Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

hello, i have a 996 C2 model 1998.

when i start the engine the oil pressure reads 3 and when the engine is warmed up it starts dropping until it reads about 0.5 and sometimes almost 0 then the oil pressure warning light lights and it goes off on higher rpm (im talkin about over 1000 rpm),on 5000 rpm it read 3.5 bar,there is no voice might indicate that im having a crank failure,but the engine shakes up the whole car on high rpms,i checked on the exhaust system and found nothing wrong with it,can any1 plz help and tell me what i might be facing here...

thank you all.

First of all, shut the engine OFF. Could be low on oil, bad oil sending unit or connections, bad pump, faulty gauge, bad oil pickup, etc. I would first confirm you have the right level of oil. (I aso hope you have not been running 0w40 if you live in hotter climates). If oil level is correct and all systems are operating as designed, your pressure should be at 5 bar on cold startup and idle and slowly drop to no less than 1.5 bar on a hot engine. It should always be above 4 bar when engine is at or above 3000 rpm's, hot or cold.

Is you engine "ticking" while running? Have you changed the oil filter lately? The shaking of the car at higher rpm's may indicate internal damage to bearings, putting moving parts out of balance. Is the shaking while you are in gear and moving, idle, or both? I can't believe and internal bearing would go without some prior indication of a problems. How long have you drivien the car with this low oil pressure? Any oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil?

Alot of questions for alot of possible causes.

If it was me and I would put a mechanical oil pressure gauge inline on an oil line and read the real pressure to confirm whether it is a reporting problem or an actual pressure loss. If the inline gauge reads normal, replace sending unit. If the reading was low and the oil level was correct, I would swap out the filter for a new one and test again. I would then put in a heavier oil to see if pressure reading changes. A pressure change would indicate exessive wear in the pump or engine bearings or pickup tube. I would remove the oil pan and check for cracks in the pickup tube and exchanger. Many things you can check before going to the expense of tearing the engine apart.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

Yes i have the right level of oil,i changed it 2 days ago,and i am using 0w40 its not that hot in my country, the engine is not "ticking" at all its sound is very normal and i did change the oil filter,the shaking is in both,while im in gear moving and while im idle but it goes stronger when i go on higher rpms..

this problem happened just out of nothing,i was driving and suddenly i felt there was something wrong,the car started to shake while moving (which u can feel now in the cluth and the fuel pedals when u start moving slowly),then the oil pressure warning light went on,i took the car to the dealer,they said the shaking is from the exhaust system,i changed it with new supersprint exhaust system,and the car is still shaking,and about the oil,they just dont know ...they are really stupid over here....

about the oil in coolant,no there is no mixing not in both....

im almost sure its the oil pump,but what im really worried about is the shaking thing...could it some how be the engine mountains?

thank you again.

Well, if your oil gauge is reading accurately, you have a problems. However, I would first confirm that it is before looking at any other problems. Viabration could be many things including flywheel, shaft or broken motor mount. A bad oil pump would not cause vibration, but the result of a bad oil pump could cause internal damage that would.

Edited by 1999Porsche911