Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I'm trying to smog my '14 991, but I have one sensor that is not in the ready yet, the o2 sensor.  I've driven the car over 1k miles now, and have tried the various drive cycles that are out there (anyone realize how dangerous it is to drive 54mph on the freeway!?  this is at the butt crack of dawn too!)

A local p-car enthusiast has indicated I could utilize his PIWIS to help with this issue.  Does anyone know what screen I need to get into force a 'short test' that I've seen mentioned on the interwebs?

Thx!

@Loren Any other suggestions besides driving it?  I've put 1k miles on it, and still can't get the o2 to be ready.  I called the dealer and they want $500 to get it ready -- seems a bit excessive.  My understanding is they can run some sort of short test to get it ready (but I may be wrong here.)

• Moderators
2 hours ago, yoda888 said:

@Loren Any other suggestions besides driving it?  I've put 1k miles on it, and still can't get the o2 to be ready.  I called the dealer and they want $500 to get it ready -- seems a bit excessive.  My understanding is they can run some sort of short test to get it ready (but I may be wrong here.)

Are you sure that the sensor in question is working properly?  An intermittent fault can cause the system to not reset.

• Admin
4 hours ago, yoda888 said:

As JFP said an intermittent sensor or other fault can cause the not ready state. .

Hmm, how do I check if there's an intermittent fault?  I don't see any codes that are stored (using a iCarSoft device).  And when I look at each of the o2 sensors individually, they're all showing "pass" and within the range.  

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, yoda888 said:

Hmm, how do I check if there's an intermittent fault?  I don't see any codes that are stored (using a iCarSoft device).  And when I look at each of the o2 sensors individually, they're all showing "pass" and within the range.  

Usually, intermittent faults are stored as "pending codes", although O2 sensor codes can clear themselves if the DME sees the system going back to normal activities. As I do not know how your tool handles that, I cannot specifically say where you may find them.   I would be looking at how the sensors are performing from a voltage standpoint, both sensor on either side is expected to remain within certain limits, of one of them is occasionally wander outside those limits, it can delay the reset, but that would need to be captured in real time.  Intermittant faults are always the hardest to nail down.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, got an update.  Plugged in the PIWIS and low and behold, it shows the o2 sensor as ready.  Further digging shows that the "VarioCam PLUS" status as a "sad face"

I also see a fault in memory, P2271, "o2 sensor signal biased/stuck rich, bank 1 sensor 2 (Limit exceeded)"

Any ideas here?

Thx

• Moderators

The causes for this DTC may include:

*Contaminated or failed HO2S2 (Sensor 2)

*HO2S2 wiring/circuit problem

*Fuel pressure incorrect

*Faulty fuel injector

*Engine coolant leak

*Faulty purge solenoid valve