Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone seen this local 996

Bling is so different. Have your car looking good is one thing, but to "rice" is up to something it isn't is another story. For example, chrome wheels are bling, but stickers from sponsors that DO NOT sponsor you and claiming your car is something it IS NOT is ricer.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bling is so different.  Have your car looking good is one thing, but to "rice" is up to something it isn't is another story.  For example, chrome wheels are bling, but stickers from sponsors that DO NOT sponsor you and claiming your car is something it IS NOT is ricer.

Hmmm good point. But on the ohter hand, how many of us all have had tire company stickers, ect ect on cars? I never asked him if he runs PRC or anything, just did a rally with him, and he didnt strike me as ricer...... Just hate that word ricer.... :cheers:

Hate the word as well. I can honestly say that I have NEVER stickered any of my cars. NOt even a small one. The most I have done is the chrome longhorn on my mercedes to pay honor to my alma matter. Hook em!

• Moderators

Maybe the owner can get some of his sticker "Sponsors" to pay for getting the car repaired. But since we are jumping on this poor chap with both feet because of his ricey tendencies, I might recommend that he approach "Uncle Ben's " as a sticker Sponsor. or perhaps that San Francisco Treat - ......

No mercy :thumbup:

• 4 months later...

Any advertising is GOOD advertising.. I remember ... when I was 18, I bought a Morris Cooper S from a bunch of racers, no heating, plastic side windows, Speedwell exhaust down the middle. I plastered big round white racing numbers on the doors and ...off I went. I had fun, could not care about any body else .. pulled the chicks for sure... advertising is GOOD.

Ohh yes... blew the engine twice and the gear box 3 times... I still have a smile on my face....luckily I am only 5 ft 8 ... otherwise would have missed lots of fun in the back seat too....

Merry Christmas and a Happy to all the Porsche maniacs out there !!

Any advertising is GOOD advertising.. I remember ... when I was 18, I bought a Morris Cooper S from a bunch of racers, no heating, plastic side windows, Speedwell exhaust down the middle. I plastered big round white racing numbers on the doors and ...off I went. I had fun, could not care about any body else .. pulled the chicks for sure... advertising is GOOD.

Ohh yes... blew the engine twice and the gear box 3 times... I still have a smile on my face....luckily I am only 5 ft 8 ... otherwise would have missed lots of fun in the back seat too....

Merry Christmas and a Happy to all the Porsche maniacs out there !!

Cant agree more, I also started with a Mini Cooper, no advertising but the back seat worked a treat. Lucky our first cars were not 996's, would have missed out on lots of fun or ended up with permanent back problems.

Edited by rattles

so did he do a full 3.8 coversion, or just stroke the motor? any more info on the car.. Is he back to driving it everyday?

BTW I do own a TRG built car (RSR carbon fiber fenders, bumpers and all) and it's a driver for the street then the track... but I call it my RSRWNAB

post-8426-1136237057_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

What I was told it that it is a 1999 C4 with a bad engine and it was being sent to Florida for a 3.8 engine transplant used on a 997 S. Then it showed up again months later at my local dealer with the owner, and the shop foreman took it for a drive. They were taking about how hard it was to get the new engine to work on the 1999 but I was not paying much attention.

I know the owner but have no email and he is not on the message boards. I will see if I can get him on renntech.org for the details.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to the Porsche world but I own a 996 C2, Audi S4 and previously owned many japanese imports with many jdm parts and I 'm in the process of building a 94 Honda civic vx hatch with a Acura/Honda K20A2 2.0 engine fully built. I am in the import performance business and have always found the term "rice" only apply to "Fast & Furious" fans with cosmetic and sound enhancements as the primary gold. Besides "ricey" is an insult targeting japanese import fans not german or domestic built cars. We would be called "sour krauters" :D .

By the way what front spoiler is on that guys GT3 bumper?

I am new to the Porsche world but I own a 996 C2, Audi S4 and previously owned many japanese imports with many jdm parts and I 'm in the process of building a 94 Honda civic vx hatch with a Acura/Honda K20A2 2.0 engine fully built. I am in the import performance business and have always found the term "rice" only apply to "Fast & Furious" fans with cosmetic and sound enhancements as the primary gold. Besides "ricey" is an insult targeting japanese import fans not german or domestic built cars. We would be called "sour krauters" :D .

By the way what front spoiler is on that guys GT3 bumper?

"Ricer" is now a universal term for poser, from the guys with domestic cars posing with Skyline GTR badges, and Japanese script on their cars, to the dimwits who ignorantly remove their enitre exhaust from a NA car and put $20 canisters on it, and cannot figure out why they always loose. 648FWHP 93 Daytona IROC R/T with 400lb. weight reduction, 480FWHP 02 Stillen Built Altima, and a 95 200 SE-R with built SR20 (4CFED4), 3" plumbing piggy back intercoolers, feeding a Disco Potato. Y-M-C-A. . . . . So if you see a car sporting lighted premium sport racing exhaust tips from Auto Zone. Think Ricer!

But really I think his car looks good if it is a racer. He should replace the misprints, but other than that it looks pretty sharp and I don't see NO2 stickers all over it so it can't be that bad.?.

Lastly I second Zthis's Q. Where can I get a lip like that for my Baby!?!

"Ricer" is now a universal term for poser,

No it isn't. As far as I understand it it is only used in the US. If I called someone a ricer in the UK he would look at me very strange. I still don't understand it fully, but from what I have read the interpretation infers a young rapp loving yob with baseball cap and hood sitting in a very low position in a very cheap car modified to such an extent that it no longer looks like a car. Oh, and it has a gazillion watt stero system and 23 LCD TV screens, a toaster and 802.11 wifi LAN to boot.

Personally, I think we are all posers in our flash porkers. IMO that car looks very tastefull and if I had the dosh I would pose it up just the same. One day I hope to have enough guts and cash to SC my 996 and that is purely for posing purposes ;)

• 2 months later...