Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cruise control

C17-->Blue

B7-->Black (this wire is thinner than the others)

C4--Yellow

C1-->Brown/Yellow

These colours look right to me. At least, those are the colours of the wires shown on the circuit diagram between the cluster and the connector. The colours of the wires within the stalk aren't shown on the diagrams, but I do know the switch has one black and one white wire attached. I think you can assume that the wiring is correct. Maybe the DME needs coding for the Order Type, as I suggested to Loren, but I am guessing now.

Sorry Loren - I didn't think carefully enough - it must have been the right order type otherwise the OBC wouldn't work. I can't think why the coding option doesn't appear on Charlie's. The 986 Diagnosis Manual shows it should be there.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Well, bummer! I'd really been hoping to find I'd done something dumb on the wiring side. Actually I still need to check to see that the B7 is getting power, but I doubt this is the problem.

Thanks anyway everyone for your help, especially Loren.

• Admin
Well, bummer! I'd really been hoping to find I'd done something dumb on the wiring side. Actually I still need to check to see that the B7 is getting power, but I doubt this is the problem.

Thanks anyway everyone for your help, especially Loren.

Next time I am up your way (or you are down here) I'll put the PST2 on it again and see if we can find the cluster setting. Sorry, I didn't find it the first time.

Loren and I got together this afternoon...SUCCESS! The timing couldn't be better, since we are about to go on about a 2,000 mile road trip. :)

Turned out it was the additional cluster setting, which was hidden further down a menu.

Thanks Loren! I think this is the first left-hand drive '03-'04 car to enable this hack?

• Admin
Loren and I got together this afternoon...SUCCESS! The timing couldn't be better, since we are about to go on about a 2,000 mile road trip. :)

Turned out it was the additional cluster setting, which was hidden further down a menu.

Thanks Loren! I think this is the first left-hand drive '03-'04 car to enable this hack?

I feel dumb for missing this the first time... :oops:

The good news is that it works now... :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I did the cruise/obc install this weekend and it all went pretty well. I hope to do a more detailed write up but while it is fresh in my mind I thought I'd mention a few things people might want to consider in anticipation of doing this hack, no rocket science here, just some notes on things that held me up a little.

1. When removing the airbag (after disconnecting the battery of course) you need a T30 torx, the trick is getting to it though. It's easier with the cluster out but even then space is limited. Some screwdriver style torx drivers may be too long, take a look at where the screws are and plan appropriately. I ended up with a combination of bits as my torx bits are part of a socket set and "holder" would not reach in to the hole where the screw is.
  2. To get behind the fuse box remove the cover then take out four screws, this will release the carpet panel covering the fuse box area. The fuse box is clipped to a plastic mounting bracket but it's a pain to unclip it, haf way down the side nearest to the door there is a screw, remove it and the whole assembly will come off, you can then easily take the panel off the bracket.
  3. The wiring in the wheel - it isn't complicated but take note of where it is so you know how to put it back.
  4. The top and bottom of the column covers take some wiggling to get back in to place, it isn't hard, just fiddly. Remember they attach to the outside of the stalk "box", they don't go behind it.
  5. You'll need a 24mm socket to remove the steering wheel nut, 15/16" will work at a push (thanks Charlie!). My socket sets didn't have anything this big so it's a shame to get held up half way through.
  6. When removing the cluster have some towels handy, as soon as you lift it up shove one underneath, there are sharp lugs under there that WILL mark you dash.
  7. You don't have to remove the hazard switch, once the three connectors are unhooked you can twist it round and out it on the passenger side of the dash. (on a towel)
  8. Don't drop screws under the drivers seat!!
  9. When inserting the connectors on the yellow wires into the harness there is a right way and a wrong way. Look at the harness connector, there is a slot that runs along it that will align with the "slot" in the wire connector.

Thanks to Richard, Charlie and Loren for their help as ever, if you guys have anything to add please do so!

• 2 months later...

Now, about the clutch and brake interlocks...do they need additional mods to function like factory, or is that performed through the DME? Can you help me with that? Thanks.

On all the cars I have seen the clutch switch is already in place and wired up. The brake disengage function comes from the brake light circuit.

