Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My Cayenne S 2008 won't start. I turn the ignition key and all I see is the Porsche (red) logo turn on and the mileage counter light turn on. Steering is locked, the head unit works and I can hear audio. Normally I would hear a click and then all the indicator lights would on and I would hear the soft beeps but now I don't hear anything. There is no steering / ignition faulty codes showing up on the dashboard. 

Has anyone experienced this? Appreciate the help.

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

My Cayenne S 2008 won't start. I turn the ignition key and all I see is the Porsche (red) logo turn on and the mileage counter light turn on. Steering is locked, the head unit works and I can hear audio. Normally I would hear a click and then all the indicator lights would on at ignition 2 position and I would hear the soft beeps but now I don't hear anything. There is no steering / ignition faulty codes showing up on the dashboard. 

Has anyone experienced this? Appreciate the help.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, PhoneyStark said:

Please do not repost in attempt to "bump" your post, it is against forum rules.

Please do not repost in attempt to "bump" your post, it is against forum rules.
My apologies, I was correcting the post via tapaltalk did not realize it re-posted.

Okay , I have an update. Looked for all possible faults and finally after we shorted fuse 26 we got the ignition to come on. The fault showed brake prop valve. 

Got under the seat , disconnected the battery and then re connected and i turned the ignition on.  Steering lock released and the car started. Next I'm gonna investigate the harness under the driver deal pedal. Clear out whatever issue and see if this would happen to me again.

Will keep you posted. 

Here is a link to what I plan to do:

RENNLIST.COM

Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 - How To: Ignition Lock, Brake Proportioning, ABS light, PSM, Traction, Brake Flashing - Are you getting all...

Update: Had checked the wiring harness and everything seemed fine, so I let it run for a while to see if the problem came back. Sure enough it happened again. Only thing i could think of was relay 433 , swapped both out to be sure. Will update if it happens again.

Also the parking sensors were going wild whenever i stopped at the red light. Noticed my license plate holder had a crack , replaced with a new one.. it's gone!

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

On 5/31/2019 at 3:44 AM, PhoneyStark said:

Okay , I have an update. Looked for all possible faults and finally after we shorted fuse 26 we got the ignition to come on. The fault showed brake prop valve. 

Got under the seat , disconnected the battery and then re connected and i turned the ignition on.  Steering lock released and the car started. Next I'm gonna investigate the harness under the driver deal pedal. Clear out whatever issue and see if this would happen to me again.

Will keep you posted. 

Here is a link to what I plan to do:

RENNLIST.COM

Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 - How To: Ignition Lock, Brake Proportioning, ABS light, PSM, Traction, Brake Flashing - Are you getting all...

What is fuse 26 having same issue but in my 2005 Cayenne S and I will try to switch out relays 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Liam Strauss
      Me and my dad have recently bought a 2001 Porsche Boxster that has not been run in 2 years, as a "fairly easy" project to start with. So where to begin we did all the basics for a car that hasn't run in 2 years, we replaced the spark plugs and tubes, so then when we tried to throw some gas in it wont let us, we have checked the E6 fuse as was suggested on other forums, we slowly threw in some gas at a time, about 5 gallons in total. When we tried to start it it didn't, so when we tried to troubleshoot we found that it has no spark. So does anyone have any idea or suggestions on how to fix any or all of these things?
    • By Pkcayenne
      Hi all I’ve been fighting with the cayenne again 
      let’s me put the key in and turn it then I get steering fault as attached any ideas of a way around this or a reset thanks car won’t start 

• By Humungus1138
      My 2004 Cayenne started missing. This happened pretty much after I put some fuel in it that may have been bad. I tried using fuel treatment, gas dry, etc but it still kept missing. Finally the CEL went on, code reader pulls cylinder misfire on 2,3 and 5

since the car has 107k on it and has never had coils or plugs I figured it was time since I know that is a common cause if misfire.

when I did the job I discovered that the coils were covered in a oily slime as well as the spark plugs. Only two cylinders were basically clean. The plug threads were covered in this crap too

please pics. I'm assuming this is not normal but is it simply from having bad/cracked coils or is more going on? 

Spark plug gaskets come to mind.

im a decent amateur work on many of my vehicles, so any leads would be appreciated

regards

roger

• By dbmies
      I have a 2000 996 with 107k miles
      I had the AOS replaced about 20k miles ago.  I replaced my crank position sensor about 5k miles ago to prevent hot start issues.
      For the third time in about 3 months (I don't drive every day)  my 996 wouldn't fire after filling up with fuel. I had been having issues with gas station pump nozzles shutting off prematurely - in California where we have the vapor recovery nozzles that aren't good for topping off the fuel.  But the only way I could get my tank close to full was to fill it very slowly.
      The first time I had the starting trouble after fueling, the car started up normally, but as soon as I pulled out onto the street and stopped at a traffic light the engine died - as if the fuel pump had stopped. When I tried to restart, the engine cranked but with no signs of fire.  I pushed it back into the gas station and after 15 minutes with tow truck on the way I tried one more time - with the pedal floored - and it started after about 5 seconds of cranking.  
      The second time about a month later, I was far from home and it wouldn't start at all after refueling (again after topping off).  I found something on the internet that said you can over-fill the tank and get fuel in/near the charcoal canister - causing some sort of safety shut-off to protect the canister from damage.  So I tried to siphon some gas out but my siphon tube went in the filler pipe at least 36 inches without getting wet I figured over-filling was the issue. Eventually I got frustrated, cranked with wide open throttle and after about 5 seconds it started.
      I replaced the fuel line vent valve to fix the premature nozzle shut-off hoping it would fix both issues.  After doing so I drove to the station and filled up with fuel - no premature shut-off of the nozzle this time.  But again the car wouldn't start.  Without hesitation this time I cranked with wide open throttle and it started after about 5 seconds.
      I found this link on the internet among others saying the cool fuel can prevent a worn piston from building pressure - http://www.fixya.com/cars/t3860084-after_fuel_fill_cap_removal_2003_996
      Think my next trial will be to replace the fuel pump unless anyone has a better idea?  Should I test the pump pressure first before replacing?
      It isn't throwing any fault codes - I'm getting some occasional idle surge with the engine is hot - just started recently.
      Last I checked (after the first incident) nothing jumped out at me on the Durametric.
      All advice and DIY links appreciated. Thx
    • By TJrob2000
      2006 CS Ti.  Approx 130,000 miles

Recently the CEL came on.  My OBDII reader showed misfire for all cylinders (this was on a cold start, so not warmed up yet).  Previously it had shown misfire in the ready list so I figured this has been intermittent for a while although the car has been driving fine.  No issues with power, hesitation, fuel mileage, etc.  So, I went ahead and ordered the coils and plugs and changed them today.  Every coil looks perfect.  No signs of cracking anywhere.  The plugs also looked absolutely fine.  What I'm figuring (hoping?) at this point is the coils themselves are failing.  See the link for pics.  The service history I have shows these were changed at 102,000 miles with the 002 part.  The coils I installed are 012.  Not sure this is going to make any difference but time will tell.

See coils and plugs here.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.