Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2000 996 Carrera 2 coupe 6-speed: windows regulator

The driver side window regulator in my car started making a loud scratchy noise about 2 or 3 years ago.  I tried to minimize its use, fearing that it was going to fail, but eventually it got better and right now the scratching noise, while still there,  is almost imperceptible.   The window, however, does not lower automatically ¼” or ½” , whatever it is supposed to do, when I open the door.  I am not sure if this is an issue related to the window regulator or to a failed microswitch.

I have bought a Porsche OEM window regulator, but I wouldn’t go to the trouble of getting it installed, unless I am sure that the window regulator currently in the car is bad.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks

One simple thing to try is with the door open (and the window did not drop), push on the top of the glass and see if can be pushed downwards.  If yes, bad window regulator.  The cable in the window regulator gets old and develops some slack.  If not, bad door handle microswitch.

26 minutes ago, Philip54 said:

The door key turns freely without locking/unlocking.  I am trying to get the door latch mechanism out, but I could not separate the handle/handle case assembly from the latch mechanism.

There is a threaded "key" that goes from the door lock to the door latch mechanism.  I've detailed some of the work here 

RENNLIST.COM

996 Forum - DIY: 996 Door Latch Replacement [Detailed] - If your window does not stay lowered when your door is open, chances are that a switch within the door latch has gone out. This is a detailed procedure to change...

1 hour ago, sprout99 said:

I've changed a window regulator recently..... 

Horrible job! Fiddly getting it set up right. 

The cable tension does indeed need to be right for the window to drop. 

Thanks for your confirmation. I was wondering if there is a way of re-tensioning the cable without replacing the all thing.  Also, I am still a little surprised  about the big reduction in the scratching noise when operating the window.  I believe that knowing what is causing the scratching noise can help deciding whether replacing the window regulator (assuming that the cable can be re-tensioned).

1 hour ago, DBJoe996 said:

There is a threaded "key" that goes from the door lock to the door latch mechanism.  I've detailed some of the work here 

RENNLIST.COM

996 Forum - DIY: 996 Door Latch Replacement [Detailed] - If your window does not stay lowered when your door is open, chances are that a switch within the door latch has gone out. This is a detailed procedure to change...

Thanks for the link to the detailed door latch replacement procedure.  I am going through the procedure right now.

20 hours ago, Philip54 said:

Thanks for your confirmation. I was wondering if there is a way of re-tensioning the cable without replacing the all thing.  Also, I am still a little surprised  about the big reduction in the scratching noise when operating the window.  I believe that knowing what is causing the scratching noise can help deciding whether replacing the window regulator (assuming that the cable can be re-tensioned).

I bought a none genuine part as I needed it sorting In a hurry  so the adjustment maybe different. The oem equivalent part has cable tensioning screws in bottom corners. 

I think porsche version uses some retaining clips that allow the cable to be adjusted either side of the drive gear. 

If it works leave it. 

My cable snapped just after I'd arrived at an airport at the start of a business trip. 

This is NOT a part to go cheap on.  Only get a real OE Porsche window regulator.  I have heard and read many stories about cheap window regulators breaking after less than a year, cables snapping, grinding and so on.  No, you cannot finagle a way to tension the cables.  It's a Porsche, pony up the cost of the OE Porsche window regulator and be done with this job.  I do believe there is a company in Texas that you can send  it to for a rebuild with much higher quality parts.  I'll see if I can find that info.  But you will have to wait out the shipping and rebuilding time.

8 hours ago, DBJoe996 said:

This is NOT a part to go cheap on.  Only get a real OE Porsche window regulator.  I have heard and read many stories about cheap window regulators breaking after less than a year, cables snapping, grinding and so on.  No, you cannot finagle a way to tension the cables.  It's a Porsche, pony up the cost of the OE Porsche window regulator and be done with this job.  I do believe there is a company in Texas that you can send  it to for a rebuild with much higher quality parts.  I'll see if I can find that info.  But you will have to wait out the shipping and rebuilding time.

Actually I had already purchased an OEM Porsche window regulator.  I was not sure if having it installed or not, because the existing window regulator had been working reasonably well recently.  But the glass was not dropping, when opening the door, and considering that the regulator lasted 20 years, I decided to have it replaced.  The job was done by an independent Porsche mechanic today and everything is fine.  Also the door lock was repaired.  It was my intention to do the lock myself, but it proved to be too much of a job for me. Thanks for all the advice provided.

10 hours ago, sprout99 said:

I bought a none genuine part as I needed it sorting In a hurry  so the adjustment maybe different. The oem equivalent part has cable tensioning screws in bottom corners. 

I think porsche version uses some retaining clips that allow the cable to be adjusted either side of the drive gear. 

If it works leave it. 

My cable snapped just after I'd arrived at an airport at the start of a business trip. 

Thanks for the additional information provided!

On 6/4/2020 at 9:16 PM, DBJoe996 said:

This is NOT a part to go cheap on.  Only get a real OE Porsche window regulator.  I have heard and read many stories about cheap window regulators breaking after less than a year, cables snapping, grinding and so on.

Dont totally agree. 

I bought one with a two year warranty. 

It fits just fine.

It took a while to get it working because the window glass has to be adjusted right before the mech can be set up. Once you have slider end stops adjusted the cable tension needs a fine tune. 

To the OP. The microswitch in door handles is supposed to send a signal to drop glass 

Check they are working correctly 

Sadly it will be a door trim off for this