Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Change Instructions

• 2 months later...

A tip for changing oil on 996. No jacking necessary all of the time:

Depending on your garage floor and driveway, you may not have to raise the car: (Similar to driving up on 2X10s but even easier).

My garage floor has a 2" lip/step down where the door closes and where the driveway meets the garage door from the outside.

I backed the rear tires close to that lip (block the tires to be safe) and let the rear of the car hang over the lip/step down, on to the driveway.

Just that amount of clearance is enough for me to get the plug and filter out, and to put a catch pan there.

Don't do unnecessary work if your garage floor/driveway has this raised lip/step down.

This is an easy, quick, and safe way to change the oil on your Carrera.

• Admin
I personally would only use the Porsche part - it's only about 30 cents. I would hate to lose all of my oil because of something like that.

1 ea 900 123 106 30 Aluminum Sealing Ring

Is this the same part that would be used on a MY06 2.7l Boxster?

Yes, it is the same part.

• 2 months later...

Well, I finally received the Hazet wrench (2169) in the mail last week and changed the oil on my06 Boxster.

Interesting that I have seen a number of specifications on how much oil was required; 7.75l to 8.5l because...

I drained the oil, replaced the filter and added 8 of the 9 liters of Mobil1 0w40 that I had bought. Since I was aware that over filling was frowned upon I stopped there and set up all of the empties to drain into there partners (4 on 4 so to speak!)

So I started the engine and let it warm, drove it around a bit until it was fully warmed up and then parked back in my shop perfectly level so I could check the oil level after dinner. A turn of the key and the OBC revealed that it was 1 segment down. I added the oil that I had collected from the 8 donor containers which was about 200ml. I again went through the process to check the oil and now the OBC showed the level was correct.

So only 8 liters (with filter) on my car, it has been nearly a week now and it still registers full. Just in case I thought it could be on the cusp to needing more, I parked on a very slight "right to left grade (2-3 cm difference) and the OBC registered an over-full condition.

Is there much of a variance between engines?

hmmm, after looking at the picture and text in post #21 above, maybe there was some oil left in the engine? I did not have the car level when I removed the oil, only the rear wheels were on ramps (6")

Edited by Westcoaster

one quick question!

i have an 03 carrera cab 6 spd with 65k on it. i live in los angeles, Ca. so the weather is hot most of the year. In the manual it recomends to use a 15w40/10w40 or 20 w50/15w40 or 20w40/ 15w50 if the temp is over 50f. so what should i use? so far ive only managed to find 10w40 and 15w50. what do you recommend. thank you

• Admin
one quick question!

i have an 03 carrera cab 6 spd with 65k on it. i live in los angeles, Ca. so the weather is hot most of the year. In the manual it recomends to use a 15w40/10w40 or 20 w50/15w40 or 20w40/ 15w50 if the temp is over 50f. so what should i use? so far ive only managed to find 10w40 and 15w50. what do you recommend. thank you

Approved oils (on Porsche's list) as of April 2007 include only -

Synthetic oils that are:

0W-40

5W-40

5W-50

The Porsche TSB supersedes any manuals statements.

Any of the listed oils will work fine.

one quick question!

Approved oils (on Porsche's list) as of April 2007 include only -

Synthetic oils that are:

0W-40

5W-40

5W-50

The Porsche TSB supersedes any manuals statements.

Any of the listed oils will work fine.

thank you

• 1 month later...

I want to contribute to this post with some pics:

(I did it a couple of months ago)

Here you can see the allen hexagonal wrench (8 mm)

dscn0413je2.jpg

A pan to gather the used oil:

img2890wc6.jpg

You'll never must be in a hurry ... let the oil fall down till the last drop...

img2889jh1.jpg

The oil filter tool remover (juankimalo's hand :P )

img2891at4.jpg

The first pic is about my car (996 C2 MY04)

The rest of the pics are about a 996 C4S MY03 of my friend (We did the oil change to both cars)

Very important:

We used a graduated test tube (glass), and we did a meticulous measurement to fill the engine oil.

004vi111703_462.jpg

8,25 litters with oil filter (3.6 engine capabilty).

We used two 4 L bottles and 1 L bottle of Mobil 1 5W50 (ideal viscosity for Spain)

Every 4 L. bottle has really 3,8 L.

So if you don't use a test graduated tube to fill the engine oil, take care about the real content of every bottle.

