Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I am planning on ordering a Carrera S, or maybe a carrera 4. I just wanted to hear from some of you who own these cars what you think. I have never owned a Porsche, only BMWs. I am very young, so i have not been at a stage where i could buy a Porsche 911. I love Porsche and am at a point where I am able to buy a carlike this.

Thank you for your time and comments.

I have a 997S, which was delivered to me new on October 28, 2004. It is the best 911 I have owned - a 1972 911T Targa, a 1995 993 Carrera, a 1995 993 Carrera 4 and a 2000 996 Carrera 4.

The 911 (997S) is well made, has incredible handling, plenty of power, unless you feel the need for that in a turbo at 1/3 more cost.

If you can afford a 911, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 25 and was a die hard BMW fan.

My Carrera S was delivered April 7th 2005... Up to that point all I had were BMWs too... A '97 328i, a '99 328i, and my last was a '02 M3...

Initially I was worried that I would find it too similar in performance to my M3 (19" package with H&R sport springs) but my worries disappeared as fast as my M would have in my S's rear view mirror!

I LOVE this car! The power, handling, and sheer fun factor outweigh the impracticalities hands down.

I know you won't be disappointed.

post-4793-1118328740_thumb.jpg

Well congratulations on your 911. It is awesome to be able to have such beautiful cars at such a young age. I am turning 22, and as long as thing continue going well, I am planning on having a Carrera in my yard by next Spring.

I was considering a new M3, however that was when I did not think a 911 was possible.

The biggest problem I have is I will only be able to drive it from mid May to early September due to snow. My family all has trucks and SUVs along with my girlfriend so im not too worried about that. I have had to do it with other cars.

Thanks for the replies.

Enjoy your cars

Citation, sounds like you are in a similar position to me 12 months ago.

I'm in my 20s and whilst having the brakes on my Z3 2.8 changed, I took a M3 out for a test. Really liked it and very nearly bought it, but did not feel I was ready for a proper 4 seater saloon.

Took delivery of my 997C2S this January and absolutely love it. I don't get to drive much, so it has taken me 6 months to get past the break in period, but even driving it conservatively is very enjoyable.

As Benny says, the power and handling are great. But for me, I was taken by the nimbleness of it, bearing in mind it is not a physically small car.

Moving from a 2 seater with no lugage space to the 911, I actually find this car more practical as well.

As many others say - Porsche... if you can, you must.

Ronnie,

Congratulations on your car. I can not wait until i can have one in my driveway. The pure enjoyment of owning one will get me over the fact that it has to sit in my garage for up to 8 months a year.

Thanks for your reply,

If you have a picture of your 997 please post it.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

It's been just over two weeks since I picked my 997 S cabriolet, and I can't say enough about it. I previously owned a '99 996 cab and an '02 996 cab and this car far and away a better automobile on all counts. I'd highly recommend getting the Sport Chrono package; it's like having two cars at the push of a button

post-4593-1119491698_thumb.jpg

Edited by jackhassid

It's been just over two weeks since I picked my 997 S cabriolet, and I can't say enough about it.  I previously owned a '99 996 cab and an '02 996 cab and this car far and away a better automobile on all counts.  I'd highly recommend getting the Sport Chrono package; it's like having two cars at the push of a button

We have a 997 Cab S on order, still can change. Tell me about the Sport Chrono, if you would. We don't have this option at the moment.

Thanks

Edited by naury

I have the Sport Chrono in my S as well...

As the Porsche site says "Analog and digital chronometer, sport button in the center console and display in the PCM , also adds ability to adjust lighting, wipers, AC and door locking to suit personal preference."

The most noticeable thing that it changes when the button is pressed is throttle response. It is like driving too different cars. The right pedal becomes soo much more sensitive.

I'm very happy with it.

post-4793-1119535513_thumb.jpg