Jump to content

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
mjposner

IMS Bearing Questions on new to me 2004

Recommended Posts

Just purchased a 2004 Carrera C2 with 50k miles.  PPI was clean, and seller says he had IMS Bearing done in 2013 (when he bought).  I confirmed with his mechanic (now retired), but no paperwork.  So its been 6 years and 13k miles since 2013.  Had oil change at PPI and filter was spotless, no metal bits at all.  My mechanic says he would do nothing until clutch replacement.  

 

Feedback appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mjposner said:

Just purchased a 2004 Carrera C2 with 50k miles.  PPI was clean, and seller says he had IMS Bearing done in 2013 (when he bought).  I confirmed with his mechanic (now retired), but no paperwork.  So its been 6 years and 13k miles since 2013.  Had oil change at PPI and filter was spotless, no metal bits at all.  My mechanic says he would do nothing until clutch replacement.  

 

Feedback appreciated.

 

What is your concern?  If the IMS was replaced with a quality retrofit like the LN system, you have miles to go before anything needs to be done.  Go drive it like you stole it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I purchased a 2002 with 60k and no IMS fix. I'm currently at 120k still with no IMS fix and will never get one. I'll take my chances. If you have money to waste, go for it. Won't hurt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the LNN is overpriced and have heard from more than a few Porsche shops that LNN doesn't stand by their product after the 1 year warranty is up.  I haven't heard of any failures yet from the EPS IMS upgrade/replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Porschelibrarian said:

I think the LNN is overpriced and have heard from more than a few Porsche shops that LNN doesn't stand by their product after the 1 year warranty is up.  I haven't heard of any failures yet from the EPS IMS upgrade/replacement.

 

I’m not surprised that anyone would not honor any warranty after it has expired; that is why it has a date on it.

 

Also not surprised about your comment on the EPS bearing, falls into the rules of small numbers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

 

I’m not surprised that anyone would not honor any warranty after it has expired; that is why it has a date on it.

 

Also not surprised about your comment on the EPS bearing, falls into the rules of small numbers.

Do you actually know the numbers involved?  I"m surprised you think you have any idea what the actual numbers are.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enough - back on topic.

We can debate IMS bearings all day just like oil. The original posters question has been answered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" If the IMS was replaced with a quality retrofit like the LN system, you have miles to go before anything needs to be done"  Being the anal type (and a lawyer) without paperwork or registration (LN website shows no records), I wonder if it has been actually done.  That said,  running the numbers favors waiting (3k to fix now, or 15k x 5% risk of failure or $750).  

 

P.S.  This is my first 911 and it is a hoot.  I have owned 9 M cars and this is easily its equal.  

zonker.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 2:58 PM, NikitaUCLA said:

I purchased a 2002 with 60k and no IMS fix. I'm currently at 120k still with no IMS fix and will never get one. I'll take my chances. If you have money to waste, go for it. Won't hurt. 

 

Manual or Tiptronic?  I've been told the Tips have a higher risk, but don't know for sure.

 

Mine is a 2003 with 61k miles.  Debating on whether to do it or save the $5,000+ I got quoted for IMS replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is a manual.  I am going to wait for a clutch before I even consider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2019 at 3:24 PM, mjposner said:

Just purchased a 2004 Carrera C2 with 50k miles.  PPI was clean, and seller says he had IMS Bearing done in 2013 (when he bought).  I confirmed with his mechanic (now retired), but no paperwork.  So its been 6 years and 13k miles since 2013.  Had oil change at PPI and filter was spotless, no metal bits at all.  My mechanic says he would do nothing until clutch replacement.  

 

Feedback appreciated.

If the replacement IMSB is one manufactured by LN Engineering, you may be able to verify it on LNE's website. They have a database of replacements. But, if you don't find it in their database, it doesn't mean it wasn't done.  Many early replacements weren't logged and newer replacements are only logged if the shop doing the work follows through after the installation.

Edited by wyovino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 6:06 PM, Andrew911 said:

 

Manual or Tiptronic?  I've been told the Tips have a higher risk, but don't know for sure.

 

Mine is a 2003 with 61k miles.  Debating on whether to do it or save the $5,000+ I got quoted for IMS replacement.

That's not something I've ever heard or read (about Tiptronics). Regarding the $5k quote, that's likely for the IMS Solution, which is the one that never needs to be replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic has been discussed thousands of times. I can sleep at night knowing I’m on the original IMS with 119,000 miles. 

 

If you can’t, go get it done. 🙂 

my boxster is a manual and my 911 is an auto. 

No exploding engine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My oil test came back from Blackstone and the report states:

 

Wear from the IMS bearing shows up as iron, and the 9-ppm in this sample is just fine. Keep in mind, the IMS bearing is a sealed unit so we don't see any metal from it until the seal fails. Watch for an oil leak near the rear main seal or oil filter metal as symptoms of IMS trouble. Universal averages show typical wear after ~3,700 miles of oil use. Wear metals are fine so we don't suspect any mechanical issues. The 5.0 TBN shows lots of active additive in the oil. We consider 1.0 too low. No fuel or water was found, and oil filtration is fine with insolubles at 0.3%.

 

"If the replacement IMSB is one manufactured by LN Engineering, you may be able to verify it on LNE's website"  Mine is not listed (I think my prior owner had a private deal with shop (cash) and so no "paperwork."  Shop was sold over a year ago.  Spoke with former owner who said he did the ims in 2013.

 

"If the IMS was replaced with a quality retrofit like the LN system, you have miles to go before anything needs to be done."  I believe its a mileage 40-60k or time interval 4-6 years between replacements, so not sure low miles matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjposner said:

My oil test came back from Blackstone and the report states:

 

Wear from the IMS bearing shows up as iron, and the 9-ppm in this sample is just fine. Keep in mind, the IMS bearing is a sealed unit so we don't see any metal from it until the seal fails. Watch for an oil leak near the rear main seal or oil filter metal as symptoms of IMS trouble. Universal averages show typical wear after ~3,700 miles of oil use. Wear metals are fine so we don't suspect any mechanical issues. The 5.0 TBN shows lots of active additive in the oil. We consider 1.0 too low. No fuel or water was found, and oil filtration is fine with insolubles at 0.3%.

 

"If the replacement IMSB is one manufactured by LN Engineering, you may be able to verify it on LNE's website"  Mine is not listed (I think my prior owner had a private deal with shop (cash) and so no "paperwork."  Shop was sold over a year ago.  Spoke with former owner who said he did the ims in 2013.

 

"If the IMS was replaced with a quality retrofit like the LN system, you have miles to go before anything needs to be done."  I believe its a mileage 40-60k or time interval 4-6 years between replacements, so not sure low miles matters.

 

Current LN recommend replacement interval is 75K miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JFP, its no just miles and also depends on what was installed.  For me it is one of these:

IMS Retrofit™
Classic

4 years or 50,000 miles

IMS Retrofit™
Single Row Pro

6 years or 75,000 miles

So either way, by time I am ready for replacement despite only 13k more miles.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjposner said:

JFP, its no just miles and also depends on what was installed.  For me it is one of these:

IMS Retrofit™
Classic

4 years or 50,000 miles

IMS Retrofit™
Single Row Pro

6 years or 75,000 miles

So either way, by time I am ready for replacement despite only 13k more miles.  

 

 

Or install the IMS Solution and be done with it forever...…………..:wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.