Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

When I first got my '03 cab, the hardtop would groan every time I went up & down a driveway at an angle; sometimes over bumps on the road. Stopped by the dealer to verify it was installed correctly--it was.

Based on recommendations from a Porsche Club tech guy, I bought a can of Wurth's PTFE dry lubricant and sprayed the front seals (front hardtop seal & windscreen frame seal where they meet) and also sprayed the rear "felt" seal that contacts the paint. Groaning gone. I do it every year now when I install the hardtop. One application ususally lasts the season.

Mine has the same gap. Just make sure you turn the installation key until it "clunks" or snaps into place.

Edited by RF5BPilot

Do you have to use the hardtop installation key? I have a hard top ordered and do not have a key but heard that you can use a regular allen wrench....is that true?

Yes, that would work, although I would just purchase the tool from the dealership (can't be that expensive). It's pretty hefty, and provides a lot of leverage, which you'll need to lock that baby into place. A regular, cheap allen wrench may bend...

Purchased a used hardtop for my 03 cab and put it on the car last weekend after getting it painted to match. The top groans from the rear when I drive over rough roads, also, on one side in the rear, I can slide my pinky between the top and the car. I'm wondering if it is fitted properly. How tight should this thing fit?

There are two Porsche part small plastic sleves or guides which fit into the openings where the top pins go. They also are said to help protect the fabric below from rub damage. I learned this when I bought a used hard top for my 2002 C4 Cab and asked at the dealership what additional parts I might need to properly mount the hard top.

While my hard top does not mount exactly flush it does not "groan". I also was told that the top mounting pins can be adjusted but no adjustment was required for the used hard top I bought.

Hope this information helps.

Edited by fhegner6566

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
There is a 14 page TSB with fixes for a number of hardtop noises. I can email you this if you want or you could make your dealer fix it (since you are under warranty).

Loren...could you please send me this TSB?

Thanks

You are a Contributing Member and can view that TSB here online.

You want TSB 7/01 6102 Noises in the Hardtop -- dated Mar 22, 2002.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...load&id=116

I would love to see the link thanks

• Admin
There is a 14 page TSB with fixes for a number of hardtop noises. I can email you this if you want or you could make your dealer fix it (since you are under warranty).

Loren...could you please send me this TSB?

Thanks

You are a Contributing Member and can view that TSB here online.

You want TSB 7/01 6102 Noises in the Hardtop -- dated Mar 22, 2002.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...load&id=116

I would love to see the link thanks

You need to be a Contributing Member to view TSBs here.

How to become a Contributing Member