Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

cigarette lighter light

Hello everyone.

Hope all is well.

I just replaced my central dash console today. When I took the cigarette lighter out I noted there was a small light. I dont know if this is working now. The dash lights up as normal but the lighter surround does not. I think it lights up when the lighter is hot but it is quite faint.

Am I right? If so then it must be working OK. If not then I may need a new bulb. The lighter heats up fine.

Thanks for any help with this.

• Moderators

Never thought someone would ask a question about that bulb. Did you put it back on properly.

Take it out and see if the filament is broken. Or, check it with an ohm meter.

I replaced mine when it burned out. You cannot just replace the bulb as it is part of the holder. The only place I know who sells it is Porsche. Jeff

bulb_lighter.sized.jpg

The filament looks intact. This is a dim question but could the bulb still have burnt out?

I cant see how it works either. It is shut in a green cover with a white cylinder over it. Is this what you guys have?

Isn't it funny-I never thought I would be writing this sort of stuff on the internet when I bought my Porsche!!!

Thanks Don.

I like your mod but I do have a real problem. My mind likes symmetry, so much so that I was thinking of replacing the 2 dummy inserts with real switches (non-functional) to make the console balance. If I were to close off the cigarette lighter (I don't smoke being medical!) I'm sure that my driving would suffer because of the bad feng-shui

post-2-1066565733.gif

Edited by netrophile

Also, you might want to double check that all the metal connectors are making contact.  Sometimes when you remove the lighter unit and light the metal contact can bend.

Thanks!

I took everything out again and tested with a ohm meter. The bulb worked fine. When I reconnected it worked again-must have been a contact issue. :D