Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1998 Porsche 986 crank but won't start !!

Hi there,

I really need your help with my boxster 986. The seller informed me that this car won't start after sitting in the garage for 5 months. At first I thought it's the battery problem, so I replaced the battery. the engine will crank but no fire at all. Then after some research I found out it could be a CAMSHAFT or CRANKSHAFT sensor problem. Then I bought a scanner, found code P1397 which is a camshaft position sensor bank 2. Someone has mentioned on 986forum that a crankshaft position sensor could also throw a camshaft code, but I chose to go with camshaft sensor because that is what said on the scanner. I ordered an aftermarket camshaft sensor from pelican parts, and the part number is 996-606-106-04-M18.

After install the sensor, still no good. However, the tach now starts to move a little, and 1 out of 20 times it will fire up but then die immediately. 

so now everyone, should I go replace the Crankshaft sensor ? or what else should I consider? Could it be a fuel pump problem? Will replace the fuel pump relay help ? 

Thanks everyone in advance !! 

Troy 

• Like 1

I would go through the troubleshooting process for fuel pump to see if that gives you any guidance. Relay is one possibility or the pump itself. My pump went out around 100k mi and 19yrs. I also replaced the crank sensor because I thought that was it. Nope...just the fuel pump. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crwarren11 said:

I would go through the troubleshooting process for fuel pump to see if that gives you any guidance. Relay is one possibility or the pump itself. My pump went out around 100k mi and 19yrs. I also replaced the crank sensor because I thought that was it. Nope...just the fuel pump. 

Hi Crwarren11 thanks for you reply, can you point me to a post that touches on troubleshooting fuel pump related stuff ? That would help a lot ! 

After replacing the fuel pump it was obvious what the noise of the fuel pump running was supposed to sound like.  Since this was my first fuel pump job, I never knew before, but it is a very distinct noise you can hear either from the area under the hood near the battery, or some have suggested listening into the fuel filler with the cap removed.  To me it is a buzzing noise, kind of like one of those small drones makes (like the ones you would buy for a 5 year old, not the big ones for us adult children).  I did all the jumping methods for the relay, etc. and never got the noise.  Also tested the pressure at the schrader valve, which was 0 at all times.  What threw me off initially was that I kept reading the telltale sign of a bad crankcase sensor was that the tachometer would not bounce when trying to start.  Mine did not, so I thought that was it.  As I mentioned earlier, my sensor was fine.  Hope this helps...

6 hours ago, crwarren11 said:

After replacing the fuel pump it was obvious what the noise of the fuel pump running was supposed to sound like.  Since this was my first fuel pump job, I never knew before, but it is a very distinct noise you can hear either from the area under the hood near the battery, or some have suggested listening into the fuel filler with the cap removed.  To me it is a buzzing noise, kind of like one of those small drones makes (like the ones you would buy for a 5 year old, not the big ones for us adult children).  I did all the jumping methods for the relay, etc. and never got the noise.  Also tested the pressure at the schrader valve, which was 0 at all times.  What threw me off initially was that I kept reading the telltale sign of a bad crankcase sensor was that the tachometer would not bounce when trying to start.  Mine did not, so I thought that was it.  As I mentioned earlier, my sensor was fine.  Hope this helps...

thanks a lot man !! I will keep you updated.