Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cruise control

A Very Special Thank You to Richard Hamilton in the UK !

My Boxster 986 2.7 2003/2004 Facelift model was recoded by him today and I have a fully functioning OBC and Cruise Control.

During the last week this Porsche Enthuisiast has answered many questions from myself and been inspirational in giving me the confidence to carry this out.

You will not meet a friendlier guy and I`ve had a very nice day today (shame it`s back to work tomorrow) !

I asked Porsche Bristol (0117 900 2911) if they would offer me a discount as i was a member of Boxa.net for new parts and a guy called Duncan Manning gave me 15% off.

This meant that I got a 4 Column Stalk plus all connectors and cap for £145.74, VW wires were £10.26 and some heat shrink tubing elsewhere (big bag) added £3.50.

So for £160 plus a nice bottle of white Chardonnay for Richard (you really should ask for more than this) and 5 or so hours of my own time (I`m slow and double check etc) I have almost the factory option in my car which would have been £750 new. It`s not DotMatrix but I find the information about Temperature, Average mpg, Average Speed, Range until empty tank fine.

Cruise is so useful in the days of speed cameras.

Well Chuffed and had a really good weekend.

Richard Hamilton is a very special and unique human being as he is genuine and willing to help, if more people in this world had similar characteristics there wouldn`t be wars !

Thanks Richard mate we had a good result today !

Edited by milocoon
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

Turned on the OBC and cruise control today on a 2003 S tiptronic made in Feburary 2003. This Boxster did not have OBC or cruise control.

As has been reported, I was not able to change the instrument cluster coding because when you go to that screen it asks for the order type.

Went into the DME and sure enough there was no order type, just 3 dashes ---. Erased the dashes and entered 986320 as the order type.

Started the automatic search all over and then when I selected instrument cluster coding I was then able to see the screen where you can change the coding. Changed the coding to "with" OBC and to "with" cruise control. Then I also changed the DME coding to "with" cruise control. In the picture you can see that the OBC and cruise control has been turned on.

Now the owner needs to buy the parts to complete a dual retrofit.

post-4-1196288733_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note for those who are in the SF Bay area ... I was shopping for the VW wires and came across a shocking difference in prices. I had one quote from a dealer in Walnut Creek for $10/EACH wire. Then I called around the South Bay and found the Stevens Creek VW was asking $5/ea ... another place (Capitol VW) was asking $7/ea ... Finally, I called Winn VW in Newark and they only wanted $3/ea ... Wow :unsure: ... a few dollars each is not THAT bad if you're buying one or two, but we need what nine! Spending a hundred dollars is crazy ... I told the parts guy about the other dealers pricing and all he had to say (with a laugh) was that the markup was ... 'a bit much'!!! :angry:

Just completed the OBC and Cruise Control activation on a 2003 Boxster. I took several pages from this forum to the dealer, just in case they were not familar with the process. When I picked that car up, the mechanic said that he was glad that he had learned something from the request. They (Tom Williams Porsche - Birmingham, AL) charged $110. Thanks again to everyone for helping me and the dealer out.

• Moderators

When we started doing a lot of OBC retrofits years ago I would say we were cheating Porsche out of X dollars for not paying for that option. Now you folks are cheating Porsche out of X dollars for not buying the cruise control option. Oh well, Porsche is still getting our money because we have to buy their parts to do the retrofits.

So, Stan, did you do everything yourself and the only dealer involvement was to turn on the OBC and cruise control? If so, then Porsche got an extra $110 over the cost of the parts you had to buy.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My '99 2.5 has the factory fitted cruise option - but it doesn't work!

When I tap the button on the end of the stalk the cruise indicator light comes on in the cluster but I can't actually set any speed with the stalk.

Looking at the image posted by Tool Pants earlier in this thread, I'm wondering if the control unit attached to the pedal is faulty.

I also wondered if the fuse could be the culprit but looking at the fusebox diagram the cruise chares a fuse with the brake lights and these are working OK.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Greg

• 6 months later...

Just finished retrofitting cruise control to my manual '04 Boxster with OBC last weekend, with the help of all the information on this thread. Extra thanks must go out to Richard Hamilton who provided much useful guidance and recoded the instrument cluster and DME on Monday, and all for the price of a drop or two of dry white! Thanks Richard, for all your help.

