Jump to content

The RennTech.org community is Member supported!  Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating.
Click here to Donate

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Recommended Posts

Hi All

 

Got the above air bag fault the other day after a long drive.  It can be cleared by the durametric but turns on with the next ignition cycle, so it's permanent.

I did read about boxsters needing a new harness because of this, but my local porsche mech says it's probably the connection to the airbag in the door (inside the door panel) or the airbag itself, however I'd like to check the door harness connection point by the passenger's kick panel first, which is the easiest thing to do before I tear the door off - but not sure how to get in there yet.

RHD 2005 997.1 C2S in New zealand, so no salt and dry garages, no moisture issues etc.

image.thumb.png.1f15204234d1d4c1061d5441fb9d7c0b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
    You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

Fault 801B 
Passenger's head airbag


Possible fault causes:
- Short circuit to B+/ground/between lines or open circuit in the lines

- Connection with other ignition circuit
- Passenger's head airbag faulty

- POSIP triggering unit faulty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I put a 3ohm resistor in place of the air bag and the light goes out and I can clear the code, so I guess the airbag needs to be replaced...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, floatingkiwi said:

Loren - does a new (or second hand) airbag need to be coded to the car?  I have a durametric pro to clear codes etc.

 

No coding to the car - just clear the fault codes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2019 at 1:08 AM, Loren said:

Fault 801B 
Passenger's head airbag


Possible fault causes:
- Short circuit to B+/ground/between lines or open circuit in the lines

- Connection with other ignition circuit
- Passenger's head airbag faulty

- POSIP triggering unit faulty

Hi, I was at my Porsche dealer yesterday and during my maintenance they noted the battery cable terminals were not secured to battery and the ground wire to ground cable was loose (nut was upside down). They secured  battery connections, Covered vehicle battery maintainer, Created Val, sent Val (I’m not sure what all that means...) anyway it now throws the airbag light with code 801b, which has to do with the passenger head airbag short circuit to B+ ...what would be the best way to debug? I’m not that technical but do have an Autel reader for Porsche...is there something simple I could just do at the battery level since that seems to be what was changed at the time? Thanks

Edited by asharma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, asharma said:

Hi, I was at my Porsche dealer yesterday and during my maintenance they noted the battery cable terminals were not secured to battery and the ground wire to ground cable was loose (nut was upside down). They secured  battery connections, Covered vehicle battery maintainer, Created Val, sent Val (I’m not sure what all that means...) anyway it now throws the airbag light with code 801b, which has to do with the passenger head airbag short circuit to B+ ...what would be the best way to debug? I’m not that technical but do have an Autel reader for Porsche...is there something simple I could just do at the battery level since that seems to be what was changed at the time? Thanks

Bump, any advice would be appreciated, thanks kindly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, asharma said:

Bump, any advice would be appreciated, thanks kindly

 

You need to d some electrical diagnostics using tools like a digital multimeter or a Power Probe to check the appropriate circuits for electrical faults.  A Porsche specific scan tool is required to check the POSIP system.  Extreme care is called for to prevent inadvertently tripping the system and inflating the air bag.

 

If you do not have access to the tools, or a complete understanding of how the air bag and igniter circuits function, take it to a professional as air bag systems are capable of severely injuring or even killing you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

 

You need to d some electrical diagnostics using tools like a digital multimeter or a Power Probe to check the appropriate circuits for electrical faults.  A Porsche specific scan tool is required to check the POSIP system.  Extreme care is called for to prevent inadvertently tripping the system and inflating the air bag.

 

If you do not have access to the tools, or a complete understanding of how the air bag and igniter circuits function, take it to a professional as air bag systems are capable of severely injuring or even killing you.

Thanks for the warning, I SINCERELY appreciate it...I was “thinking” of simply removing the passenger side door panel to see if there was any obvious chaffing of wires etc...Does that sound like a safe plan or is there still risk of deployment? Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, asharma said:

Thanks for the warning, I SINCERELY appreciate it...I was “thinking” of simply removing the passenger side door panel to see if there was any obvious chaffing of wires etc...Does that sound like a safe plan or is there still risk of deployment? Thanks again

 

I have very rarely seen side air bag wires chafe inside the door unless the window mechanism caught them and tore them up.  Usually, the problem is where the wire harness exits the door and enters the main body.  In any case, you need to be electrically testing the entire harness, not just looking for obvious damage.

 

You need to disconnect the battery and leave the car alone for at least thirty min.before doing any work.  I also prefer to work with a static discharge wrist strap on one arm any time I am working near or on the air bags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

 

I have very rarely seen side air bag wires chafe inside the door unless the window mechanism caught them and tore them up.  Usually, the problem is where the wire harness exits the door and enters the main body.  In any case, you need to be electrically testing the entire harness, not just looking for obvious damage.

