Jump to content

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
Andy Ericksen

I bought the cheapest Porsche on Craigslist and the IMS bearing has failed

Recommended Posts

I bought the cheapest Porsche 996 on Craigslist (as a non-runner) and I think the IMS bearing has failed.  The car is a 2002 911 Carrera Coupe.  It has 101k miles on the odometer.  

I pulled the filter, opened it up and found ferromagnetic flakes (see pics).  There are also ferromagnetic flakes in the filter housing and in the oil that I drained out of the filter housing.

How likely is it that I can save this engine?  Am I better off buying a used engine?  If the engine can be saved I'd like to rebuild it myself.spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
    You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

Posted (edited)

Even if it can be rebuilt, it will probably be cheaper to put a used engine in it. Of course that could be a crap shoot too.

Edited by wyovino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s new engine time.  Porsche had class action suit filed against them re ims issue.  Too late to join in now.  Consider x51 engine as replacement.  Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rebuilding the M96/97 engine is not for the faint of heart or budget; specialty tools and knowledge are a necessity, and just returning it to factory spec can run you $15K in parts and machine shop time.  You can source a running engine usually for less than $5K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JFP in PA said:

Rebuilding the M96/97 engine is not for the faint of heart or budget; specialty tools and knowledge are a necessity, and just returning it to factory spec can run you $15K in parts and machine shop time.  You can source a running engine usually for less than $5K.

 

Thanks for the advice.  Can you suggest some reputable places that might have a good running M96/03?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Andy Ericksen said:

I bought the cheapest Porsche 996 on Craigslist (as a non-runner) and I think the IMS bearing has failed.  The car is a 2002 911 Carrera Coupe.  It has 101k miles on the odometer.  

I pulled the filter, opened it up and found ferromagnetic flakes (see pics).  There are also ferromagnetic flakes in the filter housing and in the oil that I drained out of the filter housing.

How likely is it that I can save this engine?  Am I better off buying a used engine?  If the engine can be saved I'd like to rebuild it myself.

 

Yes, this engine can be "saved" and rebuilt better than what the factory offered. But it all boils down to what YOU want to spend to make it right. Basically, you must learn the three Rs of Porsche M96 ownership as it applies to your current situation:

1.) Rebuild it 

2.) Replace it 

3.) Resell it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andy Ericksen said:

 

Thanks for the advice.  Can you suggest some reputable places that might have a good running M96/03?

 

Check with your local PCA chapter, and do some searching.  Engines occasionally show up here, but you need to find one closer to home, you really don't want to be shipping one of these all over the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once I source a new (used) engine, do you have any recommendations for what to do to 1: inspect it, and 2: prepare it prior to installation in the car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Andy Ericksen said:

Once I source a new (used) engine, do you have any recommendations for what to do to 1: inspect it, and 2: prepare it prior to installation in the car?

 

The answer to that question is almost endless:  New IMS, new RMS, new AOS, new low temp thermostat, new water pump, etc. etc...…..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JFP, you have given me a lot of good advice.  I have one more question: Most of the used engines I'm seeing online come with a 30 day warranty.  What or how should I check/inspect to decide if the engine is 'good' before installing it?  In other words, is there anything I can do to be relatively sure the engine isn't going to fail right after putting money in a new IMSB, RMS, AOS, T-stat, etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Andy Ericksen said:

JFP, you have given me a lot of good advice.  I have one more question: Most of the used engines I'm seeing online come with a 30 day warranty.  What or how should I check/inspect to decide if the engine is 'good' before installing it?  In other words, is there anything I can do to be relatively sure the engine isn't going to fail right after putting money in a new IMSB, RMS, AOS, T-stat, etc?

 

Run a leak down test on the engine, bore scope it, pull the sump cover and oil filter looking for metal like you have already found,  look it over carefully for external damage, check the engine number on the sump rail to make sure it is what it is supposed to be (not a 2.5L masquerading as a 3.6L).  You need to also be careful what year the engine is as major systems changed several times ( DME version, fuel system, communications protocols like the expanding use of CAN bus technology for the sensors to communicate over in later model years, etc.)

 

While just about any year will bolt in, not every year will connect to your chassis and communicate properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You actually might check out Porsche NA.  I have heard that they are offering short blocks for $7500.  You transfer all your existing engine stuff over to a brand new short block.  You will want to have the heads professionally rebuilt, and replace the major/minor stuff already mentioned.  If you are going to farm out the work, expect somewhere in the $15-18K range for a complete job.  I believe these guys are the best head rebuilders out there, and you should maybe find out from them about an entire engine rebuild https://www.hartech.org/

 

No wait...that's not what I was thinking of.  I'll  go look it up on the head rebuilders...something H....

 

Hoffman  www.hamheads.com

Of course the ultimate builder is Flat 6.  About a year wait....

Edited by DBJoe996

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DBJoe996 said:

You actually might check out Porsche NA.  I have heard that they are offering short blocks for $7500.  You transfer all your existing engine stuff over to a brand new short block.  You will want to have the heads professionally rebuilt, and replace the major/minor stuff already mentioned.  If you are going to farm out the work, expect somewhere in the $15-18K range for a complete job.  I believe these guys are the best head rebuilders out there, and you should maybe find out from them about an entire engine rebuild https://www.hartech.org/

 

No wait...that's not what I was thinking of.  I'll  go look it up on the head rebuilders...something H....

 

Hoffman  www.hamheads.com

Of course the ultimate builder is Flat 6.  About a year wait....

Thanks for the tips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Factory x51 should be considered.  Would likely require replacement trans and diff, etc, but horsepower would be good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.