Jump to content

The RennTech.org community is Member supported!  Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating.
Click here to Donate

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

removal - rear sway bar '77 911


Recommended Posts

Hi All:

Noob to the forums.  Incredible amount of info here.  

In the midst of an engine drop for my new to me 911.  Peppy 2.7l but leaks everywhere.  Have to pull out the rear sway bar, but it's the kind which is in a ball/socket type, not the bolt (see pic).  I have searched and found Wayne's 'method', as well as some others, which just don't seem to work to get the sway bar off.  Any suggestions?  Thanks very much!

Best,

Bert 

 

IMG_3660.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
    You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

  • Moderators

That ball and socket end link is a press in item:

 

spacer.png

 

Porsche stopped using this design in 1977 because it is such a pain to seal with and move to a more "wrench friendly" mounting system in 1978, which is a simple bolt in swap for your car.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

That ball and socket end link is a press in item:

 

spacer.png

 

Porsche stopped using this design in 1977 because it is such a pain to seal with and move to a more "wrench friendly" mounting system in 1978, which is a simple bolt in swap for your car.

Thanks JFP!  I did see that, but still need to remove it - any thoughts on that?  (Love the Feynman quote as someone who spent time at Tech in Pasadena).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
Just now, BC Li said:

Thanks JFP!  I did see that, but still need to remove it - any thoughts on that?  (Love the Feynman quote as someone who spent time at Tech in Pasadena).

 

That is not going to be easy, most people use a torch to heat the aluminum section where the tapered pin inserts, then wack it out with a hammer when the aluminum is hot.  Unfortunately, that often snaps off the tapered pin or destroys the bar link itself, which is the reason it is common to see 74-77 911's with no rear sway bars.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

 

That is not going to be easy, most people use a torch to heat the aluminum section where the tapered pin inserts, then wack it out with a hammer when the aluminum is hot.  Unfortunately, that often snaps off the tapered pin or destroys the bar link itself, which is the reason it is common to see 74-77 911's with no rear sway bars.

Ok; thanks - didn't count on that when deciding to drop the engine.  Might have to come up with something creative one way or the other.  Thanks again!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, BC Li said:

Ok; thanks - didn't count on that when deciding to drop the engine.  Might have to come up with something creative one way or the other.  Thanks again!

 A lot of people and shops simply update the cars to the later setup, which is totally bolt in, or update to aftermarket bars and mounts that are adjustable for better handling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

 A lot of people and shops simply update the cars to the later setup, which is totally bolt in, or update to aftermarket bars and mounts that are adjustable for better handling.

Thanks JFP.  I'll look into the bolt in swap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.