 

You need to disconnect the battery and leave the car alone for at least thirty min.before doing any work.  I also prefer to work with a static discharge wrist strap on one arm any time I am working near or on the air bags.

Ok thanks, definitely beyond me then...it must be coincidental that the dealership adjusted the battery terminals and the air bag light came on...just timing I guess...thanks again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2020 at 3:22 PM, JFP in PA said:

 

I have very rarely seen side air bag wires chafe inside the door unless the window mechanism caught them and tore them up.  Usually, the problem is where the wire harness exits the door and enters the main body.  In any case, you need to be electrically testing the entire harness, not just looking for obvious damage.

 

You need to disconnect the battery and leave the car alone for at least thirty min.before doing any work.  I also prefer to work with a static discharge wrist strap on one arm any time I am working near or on the air bags.

Just wanted to double check...is there a snowballs chance in hell that a bad battery could throw such a specific code (801b)...I’ve been reading the forums this weekend and noticed a couple cases where a low battery caused an airbag code...
 

if you think there is a chance, I could start with a battery load test...the battery is 8 years old...thanks 

 

edit: the battery is currently not holding a charge as I gassed up today and the battery was dead, just barely managed to get it started...it’s currently on a trickle charger and shows charged but when I drive, it quickly drains...

Edited by asharma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, asharma said:

Just wanted to double check...is there a snowballs chance in hell that a bad battery could throw such a specific code (801b)

 

Yes, we have seen a weak battery cause all sorts strange electrical issues.

If the battery is weak or over 4 years old it should likely be replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Loren said:

 

Yes, we have seen a weak battery cause all sorts strange electrical issues.

If the battery is weak or over 4 years old it should likely be replaced.

Thanks Loren...ok, will do...sounds like it’s time any way, regardless of whether it fixes the issue or not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 7:48 PM, Loren said:

 

Yes, we have seen a weak battery cause all sorts strange electrical issues.

If the battery is weak or over 4 years old it should likely be replaced.

Just a follow up...I did stick a new battery in today, no dice...code 801b keeps coming back after clearing...definitely behaving like a short as something seems to be drawing power from the battery, according to my battery charger...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then its time to monitor the battery current draw (amp meter) -- then remove one fuse (at a time) looking for the large current draw going away. That will be the circut with your draw or short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Loren said:

Then its time to monitor the battery current draw (amp meter) -- then remove one fuse (at a time) looking for the large current draw going away. That will be the circut with your draw or short.

Thanks Loren, given its code 801b, doesn’t that code already indicate its in the passenger side airbag harness?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Loren said:

Not necessarily. Airbags don't take much power at all.

Best to double check where your draw is.

 

Makes sense...appreciate the guidance... 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Loren said:

Not necessarily. Airbags don't take much power at all.

Best to double check where your draw is.

 

I have an amp meter on my battery charger...it seems to me the second I stick the key in, the meter goes from charged at 2 amps to like 8 amps, a 6 amp drop...I removed both driver and passenger seat 30amp fuses, no change...are there certain fuses you would start with? BTW, this is a 2008 RS60 Spyder (BoxsterS) with 8500 original miles...thanks

 

edit...please ignore this post...my amp meter was simply showing me that when the key was inserted, it went back to 10 amps of charging instead of a 2 amp trickle charge when charged...I still don’t know where the Short is however but trying to get it into a shop this week...

Edited by asharma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2020 at 10:05 PM, Loren said:

Not necessarily. Airbags don't take much power at all.

Best to double check where your draw is.

 

Hi, I went to the dealer today...they were finally able to clear the airbag code which they attributed to a voltage glitch, perhaps when a battery gets low etc previously they were unable to clear it but today they said it went from active to passive...

 

i did install a new battery the other day (After the car threw the airbag code) and trying to determine if there is actually a draw on it...when I came home today, I hooked my trickle charger up (1.1A) and it took 7 hours to fully charge...the other day I hooked my 10A charger up after a 30 minute drive and it took 30 min to fully charge...Does that sound like there is a draw on it from somewhere? Thanks

Edited by asharma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, asharma said:

Hi, I went to the dealer today...they were finally able to clear the airbag code which they attributed to a voltage glitch, perhaps when a battery gets low etc previously they were unable to clear it but today they said it went from active to passive...

 

i did install a new battery the other day (After the car threw the airbag code) and trying to determine if there is actually a draw on it...when I came home today, I hooked my trickle charger up (1.1A) and it took 7 hours to fully charge...the other day I hooked my 10A charger up after a 30 minute drive and it took 30 min to fully charge...Does that sound like there is a draw on it from somewhere? Thanks

Any feedback would be appreciated folks...Today, full charge (showing on my trickle charger) , backed out, washed it, had doors open etc, drove back in, 20 min to fully recharge on 10 amp charger...Does that sound right or could there be an unwanted draw causing this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you lock the car with the remote ? This is necessary to get the systems into sleep mode after some time, for minimum power consumption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.