A couple of things I found out on the way:

• Halfords (here in the UK) do a complete set of allen-key style torx drivers that are perfect for removing the airbag, as well as so many other fasteners. The set isn't cheap at nearly £10 but it's well worth it.
  • It is not necessary to remove the wiring plug from the front of the clock spring (airbag spring unit) once you've undone the steering wheel - just unplug the spade connectors from the wheel itself and feed the wires through as you remove the wheel. I should have read the instructions more carefully!
  • When replacing the electrical connectors in the back of the instrument cluster it is important to make sure the locking levers on the connector are fully open so they engage and pull the connector completely in to the cluster as they are closed. If they are not fully open they will still ratchet in but not pull the connector completely home. First time I reassembled the cluster I had no instrumentation working at all, simply because the connectors weren't seated properly.
  • There is no mechanical stop for fitting the new 4-stalk switchgear onto the steering column. Don't do as I did and push the switchgear all the way onto the column until it goes no further, as what stops it is the plastic tab on the clock spring for cancelling the indicators which butts up against a flange on the column. When reassembled this tab then slides along the flange as the wheel is rotated rather than moving freely, causing a slight noise which can also be felt. Instead, simply line up the metal circlip (locking band) in the switchgear with the knurled section on the steering column and tighten. Should this require adjustment after reassembling everything, an 8mm socket fits through the bottom part of the column housing so you can release and tighten up the circlip.

All in all, a fun weekend and I now have cruise just in time for a trip to the French Alps next week! Perfect for the journey down, although of course it won't be used in the mountains ...

Michael

• Moderators

I mark the location of the original stalk assembly on the back before I remove it. When I put in the replacement I slide it on, up to the mark.

If you did not mark it first you can also measure it. It is 55 mm from the metal plate to the tip of the splined shaft.

post-4-1219852464_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all you who started this post and added all of the "what I learned" things. I just did a 4 stalk install on my 2003 Boxster S. I ordered the parts from Sunset Imports 800-346-0182 total was $230.52 including all of the pieces listed above. My dealer McDaniel's Porsche in Columbia SC charged me $60 to activate the OBC and cruise. I too had printed out many pages, and the dealer tech intially said he couldn't change it, until the cluster was re-coded. So, $290.52 later I have OBC and Cruise on my Boxster. What's next?

Chuck

• 5 months later...

I'm located in Hayward, CA. As I suspected, the durametric was just a fancy code reader. I own an Audi too, and i'm used to the power of the Vag-Com. I have browsed around the list of local PST2 and PIWIS owners and you and Tool Pants came up. I'm hoping one of you will be able to help me turn these features ON for when I decide to dive into this project. I'm willing to pay in form of beer or anything under the outrageous dealership pricetag.

I have another question, although offtopic, how difficult is it to add Porsche traction control (PSM?)? is this also as simple as toggling a computer setting?

Thank you!

• Admin
I'm located in Hayward, CA. As I suspected, the durametric was just a fancy code reader. I own an Audi too, and i'm used to the power of the Vag-Com. I have browsed around the list of local PST2 and PIWIS owners and you and Tool Pants came up. I'm hoping one of you will be able to help me turn these features ON for when I decide to dive into this project. I'm willing to pay in form of beer or anything under the outrageous dealership pricetag.

I have another question, although offtopic, how difficult is it to add Porsche traction control (PSM?)? is this also as simple as toggling a computer setting?

Thank you!

Tool Pants is in San Jose and I am in Roseville.

If you want to make the drive over here I'll be happy to turn on your OBC and Cruise Control.

PSM is primarily hardware and a small amount of software. It is a huge job to retro-fit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in VA

Can anyone suggest a shopr or dealer to do the install of the Cruise contol, I have the obc just need to add the 4th stalk and wire up.

This is an 04 S. I just dont have the proper place to perform this mod.

Thanks

Fly. :D

Where do you live?

• 1 month later...

Could some one please tell me what coloured wires from the OBC go to what pins in the instrument panel..?

All the post so far use the numbers on the plug, which I am not using.

The wires coming out the the stalks are

Grey

Blue

Green

White

White & Black

Even if someone lets me know which one is earth I will be able to work out the rest from the previous posts.

Cheers Guys

• Admin
Could some one please tell me what coloured wires from the OBC go to what pins in the instrument panel..?

All the post so far use the numbers on the plug, which I am not using.

The wires coming out the the stalks are

Grey

Blue

Green

White

White & Black

Even if someone lets me know which one is earth I will be able to work out the rest from the previous posts.

Cheers Guys

:welcome:

MY01 Boxster

BN/BU - Ground

post-1-1241791463_thumb.png