Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New owner - 2002 TT

Todd230

Hi there - moving from air cooled to a new to me 2002 white w/natural grey Interior. It’s mainly original with GT2 wheels size, offset, and tire sizes, fab speed exhaust, assuming an ECU tune of some sort (it hits .9 bar consistently), Billet diverter valves. For options it’s a tip, full carbon, full leather interior, three spoke wheel, dual electric seats, Bose sound system, and aero option. It’s got 44k miles and appears to have been well kept. I’ve had the wheels re-powder coated gloss gunmetal (from satin black), new tires (fronts were from 2006 :-)), and I’ve reconstructed the carbon dash pieces and side ac vents. 

Im chasing down a parasitic current draw and think I have it isolated to the radio but not 100%. Just started that process and I’m sure I will have questions. . I plan to do oil and trans fluids and probably new front disks and pads. It’s a pretty amazing performance car and I’m excited to own and work on. My last three Porsche were 86 Carrera, 70 914-6, and 67 912-6 (which paid for this one). Love the great AC and modern convenience of this car + brute strength...

6CD3AC2D-F502-4210-A7F6-87E032B935CE.thumb.jpeg.f55fe22395fb92a3be4e1776b7d6f76f.jpeg

Edited by Todd230
  • Like 1

Welcome. I have found it useful to remove any aftermarket electronic equipment when chasing parasitic draws. Radio, radar detectors etc.
I’m 3 years into ownership of my 02 with 36,000km.
I recommend pulling off the front bumper to check the condition of and clean the radiators and install a mesh if one isn’t there.
I just finished chasing suspension noises which were coming from upper mounts, go with 997 versions, and lower control arms.
I see the original rear spoiler is gone. Yeah!! You don’t have to deal with leaking hydraulics.
Like any Porsche they like to be driven hard.
Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info and suggestions. I will take a look at those. The rear fixed spoiler is part of the factory aero package. I did remove the radar detector and the radio is factory. I have found if I disconnect the battery long enough for the radio security to request the code my drain goes away. I’ve not measure the amps yet but I can kill the battery in hours with the radio enabled. Without entering the code I’ve yet to have a battery issue. I’ve downloaded the radio circuit schematic and plan to look at the switches in sub circuits that enable power when the ignition switch is off. The switch was replaced at Porsche once, but I suppose that can happen again so will see if I can capture current flowing at that node.  The other factor in the parasitic drain is I’ve learned to lock the car. I’ve yet to try leaving it unlocked to see how bad the drain is in that condition. 

Again, thank you for the info and reply,

Todd

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/17/2019 at 4:47 AM, Todd230 said:

6CD3AC2D-F502-4210-A7F6-87E032B935CE.thumb.jpeg.f55fe22395fb92a3be4e1776b7d6f76f.jpeg

That's a really beautiful and quite rare car, white is rare and even more so with the aero kit. It doesn't look like factory though, since the lower sill covers and the front lip are not in the body colour. Either that or the lower sills were replaced with plain plastic ones and the lip was painted black or is an aftermarket one.

Thx!  It’s a factory Aero car. Underhood sticker confirms and the rockers are white painted. They were covered with black protective film (you can see it peeling right behind front tire). I’ve since removed and used clear bra material to protect. Front lip is definitely aftermarket. I kind of like the black so haven’t looked to replace with white.  @Mezgerman. Thx for the tip - I have noticed when I lock the car I don’t have the battery drain. I’ve left the radio off (rarely use) and the draw is gone So not sure if it’s a sensor issue or the radio - possibly both. Plan to dig into that when it cools off this year. Other than rocker clean up I’ve added a speed tech muffled x-pipe. Sound is amazing but not too loud. Really enjoying the car. 

Edited by Todd230

Nice. I've been toying with the idea of putting an Aerokit into mine as well. Original ones can still be bought from Porsche or from Carnewal or any of the other usual suspects.

If my hydromechanical contraption in the back dies (it did once, under warranty, 10 years ago), I will go for the Aerokit instead of spending on a new cylinder set.