Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Grease mark on the cabriolet top

• Admin

This message was sent to me (by Mark J in Boston) and I am posting it for Mark so everyone can get a benefit from the answers...

"Hello Loren (or anyone else),

Just picked up an 03 C4 Cab this month (Gray, Gray, Gray) and received it in from the dealer with a small (what looks like grease) mark on the cabriolet top.  Yes, I can bring it back up to the dealer later this month and have them try and get it out, but don't have too much faith with their "prep" guy as he did not do that great of a job prepping the car in the first place.

Any good advice on what product might take the stain out without harm to the top?  Would like to be prepared as it would appear that a gray top is going to be prone to stains.

thanks in advance.

Mark J. in Boston (Go Sox!)"

• Admin

Don's asked that I forward his reply...

The Cab top comes with Porsche Protectorant already imbedded in the fabric.  Even though the manual says to "rub" spots out with carwash and rubber sponge, I would not suggest ANY rubbing, for that will spread whatever material is on the top.  I would try solution of warm water and whatever you use to wash his car.  Soak a rag and sort of crumble the rag up and try and blot the spot by applying pressure over the spot, holding for a bit and then lifting.  If some of it comes off then use a different spot in the towel and repeat. I wouldn't use any kind of de-greaser or any alcohol based products.  If what I suggested doesn't work, you really need to take it to a dealer. You say you doesn't trust the dealer you are going to. I've had good luck with IRA Porsche in Danvers, just above Boston.  I wouldn't go to Claire or Herb Chambers.  I go to Reitzl south of Boston, and they are very fussy with their work.  Reitzl Porsche/Audi is owned by Wolfgang Reitzl who has connections with PAG (FWIW).  But if you can't get the grease out with the dabbing I suggested then I wouldn't fool with it.  Let the folks at Porsche deal with it. that's my .02 :D

Hello,

Dealer was able to remove grease mark on top with some sort of "industrial strength" cleaner. Now concerned to re-apply sealant/waterproofer. Have used Porsche's Top sealer in the past on my Boxster. Any consensus on what works best?

thanks,

Mark J.

Mark, I don't know what's in the Porsche Protectorant so I use what Porsche has available at the dealers. Not cheap, of course, but it does work. You won't have to do the whole top...just around the spot. Make sure to mask off any surrounding bodywork.

OK, I have had some good experience with this. I have had tree sap, grease (car axle), bird crap (bad stuff too), road grease (from tarmacadam) and wost than anything chewing gum on my roof. I have tried all sorts of things including old wives recipies like vinigar, apple juice, and so on. Despite this my roof looks like new (apart from two small slits where some malicious twit knifed it...can't do much about that). And it is totally waterproof.

For grease and chewing gum: you need to find an electronivs shop. Realistic/Tandy etc. Buy a can of freezer. It is hard to come by nowadays as it contains freon (bad for the ozone). It's used to freeze board components in an aid to showing up faulty ones. Spray the freezer on the grease or gum and spray loads of it on. Let it go rock hard and scrape as much off carefully with a knife or similar sharp item. I have even used a razor blade but be very careful with this. You will find find the grease will come off easily. Chewing gum is a bit harder. Do not scrape. You may have to do this several times and may have to even use a sewing needle to get the fine bits out. Then finally, use a high grade industrial detergent agent on a bit of cloth and dab it not rub it to remove any final staining.

For everything else, and after using the freezer for the above, use AutoGlym fabric hood cleaner. Give it a good saoking (real wet like) and leave over night. Best to put some plastic sheeting over the roof and turn up the heating in the garage. Make it sweat. Leave for a day or two. You may have to repeat this. Then go over the whole roof with Autoglym protector.

Like I said it has always worked for me.

Just one thing, I have a black hood top. So not sure of the effects of all this on anything light like gray.