Richard

I have a 03 Boxster S and have read just about all the posts up to this point having to do with installing cruised control in my car. I have already purchased the four stalk switch. Most of the posts talk about 2000 to 2001 cars. Is there anything different about a 2003 installation?

Thanks

Rich

Richard

I have a 03 Boxster S and have read just about all the posts up to this point having to do with installing cruised control in my car. I have already purchased the four stalk switch. Most of the posts talk about 2000 to 2001 cars. Is there anything different about a 2003 installation?

Thanks

Rich

I did the mod on my 03S, went from a 2 stalk to a 4 stalk. It's pretty straightforward, make sure you have all the wires (the 009 and 010) and assemble the harnesses in advance and you're ready to go. Make sure you have a 24mm socket for the steering wheel nut and put the connectots in (on the yellow cables) with the spring clip outwards, then you have a chance of removing them if needed and they will not short on each other.

Oh... I should mention... my car is Tiptronic so no clutch switch, not sure if that is needed or how it is done, sorry.

Chris.

Richard

Thanks

Rich

I did the mod on my 03S, went from a 2 stalk to a 4 stalk. It's pretty straightforward, make sure you have all the wires (the 009 and 010) and assemble the harnesses in advance and you're ready to go. Make sure you have a 24mm socket for the steering wheel nut and put the connectots in (on the yellow cables) with the spring clip outwards, then you have a chance of removing them if needed and they will not short on each other.

Oh... I should mention... my car is Tiptronic so no clutch switch, not sure if that is needed or how it is done, sorry.

Chris.

Chris

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me if the description of the hack posted by Ed B is correct for a 03. There is some reference about how the 03 might be different than the 02 and earlier cars. I want be be sure that Ihave all the information straight before I take my car apart again.

Thanks

Rich

Chris

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me if the description of the hack posted by Ed B is correct for a 03. There is some reference about how the 03 might be different than the 02 and earlier cars. I want be be sure that Ihave all the information straight before I take my car apart again.

Thanks

Rich

I think you'll find that in an 03 it is much, much easier than what Ed had to do. When Ed first did this he had to wire it all up back to the DME, all of that wiring is in place in newer cars which makes life much easier, here's an abbreviated list of what I did with advice and guidance from Richard, Charlie and Loren:

1. Disconnect the -ive terminal and wait 5-10 minutes.

2. Remove the airbag

3. Mark and remove the steering wheel

4. Remove the steering column cover

5. Swap the stalk set over

6. Remove the cluster and run the new wiring to the cluster connectors

7. Run the 12v cable down to the fuse box

8. Reassemble everything

Then, assuming cruise has been enabled with the PSt2 you should be all set. The main instructions I followed were the original ones for swapping the stalk set over for OBC, they are good although some of the screw sizes are off in places. My notes earlier in this thread were intended to supplement those.

What I don't know are differences in a manual gearbox, you'll need someone else to chime in on that although I suspect the DME probably knows already as there is a clutch switch already in place for starting the car, I would think it would tell from that when the clutch was depressed (or the brake). Thinking as I type... that must be the case as my cruise turns off when I brake without doing any mods.

I think if you do the same as I did you'll be all set.

Where are you located by the way? I was lucky that when I hit a couple of puzzling steps Charlie responded very quickly on the board. I'd happily share my email address, instant messenger and phone number if you wanted to have someone to call on for moral support, there's nothing worse than being in a quandary with your car in bits!

Chris.

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

i received the 4 column stalk yesterday and i think i have some kind of problem. The stalk i received does not have the covers on all four stalks, but only on the two on the left side. The two stalks on the right side have no covers. I asked my Porsche Dealer why that is so, but had no idea & could find no part numbers for the missing parts. So my question is, is that so? Do all 4 column stalks have only two of the covers? What can i do to get the missing two, or at lease the cover for the cruise control stalk? The stalk i got is the same as the one shown on the first page of this thread, of course without the yellow wiring.

trip_harness8.JPG

I intent to fit the new stalk this weekend and have it activated at my dealer the following week. I hope the fitting process is not that difficult, and i wont have to remove a lot of parts, like i did last time in order to fit my PSE!

Thanks in advance!

