Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Leak causing smoke under heavy acceleration

My 996 is a US '99 C4 Coupe, 6 speed with 63k miles.

I have had an occassional issue which has been niggling me for a while now. If I get "into the spirit" so to speak and accelorate hard, up into the 5-6k rev range through the gears, I sometime will leave a trail of white smoke behind me, which stops as quickly as it starts once I drop the revs back down. It doesn't do it everytime, just now and then. It doesn't appear to be oil getting into the cyclinders and hence burning, but more likely a leak scenario as it leaves a splattering of fine oil residue on the back bumper/trunk.

At first I worried about the dreaded RMS but think it unlikely given the car does not leak oil when idle at all.

In researching the threads here on Renntech, it points me to suspect the Air/Oil Separator or Bellows vacuuming oil into the intake. I have managed to reduce the problem by keeping the oil level in the lower quartile on the dipstick rather than too full, again this (I think) supports the theory ! I was hoping I was right as it doesn't sound too horrible a fix and one I could tackle on a DIY basis I'm sure.

The smoking incident happened again tonight so I took a look underneath to see if I could see any "tell-tale" oil signs tonight and found an oily patch over to the left (drivers side) of the oil pan just above the exhaust down pipes (obviously dripping onto the pipe). I have included a photo attached which shows this.

So my question to anyone out there that knows much more about these issues than I do is, does this oil patch/leak look to be in any way related to the AOS/Bellows or is it something completely different do you think ? And if so, any thoughts as to what might be the problem.

Thanks for any help. :cheers:

Darren.

post-4375-1128476008_thumb.jpg

All of the symptoms here are confusing. I 've always thought that if an engine blows smoke at high revs ,it always indicates worn piston rings. The oil indicated in the picture, if I'm looking at what I think it is, is a leak from the cam-cover.I've had this on my 99 996 and it looks similar.

Good-luck

Jason