Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Change Instructions

Search here works just like on Google. You can tell it give you only topics with specific words. For this question I searched for +stripped +drain +plug

So it only found topic with all three of those words.

Thanks for that help. I tried 4 different stores to get a screw extractor and found it at the last one. I stripped out the drain plug so bad, the extractor would not fit. So I resorted to using my dremmel (as described in one of the posts) and was able to make a large screw driver fit a cut I made. All in all it took me 3 hours. I finished my last triathlon faster than that! I really needed that information on screw extraction so huge thanks.

If anyone would like to see how I took the roof transport system brackets, had them modified to accept a Yakima rack system, just let me know.

C.

• 3 months later...
Note: Part numbers sometimes change without notice. Always double check with your supplier that you have the latest part numbers.

Parts you will need:

1 ea 996 107 225 60 (for 3.6 liter engines) or 996 107 225 53 or 996 107 225 52 (for 3.4 liter engines) Oil Filter (with O-ring)

1 ea 900 123 106 30 Aluminum Sealing Ring

9 ea 996 106 665 55 Mobil 1 0W-40 or equal

Tools you will need:

Tire ramps or jack

8 mm allen wrench or allen hex socket

Oil filter wrench (p/n 000 721 920 40) (tool 9204 about $7 to $22 at your dealer) image

27 mm socket (or a wrench big enough to fit the oil filter wrench)

9 quart oil catch pan

Torque wrench (optional)

Model/Capacity in Liters (US quarts) (approx.)

911 Carrera (3.4 liter engine) - 8.50 liters (8.98 US quarts)

911 Carrera (3.6 liter engine MY02 on) - 8.25 liters (8.71 US quarts)

Boxster - 8.50 liters (8.98 US quarts)

Two questions:

1. Which parts and tools would be different for a 997-1 (3.8 litre motor)?

2. Where can I obtain a Maintenance Schedule? The stack of manuals that came with my 2nd-hand '05 C2S coupe

didn't include one.

Thanks.

• Admin
Note: Part numbers sometimes change without notice. Always double check with your supplier that you have the latest part numbers.

Parts you will need:

1 ea 996 107 225 60 (for 3.6 liter engines) or 996 107 225 53 or 996 107 225 52 (for 3.4 liter engines) Oil Filter (with O-ring)

1 ea 900 123 106 30 Aluminum Sealing Ring

9 ea 996 106 665 55 Mobil 1 0W-40 or equal

Tools you will need:

Tire ramps or jack

8 mm allen wrench or allen hex socket

Oil filter wrench (p/n 000 721 920 40) (tool 9204 about $7 to $22 at your dealer) image

27 mm socket (or a wrench big enough to fit the oil filter wrench)

9 quart oil catch pan

Torque wrench (optional)

Model/Capacity in Liters (US quarts) (approx.)

911 Carrera (3.4 liter engine) - 8.50 liters (8.98 US quarts)

911 Carrera (3.6 liter engine MY02 on) - 8.25 liters (8.71 US quarts)

Boxster - 8.50 liters (8.98 US quarts)

Two questions:

1. Which parts and tools would be different for a 997-1 (3.8 litre motor)?

2. Where can I obtain a Maintenance Schedule? The stack of manuals that came with my 2nd-hand '05 C2S coupe

didn't include one.

Thanks.

1. Everything is the same for 996 and 997 including tools.

2. You can download the Maintenance Schedules here.

See the minor maintenance schedule for your model car.

Sorry, I guess I must be hit over the head with it, but I can't find any oil/filter change intervals in the downloaded Minor Maintenance schedule or my manual. What am I missing, besides a few brain cells? I can only guess that it's every 10,000 miles or yearly. Please forgive me for being such a pain.

Um... 2nd item on maintenance list...

post-1-1225312903_thumb.png

It CAN'T mean every 40,000 miles. . . . can it? (I'm starting to feel really stupid here) Or maybe the On-Board Computer's supposed to tell me? And yes, I'm using the specified Mobil 1 synthetic.

Max change interval IMHO is once per year or every 12,000 miles.

I change mine every 6 months regardless of mileage but that is just me.

I'm used to an oil/filter change on my old M-B diesel every 3000 mi, so this is all quite new to me. And this on top of 355 bhp: I'm loving it! (My apologies Loren, if I strayed from the thread. . . )

You have to look at both the minor maintenance schedule and the major maintenance schedule. They dovetail with each other in terms of time and mileage. Thus, the manufacturer's suggested oil change interval in this case is every 2 years or 20,000 miles. --Brian

post-6002-1225384853_thumb.jpg

You have to look at both the minor maintenance schedule and the major maintenance schedule. They dovetail with each other in terms of time and mileage. Thus, the manufacturer's suggested oil change interval in this case is every 2 years or 20,000 miles. --Brian

Ah. Good catch Brian! Thanks! Don't know why Porsche doesn't say that outright in their manual. Sure woulda saved me a lot of embarrassing and tedious questions to patient Loren!

Rick

• 2 months later...

Loren, thank you so much for the oil change DIY, this is an invaluable resource.

I had a question I was wondering if you could help me with. I'm about to do my first oil change on my 2003 996 Targa. I've noticed on this DIY below:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-...-with-pics.html

that the oil tank is also drained (in addition to the engine case drain). Is draining the oil tank necessary in your opinion? Or would this apply to my 996 Targa (2003)?

TIA!

pete- thanks, i just noticed that DIY was for GT2/3 only. sorry about that and thanks again!

The GT3 motor is different than the standard 996 motor and doesn't have dry sump or external reservoir (GT3 has a derivative of the 964 block where we have m96). Follow the DIY at the beginning of this thread and you should be fine.

• 1 month later...