Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

30,000 mi. Service

Maybe I'm missing something.

The 30,000mi. service is an oil change, filter change, inspect, inspect, inspect type of thing right?

I was going to take the car to South Shore Porsche on Long Island to have the car given a thorough once-over since I bought it used. I cannot believe what they're getting for the service:

$1609 plus tax.

I have to be missing something. The service manager didn't even mention a complimentry bottle of K-Y or a happy ending. I'm thinking I can do this in 3 hours taking my time and for about a max of $300 in parts. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,

STS

Do it yourself. It's easy and it will cost you a few bucks in parts and you'll get to know your car. They charge an additional $135 for the K-Y. Better to pick up a few tubes at Walgreens if you take the car to the dealer. Frankly, the 30,000 mile service is overrated and unecessary. Don't let the dealer or anyone else scare you into thinking that this is some special car that need extraordinary care.....because it does not and is like most any other car (as far as maintenance) that you find on the road.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

FYI, I just completed the 15K service on my GT3. I did the oil change+filter ($60 with Mobil-1), air filter and particle filters (another $50). I then took the car to the local Porsche dealer (Carlson in Redwood City), and asked them to do the inspections required at 15K (they charged $103 and were very courteous and helpful). Total (not including the work I did which I do for pleasure) was $213. Very reasonable in my opinion.

That's a great idea, I was thinking of doing the following:

Change oil and filter

Change the particle filter

It's an '00, so I would like to change the belts as well.

Then I could take it to the dealer and have them grease the joints and check things like the bushings, etc.

I had a CEL go off on me, but I cleaned the MAF and it (knock wood) hasn't come back on.

I would think that it shouldn't cost more than $200 for peace of mind. I know the tech who's going to be working on the car, so it would be a social thing to go, see him, have him do the stuff I couldn't do easily since I don't have a lift, etc...

Thanks again for letting me sound out... Thought $1609 was insane, unless I missed a step like "Grind up diamonds and coat underside of car with the dust"

Regards,

STS