Jump to content

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
mjposner

Purchasing 911, car had engine rebuild in 2015, no mention of ims bearing

Recommended Posts

Looking at 2003 911 with 100k miles.  Had 17k in service in 2015, see attached.  No mention of ims bearing.  Thoughts?

all repairs.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be that the 2003 engine has the large IMS bearing, in which case the engine must be disassembled, engine cases split, in order to replace the bearing.  The good thing, if that is the case, very few large IMS bearings have ever failed, and if it has it mostly due to neglect (no oil changes, not changing the oil every 5K miles, and so on).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DBJoe996 said:

It could be that the 2003 engine has the large IMS bearing, in which case the engine must be disassembled, engine cases split, in order to replace the bearing.  The good thing, if that is the case, very few large IMS bearings have ever failed, and if it has it mostly due to neglect (no oil changes, not changing the oil every 5K miles, and so on).

 

If the engine was a 2003 (you can tell from the numbers on sump rail), it would have the small, serviceable single row IMS bearing from the factory.

If the paperwork does not mention the IMS, it was not done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was working from memory and it turns out I am dead wrong.  It is confusing with the changeover designs.

From 1997 to 1999, Porsche use a dual row intermediate shaft bearing which has proven to be as robust as the larger single row used from 2006 through 2008 model years. The IMS Class Action Lawsuit filed against Porsche revealed the factory Dual Row was much stronger than the Single Row used from 2000-2005.

IMSRETROFIT.COM

Visit the post for more.

 A 2003 would have the smaller single row bearing.  Just get it replaced with the Solution and you are done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 8:44 AM, JFP in PA said:

 

If the engine was a 2003 (you can tell from the numbers on sump rail), it would have the small, serviceable single rowIMS bearing from the factory.

If the paperwork does not mention the IMS, it was not done.

 

On 5/14/2019 at 10:26 AM, DBJoe996 said:

I was working from memory and it turns out I am dead wrong.  It is confusing with the changeover designs.

From 1997 to 1999, Porsche use a dual row intermediate shaft bearing which has proven to be as robust as the larger single row used from 2006 through 2008 model years. The IMS Class Action Lawsuit filed against Porsche revealed the factory Dual Row was much stronger than the Single Row used from 2000-2005.

IMSRETROFIT.COM

Visit the post for more.

 A 2003 would have the smaller single row bearing.  Just get it replaced with the Solution and you are done.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.