Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2012 Boxster-S Black Edition: Dynamic Cornering Headlight Failure after Replacing Battery

2012 Boxster-S Black Edition (VIN WP0CB2A83CS799093)

After I replaced a dead battery, a "Dynamic Cornering Light Failure" showed up on the dash. The low and high beam lights work fine. When cornering, the lights do swivel, so this seems fine to me.

I took it to my local mechanic, where his diagnostic showed a C127 code. He was unable to clear it and told me the Headlight Control Module (99761851101) may need to be replaced. He said he's unable to do that because the HCM can only be programmed at the Porsche dealership. 😞   I prefer to get my auto work done at a local shop.

My questions are:

1) Can changing the battery really cause a Headlight Control Module to fail?

2) If the HCM is not really the issue (headlights work and do swivel when cornering), is there a way to clear the message? The intermittent "chiming" is annoying.

3) If it is the HCM, is my only option to get it replaced/flashed at Porsche dealership?

4) If not the HCM, what else could the issue be?

• Moderators

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

The control module may have just "lost" its configuration during the battery swap, and now needs reprogramming rather than replacing.  Find a shop with a PIWIS system and they can do it for you.  And yes, only a PIWIS will do it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just following up. I went to a local shop, that I had used 3 yrs ago to replace a shifter cable. He did not have a PIWIS system, but said if he could see the code, he could probably clear it. He was able to clear the C127 code, which cleared the "Dynamic Cornering Light Failure" bogus error message. It took him all of 5 mins to complete this. Instead of paying $200+ at a Porsche dealer (just to diagnose, not fix), he only asked for $40 when I insisted on paying him. Local shops are the way to go.