Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2005 Boxster 987 spoiler and roof inoperative

Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

I bought a project 2005 987 Boxster S Tiptronic that had been parked up for 6 months and a reasonable amount of rain water got into the passenger compartment. The rear control module under the drivers seat was corroded and toast, so I replaced it. I also installed a new battery as the previous battery did not hold a good charge.

I now have functional rear lights, but the spoiler is stuck in a slightly raised position and the roof does not operate at all. If the battery is connected and the car is shut off with no key in it, there is a double clunking noise from the trunk area every 30 seconds or so. The parking brake light comes on when I apply the brake. The soft top roof switch does not do anything. The manual spoiler switch does not do anything. When I try to operate the same units from the Durametric 'activations' page, I get nothing.

(Also, the fuel gauge shows totally empty and Durametric reports an issue with Fuel Level Sender, so I have ordered a used one off ebay.)

I scanned for codes using Durametric and got the following 8004 error, which I have googled extensively with no good solution found:

Rear Body Module

Current Fault Codes  
8004: Terminal 30 voltage supply motors

Right Door Module
Current Fault Codes 

C121: Communication rear control unit (comfort)
8701: Door lock module
8705: Door lock signal implausible

Instrument cluster - 9x7
Current Fault Codes  
9112: Fuel level sender

Porsche Stability Management - PSM
Current Fault Codes  
4444: Steering-angle sensor not initialized

Updates after some investigation: Fuse A3 was blown, now the rear spoiler extends and retracts correctly and Terminal 30 voltage supply motors error code is gone.

However, still some issues:

When pressing the roof close button, I get a click from the relay, but nothing else. The roof open button does nothing, no relay clicks. I switched around all the similar relays in the holder but the fault did not move.

Whilst I was under the dashboard switching relays around, the convertible deck cover did open then close again, but I could not replicate that again, I do not know which relay I pulled that caused that to happen. (A relay diagram would be very useful.)

I am still getting the 2 clunk clunk noises in the trunk area about every 30 secs.

Thanks Loren. Further updates for the benefit of others with this issue:

I discovered that the convertible roof relays above the drivers footwell fuse box were clicking, but not actually working. The relays did not switch any current when I applied voltage to them. I replaced both and now have an operational roof motor and lifting decklid cover. I guess it has not moved in many years as the first thing that happened when the roof started moving was the 2 plastic ball joints broke immediately. I have ordered $30 OEM replacements from ebay.

I also found 2 loose triangular plastic trim covers trapped in the roof mechanism, one on each side.

The double clunking noise has stopped, so I can now leave the battery connected all the time.

So now, after all those fixes, the roof went up and down correctly 2 or 3 times, then I get an error on the dashboard about 'Convertible Top Module Error' and the switch no longer works, neither does the Activation command from Durametric.

Where would I locate the Convertible Top Module?

Also Fuse D2 (15A) goes to ground. It says it is the blower motor for engine compartment (997) in the fuse diagram. Any suggestions on whether this fuse should be 12V, and what it actually powers on a 2005 Boxster S 987.1?

Edited by SpawnyWhippet

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i'm having same issues with my 2006. Top will not work, no sounds, no errors on dash display. I called the previous owners service center (independent) and they mentioned it came in for top problem and they got it working with fuse replacement. I don't have the owners manual so i don't know where to look. Few days ago the rear spoiler stopped working and i cant get the trunk open! wtf.  Related?