Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Repairing center console scratches

I don't know if anyone has done any repairs on scratches on their center consoles, but I have a couple on mine I'd like to fix.

If you have, I'd be interested in how you did it and how it turned out, short of taking it completely out of the car and respraying.

I know SEM makes a spray paint for auto interiors and I've used it on a previous car I've owned with so-so results.

Don't know if they make a color that would match up to Savanna Beige.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Console.jpg

I have found some carbon fiber replacements and some OEM replacements.  My grey console is pretty beaten up and I might just go OEM black.

I also say someone in the Facebook group painted theirs with multiple coats of plastidip and it came out well.

• 4 weeks later...

I took my ashtray to Home Depot and had it color matched in a  latex enamel. I don't remember if it was satin or semigloss. It worked well. Then I painted it in silver PlastiDip and that looked good for a little while.  Eventually I got tired of touching it up and covered it in fabric.

IMG_3483.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi

I admire you cloth covering skills but ugh on your choice of fabric given the options that are out there! I do like the smokers delete. Have you done the horseshoe and air vents to match the same fabric 🙂 ?

All the best

Berni

It' a touch of old school and not to everyone's taste. It looks better in person.  As far as better options for hounds tooth fabric, I think I checked every website there is. I'm thinking about doing the horseshoe as that's starting to look a bit tired, but I might just replace it with an unpainted black version that some years used. I'm tired of touching these pieces up.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a used console off of eBay. My plan is to strip it and either repaint it gloss black or possibly have it recovered in black leather like Wheels and Deals did on the 996 episode last year. I have a grey interior but was thinking black console, gray side pieces and gray concole door. Purely an experiment before replacing my slightly scratched gray console. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can't help with beige but I removed my grey console last winter to deal with the marks.  Removal wasn't hard.  I used scotchbrite pads and warm water to remove the soft coat.  After clean up and prep, I sprayed a couple of coats with silver testors (plastic model car) paint.  I was very please with the match (arctic silver).  Its almost been a year and the paint seems to be holding up pretty well.  If I have to repaint at some time, it'll be no big deal.  It looks 100% better than the look of scratched up console.