Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

baby seat in a 996

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I'm ecstatic for finally finding so much info (and photos) about this topic.

I'm on the virge of NOT buying a 996 Coupe Turbo for the only reason that it can't transport my 3yr old and 1,5yr old kids. It's only for small trips on weekends, but it's important...

I've always known (and photos on this post prove) that a child can sit in confort and security behind the passenger seat.

The problem is that one of them is going to have to ride behing me and I'm tall. For my correct driving position the drivers seat is locked almost in the end of the rail.

Can you "see" a 2 yr old seated behind it ? Will there be space for her legs ? What childseat should I buy ?

Thanks in advance :renntech:

here's our infant seat...it has a sticker/picture of how to use it in the back seat if you don't have the air bag deactivator. It faces toward the rear of the car in the back seat and uses the lap belt across the childs legs and the shoulder harness goes through a loop on the back of the child seat.

Bought it from a friend....has Porsche logos on it.

post-7751-1184729717_thumb.jpg

Hello!

I'm ecstatic for finally finding so much info (and photos) about this topic.

I'm on the virge of NOT buying a 996 Coupe Turbo for the only reason that it can't transport my 3yr old and 1,5yr old kids. It's only for small trips on weekends, but it's important...

I've always known (and photos on this post prove) that a child can sit in confort and security behind the passenger seat.

The problem is that one of them is going to have to ride behing me and I'm tall. For my correct driving position the drivers seat is locked almost in the end of the rail.

Can you "see" a 2 yr old seated behind it ? Will there be space for her legs ? What childseat should I buy ?

Thanks in advance :renntech:

I don't know if there is a more suitable alternative than the Porsche Junior seat, though I'm interested in the black child seat that I saw in the back of the cabriolet in an earlier post. I can't give you a really good answer because I have a cabriolet, and I think the rear seats are a little less spacious in the cabriolet than in a coupe. In our cab, it's not even possible to put the driver or passenger seat all the way back with the junior seat in the back unless the driver's seat-back is sitting straight up. The furthest you can practically go straight back (with a minimum amount of reclining) is at most about 80% back, but no guarantees that your child won't feel a little claustrophobic. I am 6' tall and I move my seat up about 10% from my normal position to accomodate my 3-yr-old when seated behind me. You can 'delete' the lower center console to give your legs a little more room if you have to move up. I've added a few pics here (sorry for the trash on the floor and low quality, this was a quick job), which show the drivers seat moved all the way back and the seat-back positioned straight up to allow it to go back without hitting the child seat, just so you can see that it's not really practical. If you'd like more pics, let me know, but I think it would be more helpful to see pics of this seating position in coupes.

post-8562-1184741372_thumb.jpg

post-8562-1184741383_thumb.jpg

I don't know if there is a more suitable alternative than the Porsche Junior seat, though I'm interested in the black child seat that I saw in the back of the cabriolet in an earlier post. I can't give you a really good answer because I have a cabriolet, and I think the rear seats are a little less spacious in the cabriolet than in a coupe. In our cab, it's not even possible to put the driver or passenger seat all the way back with the junior seat in the back unless the driver's seat-back is sitting straight up. The furthest you can practically go straight back (with a minimum amount of reclining) is at most about 80% back, but no guarantees that your child won't feel a little claustrophobic. I am 6' tall and I move my seat up about 10% from my normal position to accomodate my 3-yr-old when seated behind me. You can 'delete' the lower center console to give your legs a little more room if you have to move up. I've added a few pics here (sorry for the trash on the floor and low quality, this was a quick job), which show the drivers seat moved all the way back and the seat-back positioned straight up to allow it to go back without hitting the child seat, just so you can see that it's not really practical. If you'd like more pics, let me know, but I think it would be more helpful to see pics of this seating position in coupes.

Your post couldn't have been more helpful. And thank you for the pics too.

I'm 1.87m tall (that's 6.13 ft). Your second photo shows clearly that, although I could live with a chair installed behind my seat, the kid in it wouldn't be able to put her feet anywhere. Specially if one takes in to account that a kid (any kid), when seated in such a chair, can never reach the floor.

In the 996, even if the feet were to reach the floor, there would be no space for the knees.

Your brilliant second photo also shows where the passenger seat has to be to allow enough room. This confirms my theory that the older kid could sit behind my wife properly.

This also shows that a cabrio, while stealing a fiew extra cm/ft of space in the back, allows a much more convenient way of inserting and removing the kid(s). At least when it's not rainning... :P

I'm now left with two options -- forget I have kids and buy the car anyway, or forget I love sports cars and go for the cayenne, its mega weight and its high(er) center of gravity.

Thanks again.

Perhaps this is not the response you are looking for, but allow me to present my opinion anyways. I used to have a 2 seater sports car (BMW M Coupe) and sold it because I wanted a more 'practical family car', so I got the 996 instead (albeit, not a cabrio). I have identical twin boys (4.5 years of age, 33lbs). I tried putting their Britax Roundabout car seats in there and truth be told, in order to give them enought legroom, I had to push my seat too far foward for my liking (I am 6' tall). In went the cushion booster seats. Result: the seatblets still crossed them at a dangerous angle (think decapitation). If we take trips that last more than 45 minutes, the boys will fall asleep and they eventually crouch upon each other over the transmission tunnel. This makes the wife very angry, especially when she sees how close they really are to the hard backs of my sport seats. Net result, yes, the 996 is more practical than a Boxster, but don´t think for a second that its a family cars where car seats fit perfectly fine. I believe I will soon sell my car and end up getting something else I had considered previously that will make life a tad easier and much safer for my kids (M5, Evo/STi, Cayenne, etc).

• 3 weeks later...

We found an well fitting and very inexpensive booster seat solution. It is made by Nania, which is a European car seat company. The model is the High Ride Booster Seat, which despite the name is a basic backless booster seat. It fits in the back of my 2002 C4 Cab perfectly, with a cutout for the seatbelt buckle that is ideally placed.

It can be found at: Family On Board

Unfortunately, we would have preferred the blue/white fabric pictured on the site. What we received was a multi-colored plaid, which while not 100% to my liking isn't completely offensive. Since we paid $24 each (for my 4 and 6 year olds), I am keeping them because they fit so well.

Well, after much much thought and consideration, (and even after talking with my wife), I've come to the conclusion that the Porsche will be bought anyway. :drive:

This post was very important to sort things out in my head.

I'll even buy the recommend booster steats and all, but if the kids don't fit -- they don't. Either they'll stay with their grand parents or we'll take my wifes "people carrier".

I already own a very fast five seats estate and I'm selling it (to buy the porsche) because, dispite of the big engine, it's not a sports car, it doesn't have the driver involment it should, it doesn't talk to me like I'ld like, it's too soft, it's just fast and that's it.

And M3 or Evo or STI or Audi RS4 sure are way more sporty than my current car but they're still bigger, higher, and more "boy-racer" looking than they should. Also, the horse power competition seems to never end. A sports car is so much more than an engine -- ask Lotus.

Thanks again

....er... anyone wanting to sell a 996 turbo coupe ? anyone ? eheheheh....

• 1 month later...

does anyone have any pics of a britax roundabout car seat installed in there car. I recently purchased a '02 C4S and we are both quite tall and i'd rather make the right purchase the first time around. We have an 18 mth old daugther that weighs 25lbs and want to make the right decision.....any other sugestions ..thxs

• 4 years later...