Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing Mufflers and Tips

I swap my exhaust from stock to Fabspeed Cup Bypass pipes quite a bit. (can't stand the noise on the street, and neither can the neighbors!) I have access to a friends shop, and therefor a lift. To your question... The exhaust can be changed w/o taking the wheels off. If you are cool with just kick'n it on your back in the drive... have a good time!

What exhaust are you putting on?

-SD

The first time I did it, having the wheels off and the car on jacks helped to see where everything was, and to let my fat hands get to the nuts.

Second time, wheels stayed on, no problem getting to the nuts after you figure out best angle of attack for your arms/tools.

When I installed my PSE few years ago, I did the driver side first without taking the wheel off. The car was on a lift. I had hard time to rotate the old muffler to the right angle & slided it out. Also a lot of effort to put the PSE in. I didn't want to scratch the panel or the heat shield. I took the rear wheel off when I did the other side and it was installed very easy.

I think for someone with experience, it is not necessary to remove the wheels. If it's first time and don't have any helper, I would suggest take the rear wheels off. BTW, mine rears are 18" 285

From Gary's picture, it looks a lot easier with the rear bumper off. Gary, How long does it take to remove & put the bumper?

Well we did it! We managed to install the Dansk Super Sport exhaust with quad tips today. The quad pipe tips look great, but they are huge! They actually are so big that they 'touch' the bumper edge.. Is this ok? Do the tips get so hot they may damage my bumper?

The exhaust sounds great. No resonance so far. Much louder than stock exhaust.

It was actually not that easy to get the old mufflers out though! It does take some work, those bolts are hard to get to, and there isn't much room to work. Then putting it in it is quite difficult to get the one mounting bracket bolt in, not much room to get your hand back there.

Had it on jacks, left the wheels on.

Also, taking the bracket off the old muffler that holds the muffler to the tips was miserable. That thing was really stuck on there. Worried we would break it in the process. Would advise anyone who is doing this to make sure they order a new set of brackets so they don't need the old ones to put the tips on the new muffler.

When I started the car up there was quite a lot of smoke for the first couple minutes, and there was some bad odor, but sure this 'normal' for a new muffler.

Will put up pics if any one wants.

Mike

• Moderators

It takes about 5 minutes to take off the bumper cover. There are 3 screws on each side, a few on the top that you see when you open the engine cover, and 3-4 on the back bottom.

I put a old blanket on the floor under the bumper when I take it off, because it can fall off when the last screw comes out.

As far as the tips touching the bumper cover, you should be able to adjust that if the pipe that the tips are on is held on with the circle clamp like on the OEM mufflers. It is not good to have the tips rubbing on the urethane bumper cover. Not that it will melt (but it might heat deform the cover) and it but it will rub the paint off.

Yes, I really don't want them touching.. Unfortunately they are so large they fill the entire orifice! There really is no way to orient them such that they are not touching some part with out them pointing at a weird angle (ie downward). These are Dansk quad tips. I'm writing the company to make sure they are right size for my 996 (c4 02' cab) .. They almost seem too big.

Ok here is a picture of my passenger exhaust. You can see it is pretty tight.

No matter how I adjust it, somewhere on it it touches the bumper!

What do you guys think

PS Sorry the car is dirty, its bad weather here.

Thanks

Mikepost-7154-1131433659_thumb.jpg

Wow, that is a tight fit. My suggestion would be to take the car to a good body shop. There they should be able to trim a bit of the bumper for the muffler opennings.

If you are tactile, detail oriented, good with precision you can give it a shot with a dremel, a fine file, and sand paper.

Edited by Gabo2k

Ok, after much fiddeling was able to put the tips in a position such that they do not touch any part of the bumper.. However there is only about 1-2 mm clearance at some points. I'm going to see if this is ok... Quite honestly there does not seem to be any way to make this better, other than adjusting the whole rear bumper upwards!

The key to adjusting the tips seems to be loosening everything up.. have someone hold the tip in the position you want it.. and then tighten everything up.

Mike

i would get rid of the tips. they're too close and frankly they don't look that good all wedged in. i ruined a bumper due to a poorly angled stock tip. i can only imagine what will happen with your setup. i certainly wouldn't mod the bumper just to try and make the tips fit. just put the stock tips back on till you can find another set you like. the sound will be the same.

Suggest you remove them :

1/ Fire danger .... they will rub the bumper because the engine will move slightly while driving ( accelerating and decelerating). Those tips may get hot

2/ It does not look good

3/ You might get vibrations and additional noise in the car when or if they touch the bumper.

• 1 month later...
Suggest you remove them :

1/ Fire danger .... they will rub the bumper because the engine will move slightly while driving ( accelerating and decelerating). Those tips may get hot

2/ It does not look good

3/ You might get vibrations and additional noise in the car when or if they touch the bumper.

On this note you can use a Dremel type tool to trim away a conservative amount of the cover and use door trim to tidy up the edges. If you think it through you can give yourself one really good custom look. Good luck with it!