Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello All –

First, I am new to Forums and Car communities. I was fortunate enough to find a 996.1 (any 911 was my goal), and after a purchase this past weekend, I am now a 911 owner! I have been looking forward to this for quite some time!

Because of the deal I received on this vehicle, there were several items that I will need to address. I have read through forums for quite some time and I always see the “Noob” asking questions and members jumping on them to search for the topic instead of re-posting a similar question. I will do my best to do that.

In this post, I am hoping to get your help to gather some information/links to the best discussions. I have so many little items, it is hard to stay focused on one, especially if it maybe a quick solution. Going forward, I will not post in bulk like this. I was just hoping to get as much going as quickly as possible.

Please see below and connect me to the best DIY post, or place to purchase new/used parts.

I live in the Napa Valley. Are there any recommended mechanics, part stores (new or used), or forum members near me?

Issues list:

1.     Front Bumper

a.     Bumper insert is missing. It looks like the something was cut out too. I would love to find a used one in Black Metallic.

2.     Rear Deck

a.     I would love to find a local OEM rear trunk. I would also love to sell my Aero “Taco” wing. Both in Black Metallic. 

3.     Center Console + Break Boot

a.     Grey – Mine is worn away showing the black underneath. It really makes the inside look bad. I have seen a few covers, but wanted your opinion.

4.     Radio – HiFI system

a.     Issue: Sounds only comes out of the front drivers side speaker. Sub seems to work fine all the time.

b.     What I have tried: I have checked fad/bal to ensure it was centered.

c.      What to try next: Fuse/Amp?

5.     Front Hood Release

a.     Issue: Hood is not released via remote or latch (works with emergency release cable). When I try with the remote or latch, I hear the solenoid do something.

b.     What I have tried: Pushing down on hood while trying to release. Lifting up on hood while trying to release.

c.      What to try next: Replace Hood latch? Solenoid? Struts seem ok, enough to release hood.

6.     Clock Cluster Light

a.     Issue: My Clock LCD is not backlit

b.     What I have tried: Looking up if it is a bulb or LCD only. I think the 996.1 maybe a bulb, and a 996.2 is LCD (powered by ribbon).  I think I need the beige bulb, 12V/1.5w.

c.      What to try next: Buy a bulb? Are all three the same? If I am taking the cluster out, I should replace all three of them. Here is what I found: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/15834636-62111391260?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=feed_Porsche&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuKKj6fWs6QIV2iCtBh2D1wiZEAQYBSABEgKku_D_BwE

7.     Turn Signal

a.     Issue: My turn signal doesn’t self-cancel. I have seen a few videos where the tab(s) break off.

b.     What I have tried: Nothing yet.

c.      What to try next: Purchase used or new unit? Would a used unit break sooner? Is it worth to buy new?

8.     ODO Miles/Trip LCD

a.     Issue: ODO Miles/Trip LCD  (left) has several pixels out.

b.     What I have tried: Quick online search

c.      What to try next: Is it worth it to buy a kit? This doesn’t bother me bad. I saw a T-Bar that you can heat to attach the ribbon. I don’t have other tools like a soldering iron.

9.     Airbag light

a.     Issue: I drove the car for two days with no issue. The other morning it came on and has stayed on.

b.     What I have tried: Quick search online

c.      What to try next: Swap out seat belt? Fuse?

10. Seats

a.     Any conditioner/treatment you would recommend. There are sections that look shriveled up, but from farther away look like a stain. They are leather

11. Clutch

a.     Mine catches really high, is this normal, or could this be a sign the clutch is betting worn?

12. IMS/RMS/Water pump/Clutch

a.     I would love to get a price on these items from a trusted place near me. Not sure I can swing everything, but I want to get my budget in place.

Thank you very much for your help! I look forward to being part of this community!

Edited by OneDay911

• Admin

:welcomeani:

1. I am not sure what you are speaking of... perhaps a photo?

2. Did the car come with the aerokit package (option XAA). If so, I believe it will be worth a good sum more in a resale as there were not huge number of factory aerokit cars.

3.Leather or vinyl ? If leather I would still leather for both looks and wear.