Nikos.

Edited by NikoS3

They are separate parts, if you search the forum you should find the numbers. I can post them later in the week when I get home but I'm sure someone will chime in before then.

If you call Sunset Porsche they'll know the numbers... they'll be cheaper too.

Chris.

Found them in an old email, for an 03 onwards the parts should be:

996.613.505.10A05 - Stalk Cap (Cruise)

996.613.507.10A05 - Stalk Cap (Wipers/Washers)

For up to 02 the part numbers are slightly different as they would then be the gloss finish.

Chris.

• 1 month later...

Hello again & Merry Christmans to everyone!!!

I fitted the 4 stalk cruise control this weekend to my 2003 ROW 996 Carrera 4 (Manual) and now every time i turn the steering wheel i hear a scratching noise (a plastic one not a metallic), that i think comes from the ESP sensor. Has this happened to anybody else? Have i fitted something wrong? The car drives normal & i have no warning lights or error messages.

I think i will have to remove the steering wheel again and see what might be wrong...

Best Regards & A Happy New Year!!! :cheers:

Nikos.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got round to fitting my 4 stalk switch into my 2004 S. Must admit it went easier than I expected. Only issues I had were: Sourcing the Torx 30 plus a long extension and getting hold of the VW wires locally. But the install was a straight forward process. Just a note of thanks to Richard (for the wiring diagrams); and for the record for the OBC on an 04 S you don't need the wire from stalk pin 6 to the cluster connector plug C (grey) as we thought. Also a note of thanks to Chris for enabling the crusie functions in the cluster and DME.

Bring on the next project.....

• 2 months later...

Hello again,

i went to my Dealer today for my first service (40.000km first major service) and what an experience that was!!! I paid 800 Euros for a plain service (spark plugs, oil & oil filter, air filter, cabin filter and one engine coil-plug)!!! No other work performed on the car!!! Anyway, i told them to code the locks so that the car locks automatically when i am on the move & also activate the cruise control! Everything seems to be ok, the green cruise control lamp goes on in the instrument cluster when i turn the ignition on, but the stalk does not work, i.e. i can not activate cruise control when i turn the engine on! I guess i have made some mistake with the wires, right? Can someone please verify that the following wiring diagrams is the correct/working one for my 2002-3 996 Carrera 4? What the dealer did was to go on the 'Instrument Cluster' tab, then 'Coding' and tick the 'With Cruise Control'. Was there something more needed, because it was the first time they had done such a thing!

Cluster --- Stalk

C17 --- Position 1

B7 Fuse --- Position 2

C4 --- Position 3

C1 --- Position 4

Thanks in advance!

Nikos.

Once again, thank you Richard for all your help!!! :thumbup:

I knew that they did something wrong...I must say that they spent at least 30 minutes trying to figure out what they should do. I tried to help them by sharing some of the information that i got from this thread so they did code the instrument cluster and the Green Cruise Control light goes on when i start up the car but that is the only thing that happens. I guess i have to pay my dealer another visit, when i find the time, and tell them to activate the DME as well in order to complete the whole process. When everything works properly i am going to laugh at their faces because they kept telling me that i messed up with the electronics & i SHOULD leave that to authorized technicians!!! :censored: :censored:

Thank you Richard for all your help!!! :cheers:

• 2 months later...

Wow, lots of info on this thread. I've very excited about adding the OBC and cruise control to my 99 boxster 2.5L manual. I'm kinda overloaded on part numbers techniques, and differences in Boxsters from country to country though. I can just see my porsche going from working to dead, ha.

Can I follow the MY2000 procedure at the beginning of the thread? What's E-gas? Finally what is the parts list needed for MY99? This is my first really nice car and I wanna keep it that way.

Your '99 2.5 does not have eGas (Electronic Throttle). Therefore retro-fitting cruise isn't as easy as shown on this thread. On 97-99 cars the cruise has a separate actuator which is mounted on the steering column, and has a cable which pulls on the pedal box to give cruise. I have fitted it myself, but it is no easy job. You need the actuator and pedal assembly, and a lot of wiring.

The OBC is a very straitforward hack, and well documented. You shouldn't have problems with that.