Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

thank you all for the input! i really appreciate having this resource.

Update: since the issue was getting more extreme and it was a strong feeling of mine that it was the Drive Block, because of the power going out except that the radio and clock settings were saved. i took the alarm/immobilizer unit out of the car and ensured the connections were all good and no corrosion. i took the fuse out of the unit and cleaned the blades. after reinstalling i have not had an issue...this has happened before though. i changed the ignition switch and the car was great for a while. i will see what happens.

again thank you all for the input.

• 3 months later...

Well...I am back with the same issue. only this time the car has no power, meaning that it appears that the battery is completely dead and there is no power at all to any component (no interior lights, dash lights, power locks, etc.). However, the battery is fully charged and the anti-theft light is blinking on the radio.

I have been told that the Electronic Immobilizer (aka Drive Block) will only interrupt power to the coils and consumer components will still be active.

😞

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, jstew039 said:

Well...I am back with the same issue. only this time the car has no power, meaning that it appears that the battery is completely dead and there is no power at all to any component (no interior lights, dash lights, power locks, etc.). However, the battery is fully charged and the anti-theft light is blinking on the radio.

I have been told that the Electronic Immobilizer (aka Drive Block) will only interrupt power to the coils and consumer components will still be active.

😞

The immobilizer, what you call drive block, shuts off power to the ignition and fuel systems when it is working properly.   That said, because of its location (under the driver's seat), it is very susceptible to being flooded when the car's drains plug up, which shorts out the system and can cause other issues.  I would pull the unit, open it up and look for signs of water damage.  These can sometimes be repaired but are often toast when this happens.

Good luck.

I am extremely fortunate that there is no evidence of moisture at all in the seat well. And I really had it in my mind that it was the Drive Block...but you are not the only person that has told me the only systems that are interrupted are ignition and fuel...if it is working properly.

I removed the unit from under the seat and visually inspected, inside and out. Replaced the mini 15 amp fuse and refitted the unit back in place.

Still nothing...BUT THEN with the key in the ignition and the ignition in the ON position...I just started trying different electrical items, and when I turned the headlights on - BAM!! the dash lit up and power was restored.

Hmmm, maybe a bad headlight switch?