Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cruise control

• 3 months later...

I have just completed the OBC/cruise hack. OBC was enabled on a white instrument cluster I bought off fleabay so that worked straight off. Is it normal for cruise to be completely dead (no lights etc) until it's enabled? The sheath on the cable I used going to the fusebox is really tough so the scotchlok may not have penetrated. However if nothing happens until it is turned on then I wont worry.

If the cruise is enabled, you should get the green cruise symbol in the dash when you turn the ignition on. It will go out soon after.

Cruise may need to be enabled in the DME and cluster, depending on model year. Once correctly coded, the cruise light will come on when the ignition is on, and the stalk button depressed.

If you are anywhere near me and need help with the coding, drop me a PM.

Thanks Richard,

It's the 2003 model, it's due a service in a couple of weeks so I was going to ask them to turn it on then. I realised that it wouldn't work until it was enabled, just wondered if there was a light or anything to show it was connected correctly before I take it to the garage. I will get them to check both the DME & cluster as shown on here.

If you had been closer, I would have been it touch already after reading your posts on this.

Can now see I got 29.7 mpg on the way to work today, not bad as it's all fun twisty B roads.

• 4 months later...

Well, I've just taken the plunge and commited to buying a cruise stalk for the Boxster on the Boxa.net forum. I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions about how to get the thing working in due course. This thread already looks a wealth of information though!

James

Edited by perksy

• 7 months later...

Apologies for bring this up again as I see you have been writing about this mod for 10 years but would appreciate your help / knowledge.I have a May 02 Boxster 3.2S with OBC and the indicator switch needs replace. Having read the threads on retro fitting the 4 stalk unit and enabling cruise control, I am minded to do this, especially as I have been quoted £304 for a 3 stalk and £213 for a 4 stalk unit.I thought I had the install sorted in my mind and on paperMy parts list was:996-613-219-10 EWC 4 stalk unit999-652-972-40 stalk connector999-652-973-40 stalk connector cover999-652-901-22 female pins 8off (plus extras)VW repair wire 000-979-010 (E?) 1offI was then going to connect as followsCruise control connector pin To Wire colour 1 DME Pin 27 Black 2 Fuse B7 Black 3 DME Pin 25 yellow 4 DME Pin 19 Brown/yellowAndinstrument cluster pin 17 DME pin 18Then go to the dealer get them to check the DME Order Type is 98320 and that the Instrument cluster and DME are both set to “With Cruise Control”.However, now having read further I am now confused. (Not for the first time)As I said this is a May 02, 3.2S (VIN No. WPOZZZ98Z2U643784) and I read that if it is 01/02 it does not need the VW lead between the cluster and the DME could you confirm this is right? If so do I just run the wires from the DME and the fuse to theStalk?Also although the car is May 02 it has clear lamps and red/white tail lights which appear factory fitted so is it a face lift?Further on checking the label on the DME the Part no. is 996.618.605.00 and Typ is 65 or 85 (The ink stamp is smudged), but I noted that beside the Bosche part no. 0 261 204 790 there is a small printed box with 078 in it, so is this a 7.8 DME?If it is the 7.8 do I need to run the wires to the instrument cluster, using VW connectors instead of running them to the DME?Appreciate any guidance

Hi Robert

I did reply to your PM via the email address you provided, with a wiring diagram. This is what I said:

Hi Robert
DO NOT connect the wire between instrument cluster and DME. If you do, it will blow the cruise circuit in the DME.
I have attached a diagram, which shows the connections you need to make. Yours is DME7.2. DME7.8 was introduced for Model Year 2003.on the Boxster.
Personally, I would use the VW Repair Wires shown, and extend them, as they are a perfect fit in the DME and cruise stalk plugs, and much easier than crimping.
The order type is 986321 for a RHD 986S, by the way. If you are anywhere near me (Maidenhead, Berks) I would be happy to code it for you.
Atb
Richard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Happy New Year to All!

Back in early December I bought a second hand 4 stalk controller for my 2004 Boxster S. I presently don't have cruise or access to my OBC and thought the upgrade would be a good winter project. I purchased the controller from Oklahoma Foreign who informed me it would work with my car. When I received it I had a quick look at it and all looked in good order.

I'm just starting to make a list of the different parts I'm going to need for this project and after a closer look at the controller stalk I noticed the sticker number is 99661321710 KLS 203231. My car has the headlight washers which this stalk also has. If I recall, this stalk came out of a carrera.

With the two electrical connectors, one has 4 pins and the other has 5 pins but is capable of 6.

Do you foresee a problem with this controller stalk in my car?

• 3 months later...

Help with OBC connector.

My car is a 2004 Boxster S.

