Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) Install

Just a quick tip on the install as I have just completed mine. A 13mm 3/8s intermediate length socket makes quick work of the two front (of the three) mounting bolts. I got mine at Sears. A double extension is still the best for the back bolt. Also if you are having trouble lining up the tail pipes after the PSE is in try starting the car for 10-20 seconds. The heat helps free the C clamp. What a great sound!

• 3 years later...

Is there a metric equivalent of the torque settings described above by Loren - I am having my exhaust fitted in Spain and I am not sure the guys will understand lb/ft ..............

I edited my first post and added the metric Nm values so you can go back and check it now.

You can also convert and foot pound setting with: 0.7376 * NM = FT/LBS.

Hello, new to the forum here- lots of great info! I wanted to clarify the torque specs per the install guide you posted. Should all 5 (M8) nuts be torqued to 22 fl lbs (3 that hold muffler bracket and 2 that attach muffler to bracket)? I was not sure as there was mention of the muffler bracket being torqued to 17 ft lbs., or is this referring to the actual bracket with 4 bolts that attaches to the vehicle? Thanks!

I think I answered my own question, but wanted to confirm (I was confused as the intall guide says to "tighten down all of the nuts and the tailpipe 22 ftlb.", so I thought all should be 22 ftlb., guess a comma was implied)..

All 5 M8 nuts should be torqued to 17 ftlb.(3 that attach muffler bracket and 2 that attach muffler to the bracket)

Tailpipe clamp 22

Cat sleeve 34

Correct?

Thanks again!

• Admin

I think I answered my own question, but wanted to confirm (I was confused as the intall guide says to "tighten down all of the nuts and the tailpipe 22 ftlb.", so I thought all should be 22 ftlb., guess a comma was implied)..

All 5 M8 nuts should be torqued to 17 ftlb.(3 that attach muffler bracket and 2 that attach muffler to the bracket)

Tailpipe clamp 22

Cat sleeve 34

Correct?

Thanks again!

I updated the DIY Tutorial to be more clear. It now says "The tailpipe 22 ftlb. (30 Nm ), cat sleeve 34 ftlb. (46 Nm), and the muffler bracket 17 ftlb. (23 Nm)."

• Upvote 1

Can someone help me please. Installing the exhausts is no problem. I need to know where to run the wiring to??? I have searched the forum but can only see install for the exhausts. Someone please PM he full instructions. I have a gen 2 pdk 3.6. Thanks.

Tailpipe clamp 22

Cat sleeve 34

Correct?

Thanks again!

I updated the DIY Tutorial to be more clear. It now says "The tailpipe 22 ftlb. (30 Nm ), cat sleeve 34 ftlb. (46 Nm), and the muffler bracket 17 ftlb. (23 Nm)."

Thanks, crystal clear now! I assumed that the two longer bolt / nut combo which attach the muffler to the bracket are also to be torqued to 17 ftlb. since they use the same nuts...

• 8 months later...
  • Admin

Hi

I am thinking of getting a PSE from a breakers yard and I would like to do a full install. Could somebody send me the other details of what is required to do the full install, a parts list would be great.

thanks

Graham

That information is available in a Porsche TSB - all TSBs are available here to view for our Contributing Members.

• 3 months later...
  • Admin

One more question (for now): Will I have any fitment issues if I want to reuse my stock MY01 tips? Thanks again.

No, those should work fine too.

Follow my instructions about mounting and alignment - and align then tighten all down.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a MY03 set of PSE mufflers with 31K miles. Almost new condition. Easy install with the DIY instructions. The mufflers I got came with tips, but the MY03 tips are too long and low for a MY01 IMHO. I ended up using some Tubi tips I picked up on ebay, which look great. The sound is, of course, perfect.

• Admin

I picked up a MY03 set of PSE mufflers with 31K miles. Almost new condition. Easy install with the DIY instructions. The mufflers I got came with tips, but the MY03 tips are too long and low for a MY01 IMHO. I ended up using some Tubi tips I picked up on ebay, which look great. The sound is, of course, perfect.

Photos? :clapping:

Photos? :clapping:

post-82817-0-02091900-1369479843_thumb.j

post-82817-0-38194000-1369479952_thumb.j

post-82817-0-75949800-1369479955_thumb.j

Edited by 1dmurrray

• 4 months later...

I got my mufflers out, now I'm trying to remove the tailpipes. The nut/bolt on the is clamp loose, but the clamp is still very tight, and I can't get anything to budge. It looks like the clamp is supposed to spring open once the nut is loose, but mine is so rusted, nothing has moved. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

• Admin

I got my mufflers out, now I'm trying to remove the tailpipes. The nut/bolt on the is clamp loose, but the clamp is still very tight, and I can't get anything to budge. It looks like the clamp is supposed to spring open once the nut is loose, but mine is so rusted, nothing has moved. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Carefully spread the clamp until you can remove the tailpipe.

When you re-install them you will likely have to lever them on. A real tight fit.

Carefully spread the clamp until you can remove the tailpipe.

When you re-install them you will likely have to lever them on. A real tight fit.

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm not quite sure how to spread it. It's hard to get at, what I've tried so far is using a long flat screwdriver as a wedge. I can get that in between the clamp and tap on it with a mallet. I've given it some hard hits and it will wedge itself further in, but the clamp doesn't seem to be spreading at all. Probably should have mentioned that in my original post.

• 3 months later...

Loren -this DIY was very helpful on my 996. Do you know if the torque specs changed for the 997? I noticed the 997 cat sleeve has a redesigned bolt/nut combo (nuts are now 13mm)? Any assistance would be appreciated! thanks

• Admin

Loren -this DIY was very helpful on my 996. Do you know if the torque specs changed for the 997? I noticed the 997 cat sleeve has a redesigned bolt/nut combo (nuts are now 13mm)? Any assistance would be appreciated! thanks

The only change for 997-1 is the tailpipe goes to 17 ftlb.