulty.  You have to remove the passenger side wheel liner to access the reed valve.   I'll try to find a picture of it.

It could be vent valve unit. There was a guy on the forum recently that couldn't get any gas to pump into the car because the pump kept tripping off. He replaced the entire vent valve unit and problem solved. My car doesn't like one station and so when I pump there I have to use the lowest flow rate. No problem for me. I have the same problem with my Tahoe. 

Thanks for your input..DBJoe996 & b3freak...there is no way I am able to get fuel into the car, tried 6 different pumps and every possible angle....

I am making an appointment with Porsche to have the fuel line vent valve replaced....now also the Check Engine Light is on...

It does not look like the gas cap is damaged.....Sechelt