I'm getting ready to install a 4 stalk controller to enable OBC and cruise. I've read the previous post and thought I had it all figured out with Richard Hamiltons Post 47:

2003-4 Boxster Cruise:

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 17 - Stalk Connector Pin 1

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 4 - Stalk Connector Pin 3

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 1 - Stalk Connector Pin 4

Fuse B7 - Stalk Connector Pin 2

2003-4 Boxster OBC:

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 23 - Stalk Connector Pin 2

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 22 - Stalk Connector Pin 3

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 21 - Stalk Connector Pin 4

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 24 - Stalk Connector Pin 5

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 25 - Stalk Connector Pin 6

Earth (ground) - Stalk Connector Pin 1

Then I read petermunns Post 123 and Lorens Post 124 with the wiring diagram, and I started wondering???
it shows: A1(BN/BU,ground) // A5(Bu/BN) // A4(GY/BN) // A6(BK/BN, not needed) // A2(WH/BN) // A3(YE/BN)
Then I looked at my OBC stalk connector and the wire to Pin allocation is:
Pin 1(wh/blk) // Pin2(wh) // Pin3(gn) // Pin4(bu) // Pin5(gy) // Pin6(empty).
This wire color and pin allocation does not match the wiring diagram Loren attached.
So now I'm confused. Do I just go with Richards "Cluster Pin to Stalk Pin connection" and forget about wire color or do I follow Lorens wiring diagram paying attention to color of wire?
Pat.

• 4 weeks later...

2004 S

As a follow up, I installed the 4 stalk controller I purchased from Oklahoma Foreign and yesterday had the OBC and Cruise switched on at an indy shop in Gardiner Maine (european auto surgeons). It only took them 15-20 minutes and a test ride to insure all was working properly.

Both functions work well and I was impressed how well the cruise control worked with little fluctuation from the speed as set.

Thanks to all in this thread.

Pat.

• 1 year later...

I know OBC can be initialized prior to installing a switch or stalk, with OAT being the default.

Can the cruise control be initialized in the dash and DME prior to installing the 4 stalk?

Loren, do you still live in Roseville area?

Edited by Docdanracy

• Admin

I know OBC can be initialized prior to installing a switch or stalk, with OAT being the default.

Can the cruise control be initialized in the dash and DME prior to installing the 4 stalk?

Loren, do you still live in Roseville area?

That depends on the model year of the car. On the later model cars you have code both the cluster and the DME -- and it does not show until the switch or stalk is installed.

Yes, I still live in Roseville.

Thanks for the quick reply

My current Boxster is a 2003S I purchased a few months ago...it is the lowest optioned BoxsterS I have ever seen.

Bose Stereo and Wind blocker....that's it.

So obviously a little tinkering is in order.

A 4 stalk is needed!

I am getting a used stalk from a buddy who just completed building a spec Boxster.

I will be getting all the wiring complete to the dash plugs too.

I live in Auburn now.

I met you years ago at a home in Almaden Valley...

Henry was his name I believe....also met ToolPants there

At that time I had a 1999 Box

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Great thread. I'm new to this forum. Just got a 2002 Boxster S Tiptronic. I love it. I'd like to do the Cruise Control retrofit. My indy mechanic can add the CC stalk and do the wiring but he doesn't have the tool to do the coding and activation.

Is there anyone in Southern California that could activate the Cruise Control?

Thanks

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi everyone!

A couple years back I decided to add cruise to my 2004 Boxster S. I have OBC from the factory. I installed a new 4-stalk switch and wired everything up per the pinouts above (same as found in Wayne's 101 Projects book also.)

Long story short, I have never been able to get the cluster coded-- not at the dealer and not with Durametric Pro. Durametric shows cruise active in the DME but when we try to activate it in the cluster nothing happens-- no error message, no progress message, nothing. 

I'm going to have a go at coding again at a friend's indi shop later this week, and in preparation for that I've replaced the clutch switch with a new one from Porsche (the old one tested good, but hey, just in case) and taken the dash apart for the third time to check the wiring and all appears to be correct. Some suggested that a missing or burned-out dash lamp will prevent coding, but this is a facelift car, and has all LEDs for the dash lamps (I disassembled and checked.) The cruise lamp does not light when starting the car, but as understand it, it shouldn't unless cruse is activated.

I believe I am down to the last options: 1) remember to make sure that the Order Code is set to 986320 before trying to code the cluster (didn't check this last time), and 2) maybe I have a faulty stalk switch or some wiring issue I haven't found.

With regard to number (2) I did some checking while I had everything apart, and this is what I can tell you:

a) turning on the cruise (stalk pushbutton) connects 12V between stalk pin 2 (supplied from fuse B7) and stalk pin 4 (and then gives 12V to cluster pin 1.) 

b) A push of the stalk towards "Resume/decel" gives continuity between stalk pins 1 and 4 (cluster pins 17 and 1.)

c) A push of the stalk towards "Cancel" gives continuity between stalk pins 3 and 4 (cluster pins 4 and 1.)

d) A push of the stalk towards "Set" gives nothing between any pin combinations. *This one concerns me!*

As I mentioned, we'll try the coding again this week and see if the change of clutch switch made any difference, but if you guys have any input I'd love to hear it!

ALSO: if someone can post or PM me the correct cluster/cruise wiring diagram for my car I'd really appreciate it. THANKS!