Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor)

OK, I've got the new MAF in there. What's the best way to get the old bad settings out of the computer? Just drive it a while at all throttle/load scenarios, or unplug the negative of the battery for 5 mins, then drive at all throttle/load scenarios?

Tom

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the info guys! I just follwed suit, and replaced the MAF (& air filter), due to erratic idle (mostly of a high/racing nature), and CE light. I got the parts through Partsbin, and they fit like a glove and did the trick...For the most part...Now, my idle is lower, and dives upon coming to a stop with the clutch in. The car has even stalled several times. Any ideas? It's a '97, 2.5 with high miles...Thanks again!

• 8 months later...

The URL to thepartbins.com for these two MAF's is:

http://www.carpartsteam.com/PO_Boxster_Air...+Meter_019.html

and the one: Air Mass Meter 996 606 124 00, has the price of $400

and this one: Air Mass Meter B3130-116456 has the price of $159.

I believe that Dave bought his for around $180? Is this the same as the second part ($159)?

Mine is 2000 year model, so I can replace it with the newer MAF? Thanks

• Moderators

There is no way to tell what is being sold for $159 since it is not a Bosch or Porsche part number - must be an aftermarket number. You might want to ask Dave or Mark what number was shown on their purchase invoice.

Dave and Mark have a 2.5 (1997-1999) which is not e-gas and there is just one sensor for the 2.5.

2000 up is e-gas and there are 3 versions of the sensor for an e-gas car. You cannot just swap any e-gas sensor with another version of the e-gas sensor since the car computer has to be programed for the sensor being put in the car if it is not the original version. And even with a direct swap of identical versions of the sensor there may be idle problems. I hope to get a newer bulletin to find out what is going on.

Search under porscheneer name since he is going through this now.

Update.

The 2001 bulletin replace the 2000 bulletin. Peter gave me a copy of the 2001 bulletin. The only difference is that certain things must be done if a new style e-gas sensor is replaced. Porsche wants an OBDII report and the repair order. Then the dealer is to replace the filter and send it back to Porsche with the sensor that was replaced to the warranty test center in Atlanta.

Edited by Tool Pants

Mine part number of the MAF is 996 606 124 00 which I believe is 2.7/3.2 old style sensor. However, I removed it, cleaned it and put it back. Removed the battery connection for 5 minutes, plugged it back in. The Engine light is off now. I'll call the partbin.com on Monday to see what the cheaper price unit is and whether I can use that if the light comes back on.

However, now I have another problem, the radio code did not work for some reason even that is the code on the card that comes with the car. Now the radio has the "WAIT" display and does not take on any code, what can I do? THanks,

• Moderators

You have the first version of the sensor that was used until January 31, 2000, so your car must have been made before then.

WAIT is covered in the radio manual. You either entered the wrong code or you have the wrong code card. Did you buy the car used? A lot of the early 220 radios were replaced due to peeling buttons, and you may not have the original radio that goes with your code card.

You can display the radio serial number on the face plate and see if it matches the serial number on the card.

Guys & Gals:

Just called ThePartsBin and was quoted $300.80 for a '98 Air Mass Meter (MAF). Porsche #996.606.123.00. Do I have the right one? He said there was another one that costs more than $400 and requires re-calibration.

I read the earlier threads and know there was some confusion as to which one the '98 takes. From what I understand, the '98 does not need to be re-calibrated. What happened to the $189 price?

Thanks... Nader

• Moderators

Parts Bin must have figured out something. When I checked a few months ago the $189 sensor became $245 and now they want $300. Too many people reading this thread. You might give Sunset Imports in Oregon a call. Mark said they wanted $245 but Porsche has recently raised prices.

They gave you the correct part number for a 2.5. There has only been one version of the 2.5 sensor. It is a straight swap and no calibration is needed.

• Moderators

For the local guys.

Tim Benson at FastLane Porsche has said he will do another tech session.

He has a PST2. I need to set the date with Tim.

On the first tech sesion, at Tim's place, years ago, was set up because a guy from Monterey said the San Jose group did not go over the hill for events.

So, I set something up there and the guy does not show. But there were 20 other Boxsters.

post-24-1094097282_thumb.jpg

I'll be at the next tech session; where do yo post the date?

Also, I figured I'll be the ginny pig and order from www.carpartsteam.com even though I could not get them on the phone and Nat mentioned that the site is not secured. I ordered the $159 MAF (Bosch Air Mass Meter# B3130-70627) and filter for $23. I received an email confirming my order and am supposed to receive tracking numbers by tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted :unsure:

Nader

"You have the first version of the sensor that was used until January 31, 2000, so your car must have been made before then."

My car is 2000 year model, but might have been made before then.

"WAIT is covered in the radio manual. You either entered the wrong code or you have the wrong code card. Did you buy the car used? A lot of the early 220 radios were replaced due to peeling buttons, and you may not have the original radio that goes with your code card."

I called the dealer and they said to disconnect the radio for 20minutes and then try again, otherwise, call them back with the VIN and the serial number of the radio as you said can be display on the front display using one of the buttons. Thanks for your help.

Also, to save someone some problem figuring out how to clean the MAF, I happened to have one of those "Electronic Contact Cleaner" from GCC that says "does not harm plastic", and I used that to spray my original MAF and left it soaked for about 2 mins but I did not touch the part that looks like a diode. Then I used the Computer Air spray to spray it clean. It seems to work so far, no engine light back yet.

Ok, update on the MAF for $159. I still can't get a hold of the company but the tracking number they supplied seems to track something that is arriving on Thursday. I'll keep you all posted.

On a side note, changed my front rotors and pads on Saturday... very easy job :beer:

Nader

Update. As I am waiting for UPS to arrive with my new MAF sensor and filter, I thought I would remove the old one. Of course, I just realized that I do not have the right screw bit to remove the 2 screws holding in the sensor. Anyone local, San Mateo, have this bit?? Thanks in advance.

Nader