We needed two "4" L. bottles, and almost 550 cc from the 1 L bottle to complete the engine oil capability (8,25 litters)

It's very advisable to use the test tube, if you are a perfectionist

Edited by juankimalo

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick note for 997 drivers. I have a 08 997S cab. everything is the same except that the bottom of the engine has a skid plate covering it. Porsche thoughtfully made a hole in it to allow drain plug removal BUT if you drain the oil without taking the skid plate off you end up with oil on the topside of the skid plate (ask how I know!) the oil drains fine to start with but near the end it tends to swirl to one side of the drain plug and end up on the top side (under the engine) of the skid plate.

You can poke a rag in to clean it (I did - until I got the tools to remove the skid plate) but that is not how I like to work.

The fix is simple the skid plate is held on by three External Torox bolts, they are located at the rear of the skid plate (2 off) and one in the front center. You need an E10 9 star socket to remove them, the space is small so a socket with a 1/4 inch drive would be great but I could only find one with a 3/8 drive. At first I could not get the socket in place, so one more trip to the parts store and I bought the thinnest (lowest profile) 3/8 driver I could find. After that it was simple to remove the plate (note how it fits before taking off) clean it and put it back. I do not know the torque settings but they were not that tight so I just snugged them up when I finished.

Loren,

Question regarding my 99 Box. From what I can tell, the oil has not been changed for quite some time: could be a year or so and at least 8K miles. Would you recommend an engine flush such as Swepco 501 or BG Quick Clean? With the engine having 90K miles, what weight would you recommend 5W 40, 5W 50, or some other weight? Is there an additive you would recommend? I have used BG products with great success.

Ed

• Admin
Loren,

Question regarding my 99 Box. From what I can tell, the oil has not been changed for quite some time: could be a year or so and at least 8K miles. Would you recommend an engine flush such as Swepco 501 or BG Quick Clean? With the engine having 90K miles, what weight would you recommend 5W 40, 5W 50, or some other weight? Is there an additive you would recommend? I have used BG products with great success.

Ed

I personally would not recommend any flushes or oil additives unless the car had been sitting (and not started) for quite some time (over one year).

I would suggest that you get the engine good and hot - let it cool some and then drain all the oil that you can. Give it at least 30 minutes or more.

Then refill with a good approved oil.

• 2 weeks later...

I just called my local Porsche dealership, and they quoted me $38 for the oil filter wrench. I'm going to try the cheaper tool recommended ('Flo Tool...') first, $38 seems a bit like highway robbery. But you might want to update the first post, $7-$22 doesn't seem to be correct, unless my dealership is just gouging me.

Mobil does make a 5W50... it's just not available in the US.

these guys can get it, and lots of other manufactures that may be hard to come by: Lubify

I got pretty good prices on filters from them too. I don't get anything from it, but tell them fellow autocrosser Kevin sent ya.

• 1 month later...

I did my first oil change yesterday on my 99 C2.... :) Completed the change without any problem except that my car took more than 9 quarts of oil. The console displayed the oil level to be 1/4 full. I'm wondering if I missed a step through the oil change process unless if the oil sensor is failing. 0W40 oil is not easily accessible in Canada unless you get them directly from the dealer. Castrol Syntec has 0W30 which is Porsche certified (as per their label). Good thing that my wife's office is about 15 minutes away from the dealership as I told her to pick up a couple of litres of oil... hope that is enough for top up.

I'll be taking a trip to Michigan end of the month. I will pick up 2 cases of oil.

• Admin
I did my first oil change yesterday on my 99 C2.... :) Completed the change without any problem except that my car took more than 9 quarts of oil. The console displayed the oil level to be 1/4 full. I'm wondering if I missed a step through the oil change process unless if the oil sensor is failing. 0W40 oil is not easily accessible in Canada unless you get them directly from the dealer. Castrol Syntec has 0W30 which is Porsche certified (as per their label). Good thing that my wife's office is about 15 minutes away from the dealership as I told her to pick up a couple of litres of oil... hope that is enough for top up.

I'll be taking a trip to Michigan end of the month. I will pick up 2 cases of oil.

If you have a MY99 then you have a dipstick too. What does the dipstick show?

Dipstick shows half full. I turned on the ignition and it is showing half as well. I guess I needed to turn off the engine and wait until the oil is fully settled before measuring.