4. There should be dash speaker and door speakers (plus woofer) depending on the cars options. Not likely a fuse or amp if you have some sound. I would look for crimped or cut wires or even blown speakers.

5. Check the hood latch for excessive wear or misalignment. Adust retry - if aligned properly and it still only clicks then likely the solenoid is weak and needs replacing.

6. and 8. MY 2001 wass on odd year for clusters as it in the middle of the change over. I would remove and look for loose connectors or damaged wires. If it has bulbs they can be removed and tested at the same time.

7. Likely broken - a new steering wheel switch assembly is likely needed. As you said is a used one worth repairing again in one year? Depends on how long you plan to keep the car.

9. Test the car with Durametric, Porsche PST2, or PIWIS - any of those will pin point the location of the issue(s). Much better than parts guessing.

10. I like Lexol - cleaner followed by treatment. Then don't touch the leather for a week or so.

11. Normal for the 996 - it is a hydralic actuated clutch so very little adjustment is possible.

12. Try Sunset Porsche (a board sponsor) - most OEM Porsche parts are their cost plus 15%. (As opposed to most dealers 100% mark ups).

https://www.renntech.org/sunset/

2 hours ago, Loren said:

:welcomeani:

1. I am not sure what you are speaking of... perhaps a photo?

2. Did the car come with the aerokit package (option XAA). If so, I believe it will be worth a good sum more in a resale as there were not huge number of factory aerokit cars.

3.Leather or vinyl ? If leather I would still leather for both looks and wear.

4. There should be dash speaker and door speakers (plus woofer) depending on the cars options. Not likely a fuse or amp if you have some sound. I would look for crimped or cut wires or even blown speakers.

5. Check the hood latch for excessive wear or misalignment. Adust retry - if aligned properly and it still only clicks then likely the solenoid is weak and needs replacing.

6. and 8. MY 2001 wass on odd year for clusters as it in the middle of the change over. I would remove and look for loose connectors or damaged wires. If it has bulbs they can be removed and tested at the same time.

7. Likely broken - a new steering wheel switch assembly is likely needed. As you said is a used one worth repairing again in one year? Depends on how long you plan to keep the car.

9. Test the car with Durametric, Porsche PST2, or PIWIS - any of those will pin point the location of the issue(s). Much better than parts guessing.

10. I like Lexol - cleaner followed by treatment. Then don't touch the leather for a week or so.

11. Normal for the 996 - it is a hydralic actuated clutch so very little adjustment is possible.

12. Try Sunset Porsche (a board sponsor) - most OEM Porsche parts are their cost plus 15%. (As opposed to most dealers 100% mark ups).

https://www.renntech.org/sunset/

Thank you. It looks like I am limited to the size of files I can upload. I will do a few uploads to get these all added.

1. See pictures to follow

2. This car did not have that option (no side skirts or front bumper). It looks like just the wing was added. MKII maybe? See attached image with number. Does this look like a factory wing? I will include another picture of this wing in a follow up post.

3. It is Vinyl (almost rubber like). Depending on cost, a leather one would be fine. Do you know where these maybe available?

4. It is raining today/tomorrow. I will check around after the sun comes out again.

5. I will play around with this again. Maybe the solenoid is too weak. Is there a best place to buy this?

6. & 8. I will just remove it and see which one I have. I was hoping to have the proper parts beforehand, but it looks pretty simple to do.

7. Does anyone know where the best price on a new one would be? I see some on ebay, and I really like those prices, but I also want to do things one time.

9. I will need to look into getting something to scan my car.... I may stay on for awhile.

10. I don't want to not drive it for a week, but I think it maybe worth it.

11. Good to know. Thank you for that info.

12. Are there any shops around here that could give pricing? Shops that you would recommend? I don't have adequate tools to do all of this work.

20200512_154342.jpg20200512_154559.thumb.jpg.76b7b446a2b01f9c44bfd041ad27e8b8.jpg20200512_154146.thumb.jpg.84ef64b89038af1a7fecbc8e4d8094a2.jpg20200512_154204.thumb.jpg.d7af064535513a8099954e7bfa30f553.jpg

Edited by OneDay911