Jump to content

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Recommended Posts

I've had my '02 C2 for a week now and have been really enjoying it.This thing can really carve turns.

It came with a full tank of gas and the gas gauge read correctly to nearly empty when I got the low fuel warning.

I filled it up, but it only took 12 gallons.

After filling, the gauge needle didn't move and the low fuel warning remained on.

The next day, the gas gauge slowly crept to almost full(about 7/8).

My initial reaction, for any car, is that it needs a new fuel gauge sending unit.

But I did read on this forum about a recalibration process that has to be done at the dealer.

Any help is always appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RJ'sGottaDrive said:

I've had my '02 C2 for a week now and have been really enjoying it.This thing can really carve turns.

It came with a full tank of gas and the gas gauge read correctly to nearly empty when I got the low fuel warning.

I filled it up, but it only took 12 gallons.

After filling, the gauge needle didn't move and the low fuel warning remained on.

The next day, the gas gauge slowly crept to almost full(about 7/8).

My initial reaction, for any car, is that it needs a new fuel gauge sending unit.

But I did read on this forum about a recalibration process that has to be done at the dealer.

Any help is always appreciated.

 

The factory recalibration.proceedure is complicated and requires a Porsche scan tool and a precise amount of fuel, but should fix your issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that Porsche of San Antonio charges $160.00/hr.  Even if you could afford the car you would be hard pressed to pay that rate.  At least I would ...  I'd hate to spend $200-$300 for the dealer to scan the system only to find out that it was the sending unit.  Depending on the cost of the sending unit I might start there...  Can anybody tell which direction is best?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy the sending unit for $250. Looks easy to install.

Since I can do it myself, I might start there.

Would the Durametric scan tool tell me if it's the sending unit?

Might be worth buying one if it can. Good investment for the future too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Durametric in this case will not tell you anything.  Generally, CEL's are related to emission equipment and running conditions.  That being said, I consider Durametric a wise investment.  Now, you have had the car a week and noticed a quark with the gas gauge.  Are you really ready to spend $$$ chasing this down?  Could be the sending unit is a bit sticky from non-use. 12 gallons in would put it at about 7/8 of a full tank.  I would wait until after a few more fill ups before jumping in with $$$ to check this out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, creekman said:

I believe that Porsche of San Antonio charges $160.00/hr.  Even if you could afford the car you would be hard pressed to pay that rate.  At least I would ...  I'd hate to spend $200-$300 for the dealer to scan the system only to find out that it was the sending unit.  Depending on the cost of the sending unit I might start there...  Can anybody tell which direction is best?

 

If memory serves , a new sending unit still requires calibration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DBJoe- it's good advice and I'll do that before I spend any money. It's the anal retentive engineer in me that wants things to work correctly and right now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Running a bottle of Techron in the fuel system might help as well.  Would not hurt anything to try.  Particularly if the car has been sitting around for awhile.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 8:38 AM, JFP in PA said:

 

If memory serves , a new sending unit still requires calibration.

 

Correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.